Healthy large dog breeds? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Question Healthy large dog breeds?

I am trying to research different breeds although I probably won't be getting a dog for a while... I am probably not going to be getting another GSD for my next dog, but I am looking to see if there are any similar breeds that have less health problems, and have good longevity? Does anyone know of any large breeds that would fit this criteria? I have been finding a lot of the large dog breeds, the info says their lifespan is 8-10 years which seems just too short...but I love the large breeds.
Possibly something a little more outgoing than a GSD since I like to take my dogs everywhere with me (although Bianca worked out quite well for this since she didn't have so much of the 'aloof with strangers' trait of GSDs.)
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm in the same boat, I want a Saint Bernard so bad but not sure I can handle that lifespan.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:38 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Collies. Love them. You need to test for collie eye but mine lived to be almost 15 years old and we let him go because of hip pain. I know of others that have lived 15-17 years. I don't think this is a breed that is overbred.

Stay away from Boxers. Many health problems and 10 yrs if old. My vet referred to mine as "ancient" at 13 and is amazed with her.

What about a medium sized dog like an Aussie or Border Collie? They would probably have a longer life span.

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Standard Poodle
Malamute
Giant Schnauzer
Gretchen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I moved this to the health section in the hopes you might get some more science based or research based answers.

I am so sorry about Bianca.

I would take a look at some of the lists of congenital disorders that dogs get, by breed. Obviously you/everyone knows about cancer in Goldens. There are some breeds that might not have that kind of genetic burden.

CIDD - Dog Breeds List 2004 so could find more updated info perhaps - but compare the list of a Schipperke to the GSD just to get an idea of the wide differences (and of course, some things like HD aren't generally life threatening so compare apples to apples).

I think vets and vet hospitals might have some good thoughts on what they see.

I would look at less popular breeds, but also breeds that are not so inbred or bottle necked that things pop up w/great frequency (vWillebrands type things). Then the lines - there are some people on this board who could probably name what dog passed from in pedigrees (when known). I am betting you could find that in other breeds.

Mixes are awesome - but who knows. I deal with the "who knows" for the interesting temperament and behavior and hope the health holds out. So far I am at 50-50 on that (both dogs though very healthy with no issues until the end, the end for one was a few years earlier than expected).

I don't know lifespan of a Malamute - they can be same sex dog aggressive, but should be very people friendly...
Illinois Alaskan Malamute Rescue Association - Home

Some hounds are larger, friendly, happy dogs? Greater Swiss Mountain Dog? Leonberger?

Temperament is also part of health.

Good luck in your search to find a friendly, healthy dog!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Giant Schnauzer
My trainer has one and she is getting ready to breed her if you want the info. Great dogs!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I've never met a really social, outgoing, Giant Schnauzer. They've always been standoffish (or maybe it's their people!).
Old 11-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

An idea for you while you are researching dog breeds. I know that a lot of breeds are prone to cancer ... but what if ... (I don't know if you already do this, so pardon my ignorance if you do)

You only fed raw or home made, and limited vaccines to the absolute bare minimum ... it other words followed a holistic path for your dog, rather than the conventional method?

My all time favourite book is Where Natural Healing begins (www.drmarty.com) He talks a lot about how food / vaccines are killing our animals, and the future of our pets.

Using a natural diet, and 99% less vaccines, you will likely get a dog to live longer than the "average."

Just my two cents
Old 11-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Leonbergers, alaskan malamutes, siberian huskies, collies, border collies, labs, golden retrievers, australian shepherds, australian cattle dogs, uhmmm... Greyhounds
Old 11-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

How about a shepherd mix? Some are really attractive and mixes tend to healthier. Someone on this forum, I can't remember who, has posted pics of their GSD/Golden mix and that dog is gorgeous.
CeCe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.