Healthy large dog breeds? - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #61 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
I know a couple people on another forum who have Beaucerons but they have some temperament issues... I've heard that some lines can have some aggression/nerve issues although I don't think it's the breed as a whole. I also was told they can be a "hard" dog and very suspicious with strangers but the dogs people mentioned in responses here sound a lot friendlier?
The few I've met personally were not like waggy-lovey but they were perfectly fine with people crowding around and stuff.
I think that is why she went to Canada to get hers. I've seen her a couple times since but don't know her name. If I run into her I'll get the breeder's name.

They sound like they are supposed to be like GSD's in temperament
American Beauceron Club - Before You Buy A Beauceron

My first choice for you is still a Collie. I think you would find all the traits you are looking for in one.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #62 (permalink)
Knighted Member

a friend of mine has a 2 year old bull mastiff. good size, very nice. met one other at the dog park, only once. this bull and my jrt really bonded that day. they chased each other, then the bull be on his back as if my jrt had control and pinned him and in another minute my jrt would pinned and almost completely covered by dogs giant mouth. i was startled for a moment when the woman standing next to me put her arm on mine and assured me her dog would not hurt my jrt. after the bull mastiff tired and came and laid down by owners feet i was shocked to see my energizer rabbit jrt lay on the bulls front legs and just lay there until rest time was over, then the play started again. of course my jrt looked like a slimed tennis ball, but what a great dog that bull mastiff was.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:23 AM   #63 (permalink)
Crowned Member

here's a link for you
Longevity of Dog Breeds - Do all breeds have the same lifespan?

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

zyppi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 09:01 AM   #64 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My Aunt and Uncle had an English Setter, now my Uncle was an avid hunter and that is what the dog was purchased for, but he was a heck of a good hunting dog and when they would come back from hunt trips, Thunder was quite content to be your average house dog. He had an excellent mix of working ability and contentment in the house. I remember him seeming finer boned in comparison to say a GSD, lighter looking I guess, yet he was tall - but I was a young girl, so dogs seemed taller back then. There was some care to his coat, but he lived a very long and healthy life. He wasn't the kind of dog you saw everywhere, his coat and pattern were quite distinct. According to the list from Zyppi, they are a long-lived breed.

I agree with Jax, a collie, is an amazing dog. My Scotch was wonderful, she never really played, but I had her St John's Ambulance Therapy Certificate and she went into nursing homes, she ran around quite a bit in her younger days, she kept up with Ozzy who was very crazy as a young dog, she slowed down around 11. Coat, yes it was work and those collie ears! I never figured out how to groom them to look nice all the time. She seldom barked, she was a wonderful dog, content to sit in your lap, happy to be out and about and around people, loved children.
ozzymama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:22 PM   #65 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyppi View Post
Hmm, I don't know how accurate this is. It says Dobermans are a long-lived breed, but I'm pretty sure I read their average lifespan is something like 9-10 years...
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 PM   #66 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Not a similar breed but German Shorthaired Pointers are supposed to be very healthy dogs.
They are very athletic and versatile dogs as well.

Only thing is, the one's I've known have been ridiculously hyper, and I'm not convinced they were all that bright (although I think they're supposed to be lol)
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:32 PM   #67 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have to say that I would NEVER in my life own a GSP. They drive me bonkers!!! Too hyper, and not so smart (though the standard does say intelligent). They're pretty though.
Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #68 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GsdLoverr729 View Post
I have to say that I would NEVER in my life own a GSP. They drive me bonkers!!! Too hyper, and not so smart (though the standard does say intelligent). They're pretty though.
After seeing my friends and the one in my training class neither would I.

They were both young dogs though, so I'm not sure that helped, and I also think it helps to give them a job to do.

Actually the one in my OB class was hilarious. I felt bad for the guy though, she was bouncing around, off him, in circles, even the trainer couldn't catch her and she was wearing a leash. And it's not like she was running away, she was just BOUNCING all over the place and people are running everywhere trying to grab a hold of her. Oh my stars!

But they are healthy, and very athletic, so I figured I'd mention it!
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 01:42 PM   #69 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hungarian Visla?

A Doberman is not a social creature, IMO. They are bred to protect their owners and are the ultimate velcro dogs. And they have some serious health issues within the breed.

It's MICHELLE, scarfish! My name is MICHELLE! Jax is my DOG!

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #70 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I say go with what you know.....GSD (or a GSD mix)! I know when my last one passed I didn't want another GSD and started looking at other breeds but in the end I came back to German Shepherds.
I guess it's in my blood, once a GSD owner, always a GSD owner!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.