German Shepherds Forum banner

Healthy large dog breeds?

14K views 99 replies 34 participants last post by  ShatteringGlass 
#1 ·
I am trying to research different breeds although I probably won't be getting a dog for a while... I am probably not going to be getting another GSD for my next dog, but I am looking to see if there are any similar breeds that have less health problems, and have good longevity? Does anyone know of any large breeds that would fit this criteria? I have been finding a lot of the large dog breeds, the info says their lifespan is 8-10 years which seems just too short...but I love the large breeds.
Possibly something a little more outgoing than a GSD since I like to take my dogs everywhere with me (although Bianca worked out quite well for this since she didn't have so much of the 'aloof with strangers' trait of GSDs.)

#81 ·
Sorry, I forgot the OP wanted something more social

My friend has an Olde English Buldogge and I swear she draws a crowd everywhere she goes. She is the most adorable dog I've ever seen, it's ridiculous. Her scrunchy face is irresistible!

She has a little stuffed piggy toy that she sucks on and makes the most hilarious noises. She's also wicked at agility apparently. I would puppynap her in a heartbeat.

#83 ·
Oh! I almost forgot Pharaoh hounds and Ibizan hounds. They have no breed specific or major health issues and can live 10-16 years. Good energy to work with but not overly sooo. Nice temperament. And in the size range you gave

#84 ·
Those are neat dogs but I do have cats and I wasn't sure if sighthounds and cats would mix well...
Also not sure on their trainability? I have really not had much exposure to sighthounds at all. I've met a few but that's it, oh and there was a Pharaoh Hound in the therapy dog program at the hospital I used to volunteer with my Golden...

#87 ·
Boerboel? (I love mastiff breeds :) )

They are supposed to be very healthy and good family dogs. I think they need a strong pack leader and socialization, like a GSD though. I'm not sure how they are generally with others out in public, maybe someone can chime in?

but I read they are generally good with other pets, cats, birds etc.

#88 ·
They don't make it in the size category but might be good in other areas:
Home <---breed website for the PWD

But I would go with the happy black shelter mutt too! Also agree on the Doberman as a no, even with the houndy ears. :) I think a regular Lab, from a super duper smart breeder who looks at health intelligently could be good. Flat Coats are a big cancer breed from what I understand.

I always look at what the breed was bred to do - is this a dog that was meant to work with people, and in what capacity.

No way I would want a Mastiff or any type of large protection breed that doesn't necessarily look to their person for guidance. I like Chows, but there is a reason all that nasty is in a small body.

Boerboel

dogbreedinfo.com

The Boerboel is a large, mastiff dog breed from South Africa, bred for the purpose of guarding the homestead. These dogs were often a first line of defense against predators and were valuable in tracking and holding down wounded game.

Another probably too small:
Bearded Collie

en.wikipedia.org

The Bearded Collie, or Beardie, is a herding breed of dog once used primarily by Scottish shepherds, but now mostly a popular family companion. Bearded Collies have an average weight of 40–60 pounds. Wikipedia
Hypoallergenic: No
Life span: 14 to 15 years
Temperament: Active, Intelligent, Alert, Lively, Hardy, Self-Confident
Colors: Fawn, Black, Blue, Brown, Tri-color, Black & Brown
Height: Female: 20–21 inches (51–53 cm), Male: 21–22 inches (53–56 cm)
Weight: Female: 39.7–59.5 lbs (18–27 kg), Male: 39.7–59.5 lbs (18–27 kg)

LandseerDog

en.wikipedia.org

The Landseer is a dog breed. Many kennel clubs consider the Landseer to be simply a black-and-white variant of the Newfoundland, but the Fédération Cynologique Internationale recognizes it as a separate breed. Wikipedia
Color: Black & White
Higher classification: Dog
Temperament: Playful, Intelligent, Courageous, Generous, Patient, Loving
Height: Male: 28–31 inches (72–80 cm), Female: 26–28 inches (67–72 cm)
Weight: Male: 130.1–149.9 lbs (59–68 kg), Female: 99.2–119 lbs (45–54 kg)
Origin: Germany, Newfoundland, Switzerland, Canada

#89 ·
Oh... lol

this is what I read about them:

The Boerboel is reliable, obedient and intelligent, with strong watch and guard-dog instincts. It is self-assured and fearless. The Boerboel is very playful and affectionate toward its owner. Its favorite pastime would be to play a game of fetch loving every minute it spends with its master. Its jaws are strong and they will most often pop the ball it it playing with. Not to fret, it will just play with the popped ball! They are very gentle and good with children they know; allowing them to ride on their backs like a horse, loving every minute of the attention they are getting. Boerboels will do okay with other dogs, cats and other non-canine pets, letting birds come down and snatch from their food bowl! They will guard their family, friends and property with their life. When their owners are not home they will not allow anyone to enter the home, unless they know them very well. When welcomed visitors arrive they will accept them after being properly introduced. This breed requires a dominant owner. The authority the owner projects over the dog should be so strong that the dog will not bolt out the front door when it is opened. The objective in training this dog is to achieve a pack leader status. It is a natural instinct for a dog to have an order in its pack. When we humans live with dogs, we become their pack. The entire pack cooperates under a single leader; lines are clearly defined and rules are set. Because a dog communicates his displeasure with growling and eventually biting, all other humans MUST be higher up in the order than the dog. The humans must be the ones making the decisions, not the dogs. That is the only way your relationship with your dog can be a complete success. If one does not understand this concept 100% and have confidence that they can handle such a large guard type breed then this is not the dog for them. With the right owners the Boerboel can make a wonderful pet.

