Healthy large dog breeds? - Page 10 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 09:30 AM   #91 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Are hounds out of the question, OP?

I love them, but I don't know if I'd get one as they tend to be a bit stubborn, I think.

But there are some nice hounds out there, plott or fox hounds etc. What about Rotties? The one's I've met have been incredibly sweet, I think they just have to be socialized well.

A standard poodle? Personally I don't like them, but I know they are really smart and a lot of people love them. Scratch that, doesn't look like they are really healthy.

I'd say Lab, I love Labs, but they aren't super healthy.
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 12:16 PM   #92 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A Boerboel is about the last breed I'd recommend to the OP. These dogs are NOT bred to be happy-go-lucky, go everywhere, off-leash kind of dogs, they are serious guardians, they tend to be aggressive toward anyone outside their circle, and are extremely powerful. I think there is a member here who had to return a Boerboel puppy due to extreme aggression issues.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #93 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Maybe I'm confused with an English Mastiff? lol
Old 11-16-2012, 12:46 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
A Boerboel is about the last breed I'd recommend to the OP. These dogs are NOT bred to be happy-go-lucky, go everywhere, off-leash kind of dogs, they are serious guardians, they tend to be aggressive toward anyone outside their circle, and are extremely powerful. I think there is a member here who had to return a Boerboel puppy due to extreme aggression issues.
That puppy turned out to have an injury - there was an x-ray posted, can't remember if it was a break, dislocation, or what, but it was pretty severe. If I remember right, the vet estimated that the injury had happened right around the time the pup arrived, possibly during transit. The real problem seemed to be that the pup was so stoic at first that the member didn't realize there was a problem and neither did the vet at the first checkup. Then the aggression started and progressively got worse and worse and was finally explained when the pup started showing signs of being not sound and the injury was discovered.

This is not to say that I think a Boerboel would be a good pick, I agree that this is not a 'take anywhere and have fun' kind of dog and only for an owner experienced in breeds that need consistent leadership. I just don't want people to get the wrong impression about a breed based on an injured dog.
stealthq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 01:01 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
A standard poodle? Personally I don't like them, but I know they are really smart and a lot of people love them. Scratch that, doesn't look like they are really healthy.

I'd say Lab, I love Labs, but they aren't super healthy.
Standards have awesome personalities if you like a cross between a lab and a clown. Mine is actually even more rough and tumble for his weight than any lab I've come across. Lots of people don't like the floofy appearance, but that is why I keep mine in a retriever clip. He looks like a Curly Coated Retriever, with a bit more hair on his head.

It's such a shame about the state of the breed in regards to health. I decided to take the gamble, hopefully I lucked out with mine.
stealthq is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:50 PM   #96 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I love Mastiffs but I just couldn't handle preparing for old age at 5 or 6...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshep View Post
Are hounds out of the question, OP?

I love them, but I don't know if I'd get one as they tend to be a bit stubborn, I think.
Well, I'm not totally against hounds but none of them really appeal to me, except for a few of the sighthound type breeds but I am not sure if those would be a good fit.

A Rottie could be a possibility but not sure on the health/longevity of them. I also am not a big fan of the really short coat but I could live with it. Would be awesome if I could find a long-coated Rottie from a good breeder, I know they pop up once in a while in litters but it would be a very long shot to actually find the 'right' pup at the right time and also have it be a 'fluffy'.
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #97 (permalink)
Knighted Member

another interesting breed i came across at a dog show was a "black russian terrier", other than being nice and behaved, they let me sit and pet him, i know nothing about them.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 11:40 AM   #98 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think English Mastiffs live to be 10-12 years (Bullmastiffs aren't as long). They are a BIG dog though, so definitely not right for every home.

I'm just suggesting them, because my friend has one and her daughter does too. They are freaking adorable!!!! I love them, they are really friendly. And quite certain they are lap dogs

Anyway, this is hard! So many great dogs out there, but finding healthy large breeds isn't easy.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #99 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Black Russian Terriers are NOT a breed that matches OP's needs, IMO. They are very guardy, bred for police and military work I believe. They are a cross of Rott, Standard Schnauzer and Bouvier, if I am not mistaken. All very hard dogs needing strong leadership. Plus their grooming requirements are very high.

I could recommend Standard Poodles, as they are generally happy-go-lucky, friendly, social type dogs, but they are notorious for blowing off the recall and running, running, running. I have seen more Standards running blindly down the road... in fact, it has happened at my shop twice. Both times, it was a case of the dogs being unleashed and running away from their owners... fortunately, both times the dogs were found unhurt, but one was found the next day about 4 miles away.

And their grooming requirements are also quite high.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #100 (permalink)
Elite Member

Saw that Dalmatians were suggested. Probably not the size you're looking for, they're more a medium sized breed. My male is 24" 63lbs. As far as temperament, I can take my Dals anywhere and they behave appropriatly for the situation, friendly and cuddly with neutral/friendly strangers, and protective and aggressive towards threatening strangers.

This is my male taking the ATTS temperament test, and passing

They are relatively healthy, have issues like crystals in urine (can be managed by appropriate diet), some have allergies/skin problems (again, usually fixed with diet), deafness (puppies are hearing tested at 5 weeks). Many Dals live well into their teens (my female turned 14 in August, her parents both lived to 15 and her sister is still alive as well) and are still active.

Very trainable and smart, exceed in dog sports like obedience and agility.

My two live with a cat with no issues. One was introduced to cats at age 6, and within 2 months she was 100% trustworthy with the cat, the other was raised as a pup with the cat and is actually quite in love with the cat!
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
ShatteringGlass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.