Bloody diarrhea and intermittent vomiting - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 AM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Jeeze I hope you get this figured out soon. You must be so stressed out!

BTW, my friend's dog somehow ate rat poison. She doesn't have it around her house either, so she wasn't sure where she got it. She started off lethargic and salivating, then her gums were bleeding a bit, which I guess is the first signs. A shot of vitamin K and she was alright. Scary stuff though.

Is it worth going to another vet for a second opinion? Not saying your current vet isn't ok, but maybe it would be good to get another brain working on this?

Please keep us updated!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVGSD View Post
She is back to brown stool with blood in it, versus just liquid blood on Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. The Prednisone may be the reason for the change. Time will tell. Yes, very frustrating.
We had a foster who came in with pancreatitis secondary to Cushing's.
He didn't start out with bloody diarrhea but Sunday evening it turned brownish red which is, I think, how you describe your dog's?

I would recommend Tylan for this dog which sounds like he has colitis and sometimes you really can't figure out why, but it sounds like you already exhausted that remedy.
However, I'm not sure if you should completely discount it.
You might want to try injectible Tylan, which is a pain in and of itself and it's no fun for the dog, either, but it did seem to help our foster dog, Holly, who was here for 6mos. on a hospice foster. It's given sub-cutaneously.

When she was too sick to hold down food a few times, we'd give her a shot of it and she'd generally be right back right as rain within hours.

She still had occasional colitis but the Tylan also helped with her eyes (weepy eyes) so we just kept her on it until she passed.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i keep thinking the first antibiotic upset the balance of normal flora "normal bacteria". if this current antibiotic treatment doesn't work you could ask about this. hope your pup gets well soon.
huntergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 02:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Thanks everyone. This morning she had a snmall amount of brown bloody stool, but there is at least stool versus just blood. She is eating the venison and potato LID kibble and getting her multitude of pills in venison canned food. Once I can get the bleeding stopped, I am going to try to withdraw one antibiotic at at time and then, if that works, will try to switch her to Tylan powder. Two weeks ago I tried Tylan and gave her three doses, but she just continued bleeding and I went back to the metronidazole. Now with the Prednisone, the bleeding appears to be stopping and her appetite is a little bit more robust. Not a bad sign in a senior . If I can get the bleeding stopped and the multitude of antibitocis withdrawn, I will also start giving her some probiotics. One thing at a time . . .

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

i would only "play" with the antibiotics with input from the vet.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

Did you try the Panacur and Flagyl at the same time? At the shelter, when we were faced with dogs with colitis, we always did a 5 day Panacur/7 day Flagyl procedure. Started them at the same time, etc. Mayhaps something to talk about with your vet. Also, I agree with hunter, get input from your vet before "playing" around with the antibiotics.
Moreta-3yr old GSD.
Bluecatdemoness is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:01 PM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Was her prior food back in june/july one of the brands suspected of salmonella? Can you run a check on the FDA website? If not try other food advisory sites (I have one I can't think of right now.)...also of recent some bully sticks, frozen yogurt treats have been recall...wellness too, check their site even if not on wellness, they might list symptoms of toxicity to mold.

Low Albumin may be do to loss of nutrients do to rapid transit - so a symptom, same with the PLE...however, if it is liver disease, these could also be marker of disease.

Search amino acids for treatment, as well slippery elm. If SIBO (which is small intestine), or other parasite, or bacteria, slippery elm will form a mucosal barrier giving the tissues a chance to heal, and preventing the microbes from adhearing to the lining.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

Pred is great short term. It sounds inflammatory in nature. Which means the tylan should help, maybe try 3-4 days before giving up...?

Quote:
Two weeks ago I tried Tylan and gave her three doses, but she just continued bleeding and I went back to the metronidazole.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

On Saturday morning this past weekend, she had a normal brown formed stool for the first time in twenty-four days. I was never so happy to be walking in the yard in a robe with a flashlight looking at what my dog left behind her . Heavens only knows waht the neighbors think.

For those that have responded, I have not changed or started any antibiotics without placing a call to my vet first. We have been in contact almost daily and, so far, we seem to be on the road to recovery.

This weekend since I was home mid-morning, I also started giving her some probiotics to help her gut heal. One antibiotic of the three has been withdrawn and the other two have been reduced by half. The Prednisone is now also being reduced by half too. She is eating, playful, active and basically seems otherwise well. Her kibble has been changed to the limited ingredient venison and potato and I am still giving her boiled brown rice. The combination seems to be working well so far.

Her kibble was never part of a recall so I am not sure if it is just coincidental or not. My other seniors are still eating the same food and none of them are having any difficulties.

In the meantime, I am going to conintue as we are for now and will ask my vet about switching her to Tylan while she is asymptomatic to see if that will help prevent relapses. I will also pick up another jar of the powder and some more empty gelatin capsules to fill.

Thanks to those that gave input and to the others that gave support. Having a dog with bloody diarrhea and intermittent vomiting for nearly one month is pretty exhausting and, when it is an eleven year old dog, it is even more worrisome.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
Knighted Member

glad your pal is doing better. hopefully full recovery is right around the corner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.