2 Year Old Shepherd, Vomiting & Bloody Watery Diarrhea - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

That includes 0% fat yogurts or "no sugar added" yogurts...these all contain artificial sweeteners....plain is really the only one they should have IF they can tollerate
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

HGE! That's what the vet was talking about that I could not remember, but she could not determine if it was present as everything appeared to be normal after the x-rays and blood cell count.

Morres slept through the entire tire right beside me on his couch so I guess that's a good sign. I gave him an two ice cubes last night before falling asleep and no vomit or diarrhea overnight so things are looking good I guess. He's wagging his tail when my parents woke up and greeted him. We'll see if he will drink a little bit of water and eat a small amount of rice that we just cooked. Our follow up appointment with the vet is at 11am, if nothing serious happens from right now (7:24am) to a few minutes before the vet visit. If everything goes well at the vets office this morning, we're planning on taking Morres to see his regular vet on Thursday just to make sure everything that was done is alright. I'm sure there is no need to do it but its more of a peace of mind thing for us all then anything else.

Thanks again for the help everyone and thank you for your prayers. Thank God he slept well and nothing crazy happened overnight.

I will keep you all updated
mikeschmeee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
HGE! That's what the vet was talking about that I could not remember, but she could not determine if it was present as everything appeared to be normal after the x-rays and blood cell count.
Yes, apparently it's caused by different things, including bacteria overgrowth, so antibiotics and fluids and anti-nausea were just the ticket!
I hope your beautiful dog continues to improve
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 10:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

One of my dogs had HGE - I will see if I can find a thread with the information posted for someone else...

You need to keep an eye on the blood work - it is a very fixable issue, but deadly if not taken care of quickly and well.

Some links with links:
Post - dog had HGE?

Diet and Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis
Old 11-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would look towards the food you are giving and treats, especially if jerky treats, or bully sticks (if your vet thinks it's bacteria related)...a number of these things have been on recall lists lately and well....always it seems...check your brand of food (if kibble) and treats and google it with "recall" at the end and e-mail them to ask if there has been a recall you may have missed, you will need the UPC and lot code and expiry. Also have a look at it and smell it to see if any mold...Wellness is/has a recall (not sure if done yet), but postponed do to "Sandy" hurricane - something about servers being down ()...huge chunks of mold were found

Campylobacter sp (bacteria)
Salmonella sp (bacteria) re: kibble/pet food recalls
Clostridium sp (bacteria) re: chicken/duck/or other "jerky" treats
Escherichia coli (bacteria)
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 11-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

I just brought Morres breakfast in bed! What a spoiled guy. 1/2 cup of water and a very small handful of freshly soft boiled rice. Probably about a tablespoon. I don't want to push anything and we were advised by the vet to give him small portions of food and water throughout the day.

In regards to his food, Morres has been eating Acana Ranchlands, which has beef and lamb as the first ingredients, for a little more then a year. In the beginning he had an upset stomach as I believe certain ingredients in his food did not agree with him. I did some research and thought Acana is a good quality dry food. I'll check to see if its been recalled though. I doubt it was because he already ate three quarters of the bag so I think his symptoms would have showed up a lot sooner then just over this past long weekend.

Last edited by mikeschmeee; 11-14-2012 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:02 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeschmeee View Post
I just brought Morres breakfast in bed! What a spoiled guy. 1/2 cup of water and a very small handful of freshly soft boiled rice. Probably about a tablespoon. I don't want to push anything and we were advised by the vet to give him small portions of food and water throughout the day.
Yep, small amounts throughout the day, perfect!
Just like we, as humans, wouldn't want to go to an all-you-can-eat-buffet the day after we were puking and having diarrhea
Old 11-14-2012, 11:22 AM   #18 (permalink)

^
hah, you got that right.

Now that GatorBytes mentioned about a food recall it got me thinking about the beef recall that was done in Alberta last month but even so Morres would of had symptoms much sooner and we purchased the bag of food about a month prior to the beef recall so I'm pretty sure I can rule that out before my paranoia starts up again and if there was any sign of salmonella the vet would have seen it in the blood work or in a fecal smear.

He followed me to the bathroom but stopped at the stairs, waited until I came back and now hes back on his couch. He's been resting on the couch a lot but maybe thats due to all his stress and tired from everything thats been going on around him. I'm hoping he is not out of energy and dehydrated again to a point where he needs IV fluids again but he gladly drank the water and ate his rice willingly. We'll just have to wait and see what the vet says in a few hours and go on from there. The observing part is definitely the worst as you don't know what will happen.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:26 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Alot of things can cause HGE, I wouldn't be pointing the finger at food/treats necessarily at this point.

All those are things you need to mention to the vet, so they can decide when/if to implicate a food or treat.

In fact, in one of the links Jean provided it is stated:
Quote:
Cause
The cause of HGE is unknown. There is no evidence for the underlying cause to be an infection, due to dietary factors or a toxin. The most likely cause seems to be an abnormal immune response.

A similar syndrome of acute intestinal haemorrhage (often colonic) has been reported to occur in association with pancreatitis, the administration of corticosteroids and trauma to the central nervous system.

Last edited by msvette2u; 11-14-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:51 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeschmeee View Post
^
hah, you got that right.

Now that GatorBytes mentioned about a food recall it got me thinking about the beef recall that was done in Alberta last month but even so Morres would of had symptoms much sooner and we purchased the bag of food about a month prior to the beef recall so I'm pretty sure I can rule that out before my paranoia starts up again and if there was any sign of salmonella the vet would have seen it in the blood work or in a fecal smear.

Please no not mistake human food for what is used in pet food, it's not the same. Not sure the exact testing when looking for specific pathogens, some require staining so special tests have to be done...there is no catch all in blood and fecel - the fecal likely looked for parasites not bacteria.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.