German Shepherds Forum banner

Isolated itchy spot

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Sasha86 
#1 ·
Hey guys...hoping someone might be able to help. We've had Callie at the vet 4 times now and actually saw different vet for a second opinion. She has an isolated itchy spot behind her left shoulder. It gets bumps and scabs. She digs and some of the hair has fallen out and the hair that is in that spot is dry feeling. We tried an antibiotic...a steroid, topical spray, we have gone grain free and she eats Taste of the Wild lamb. The second vet we went to did a culture and let it grow for 10 days and she said it was negative for fungal and ring worm. We are on amoxicillan and an antihystamine now. It seems a little better after I bathed her in a special shampoo but she's still itching. It seems we have the vets stumped. Anyone have any experience?

#2 ·
Sounds like contact dermatitis. We have been dealing with this also, Suki has been getting welts and then hard scab like bumps in localized areas around the back legs and rump area and most recently around her face and ears. We have it pretty much narrowed down to flea allergy. She is not infested, and she gets monthly treatment but just one bite from a single flea and she breaks out in hives. The subsequent itching that she does is what causes the severe scabbing. We usually just use a topical anti-itch spray at the first sign of a bump and then treat the scabby areas with antibiotic/pain relief ointment. We haven't quite figured out how to avoid the problem all together yet, but we're trying different things.

Does your dog get treated for bugs monthly? Also - could your pup have come into contact with a chemical, or have you tried or used a different cleaning product recently? GSDs are very sensitive in the skin department, something as simple as that could be causing the irritation.

#4 ·
Are you using a spot on treatment for prevention re: fleas/ticks/heartworm?

#6 ·
Have they done a skin scrape for mange?

#8 ·
They did scrape for mange. Negative. Medicated shampoos, topical spray from the vet. We thought about fish oil but it's isolated so it's not all over.

#9 ·
Vet also combed her really well to see if he could spot any fleas...no fleas. My other dog has a fine white coat and we could spot fleas easily on him and haven't seen any.

#10 ·
What about topical spot on treatment from the vet or pet store - have you used these for flea prevention?

#11 ·
I have tried hydrocortisone spray and the hot spot spray from the vet...haven't used them for flea prevention though. Do you think it's fleas even if we've never seen any?

#12 · (Edited)
I was wondering if you have used a vet prescribed or pets store spot on treatment because she may be having a reaction to this if it was in fact used, because that is where it gets applied

What other stuff does your vet give your dog before this happened?

#13 ·
Suki's problem presented without the presence of a single flea. We looked and looked for months before we ever saw one. All it takes is one flea. One flea can inflict many bites.

Hopefully your pup's itchy spot will clear up soon and perhaps it is just an isolated incident. Unfortunately, I think we'll be dealing with Suki's problem for the rest of her life.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.