What could be wrong with her!? (non GSD) - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstout View Post
I dont know much, if anything about dog diseases. But, I will share a scary story about my pup with you. At about 4 months old he started acting weak one morning, i thought nothing of it, figured I overexercised him or something. Next day he could barely walk. He acted like his back legs were paralyzed, he peed on himself. When he came to me at 8 weeks, I dont think he ever peed in his crate once. So, him peeing on himself made me sure something was wrong. He wouldnt eat, wouldnt walk, he was breathing very shallow, his eyes and nose were runny. I was very scared. We brought him in and he had a temp of 104. The vet honestly thought he had distemper. We did all the tests we could afford, but couldnt get a diagnosis. The blloodwork only showed that he was sick (anemic). We were at a loss of what to do, the vet said we should try antibiotics and pain meds just to see how he reacts. So, we did IV antibiotics at the vet, brought him home, gave him his antibiotics and pain meds and within 3 days he was completely back to normal. Today he is 9 months old and healthy as a horse. I still have no clue what was going on with him, but it all turned out okay. I hope everything works out for you too. Having your dog sick and not able to fix it breaks your heart, I know.
Thank you for sharing! I really needed to hear something with a positive outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by More Ball! says Jake View Post
Sorry -I'm so used to talking to everyone on the IMHA list that I forget not everyone knows what it means. It's immune mediated hemolytic anemia. Our Sheba developed it when she was 11. When you get the results of the blood tests tomorrow I would be curious to know what her PCV or HCT results are. If it is anemia your vet should be able to tell based on these numbers. Since it sounds like her urine is normal and if she is eating and drinking normally, it might just be an infection. Will keep my fingers crossed that she starts to feel better now that she's on meds.
Thank you for explaining that. I will mention that to the vet if the blood tests are not normal. Fingers crossed!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
The vet explained to me that bait poison is an anti coagulant and that if she had ingested it, she would have bled under her skin and gums with as much as we handled her.
We've had a few cases of rat poison ingestion here, and bruising is late sign - like, dying/late.
A blood test can easily tell if it's that, but also I'd think that when the vet drew blood it would not clot when they withdrew the needle...if it did (and isn't oozing now) it's probably not that.

It certainly could be IMHA...hoping and praying it isn't.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #23 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
We've had a few cases of rat poison ingestion here, and bruising is late sign - like, dying/late.
A blood test can easily tell if it's that, but also I'd think that when the vet drew blood it would not clot when they withdrew the needle...if it did (and isn't oozing now) it's probably not that.

It certainly could be IMHA...hoping and praying it isn't.
Thats a good point. She didnt have a problem clotting at all after the blood draw, so I guess that is out.

Vet has not called yet, gonna give her a few more minutes, and I'm going to call her. Good news is that Chloe is acting much better. She pigged out on breakfast and she's holding it down. Right now she is sitting on the back of the couch, sunning herself in the light from the window.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:12 AM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Will be keeping your little one in my prayers.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 01:46 PM   #25 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimeforgsd View Post
Will be keeping your little one in my prayers.
Thank you

Blood work results- White blood cell count was a little high. Everything else was normal.......So the vet still thinks she has an infection and wants her to continue the antibiotics.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #26 (permalink)
Elite Member

Hope thats all it is and glad shes feeling better. It is scary when they are miserable but its horrifying when you can't figure out what is wrong.
Nikitta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

glad your pup will be ok, still keep your eye on her though.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 09:33 AM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

Just wanted to update that Miss Chloe is doing much better. Still never really got a 100% sure diagnosis, but she is back to her old self again.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That's good news! I'm glad to see Chloe is back to her old self.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.