#91 ·
Are hounds out of the question, OP?

I love them, but I don't know if I'd get one as they tend to be a bit stubborn, I think.

But there are some nice hounds out there, plott or fox hounds etc. What about Rotties? The one's I've met have been incredibly sweet, I think they just have to be socialized well.

A standard poodle? Personally I don't like them, but I know they are really smart and a lot of people love them. Scratch that, doesn't look like they are really healthy.

I'd say Lab, I love Labs, but they aren't super healthy.

#95 ·
A standard poodle? Personally I don't like them, but I know they are really smart and a lot of people love them. Scratch that, doesn't look like they are really healthy.

I'd say Lab, I love Labs, but they aren't super healthy.
Standards have awesome personalities if you like a cross between a lab and a clown. Mine is actually even more rough and tumble for his weight than any lab I've come across. Lots of people don't like the floofy appearance, but that is why I keep mine in a retriever clip. He looks like a Curly Coated Retriever, with a bit more hair on his head.

It's such a shame about the state of the breed in regards to health. I decided to take the gamble, hopefully I lucked out with mine.

#92 ·
A Boerboel is about the last breed I'd recommend to the OP. These dogs are NOT bred to be happy-go-lucky, go everywhere, off-leash kind of dogs, they are serious guardians, they tend to be aggressive toward anyone outside their circle, and are extremely powerful. I think there is a member here who had to return a Boerboel puppy due to extreme aggression issues.

#94 ·
That puppy turned out to have an injury - there was an x-ray posted, can't remember if it was a break, dislocation, or what, but it was pretty severe. If I remember right, the vet estimated that the injury had happened right around the time the pup arrived, possibly during transit. The real problem seemed to be that the pup was so stoic at first that the member didn't realize there was a problem and neither did the vet at the first checkup. Then the aggression started and progressively got worse and worse and was finally explained when the pup started showing signs of being not sound and the injury was discovered.

This is not to say that I think a Boerboel would be a good pick, I agree that this is not a 'take anywhere and have fun' kind of dog and only for an owner experienced in breeds that need consistent leadership. I just don't want people to get the wrong impression about a breed based on an injured dog.

#98 ·
I think English Mastiffs live to be 10-12 years (Bullmastiffs aren't as long). They are a BIG dog though, so definitely not right for every home.

I'm just suggesting them, because my friend has one and her daughter does too. They are freaking adorable!!!! I love them, they are really friendly. And quite certain they are lap dogs :D

Anyway, this is hard! So many great dogs out there, but finding healthy large breeds isn't easy. :(

#99 ·
Black Russian Terriers are NOT a breed that matches OP's needs, IMO. They are very guardy, bred for police and military work I believe. They are a cross of Rott, Standard Schnauzer and Bouvier, if I am not mistaken. All very hard dogs needing strong leadership. Plus their grooming requirements are very high.

I could recommend Standard Poodles, as they are generally happy-go-lucky, friendly, social type dogs, but they are notorious for blowing off the recall and running, running, running. I have seen more Standards running blindly down the road... in fact, it has happened at my shop twice. Both times, it was a case of the dogs being unleashed and running away from their owners... fortunately, both times the dogs were found unhurt, but one was found the next day about 4 miles away.

And their grooming requirements are also quite high.

#100 ·
Saw that Dalmatians were suggested. Probably not the size you're looking for, they're more a medium sized breed. My male is 24" 63lbs. As far as temperament, I can take my Dals anywhere and they behave appropriatly for the situation, friendly and cuddly with neutral/friendly strangers, and protective and aggressive towards threatening strangers.

This is my male taking the ATTS temperament test, and passing

They are relatively healthy, have issues like crystals in urine (can be managed by appropriate diet), some have allergies/skin problems (again, usually fixed with diet), deafness (puppies are hearing tested at 5 weeks). Many Dals live well into their teens (my female turned 14 in August, her parents both lived to 15 and her sister is still alive as well) and are still active.

Very trainable and smart, exceed in dog sports like obedience and agility.

My two live with a cat with no issues. One was introduced to cats at age 6, and within 2 months she was 100% trustworthy with the cat, the other was raised as a pup with the cat and is actually quite in love with the cat!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.