New tooth pictures and toy recommendations - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default New tooth pictures and toy recommendations

Original thread: Some health questions re: ears, teeth, and whining after exercise

These are also taken with my cell phone (again, I failed to be a girl scout and have my camera accessible for pictures) but I'm hoping they might help a bit more than the initial pictures.

IMO the lower left canine is worn more than the lower right, but I have pictures from both sides.

Untitled by jsnail17, on Flickr

I kinda squished his mouth here a bit...oops

So, I've sadly taken away his deer antler and nylabone and I won't buy him any more marrow bones. I purchased a Kong Ballistic toy (which Kaiser actually loves) and a water bottle/squeaker toy (not quite sure if this will last any length of time, but at least it'll be something new for him to play with). I'm also trying to reintroduce his regular kong (stuffed with treats) however he really doesn't seem to like it at all. In fact, he doesn't seem to like anything rubber. He does like balls though (the cheapo water toys for kids and a squeaky kong (I think thats the brand?) semi soft plastic ball). He also has stuffies (these will last as long as he doesn't find a hole...other wise he will destuff them). I use a tug-a-jug for his breakfast but he has that figured out. He's done puzzles before but he also figures them out. What other toy ideas do you have for a 9.5 month old puppy who is already wearing down his teeth? I'm super worried now about what he gets.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

there is peanut butter flavored cream you can put in the kong. my dog loves it and will quite a while with that.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntergreen View Post
there is peanut butter flavored cream you can put in the kong. my dog loves it and will quite a while with that.

Unfortunately Kaiser has a VERY sensitive tummy. I've found that PB, most treats, and even cheese (in small amounts) or too much cottage cheese will throw off his digestive tract. Right now I can give him a couple pieces of lamb lung or about 1/4 of a bully stick (at the most) before he gets yucky #2s. Usually I just use his kibble unless we are doing training where I absolutely need his attention (or at least as much as he will give me...which seems, at least lately, isn't much)

Old 11-09-2012, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J

I wish I had seen the original thread earlier. My dog has a dental disease and he can't have bones etc.
No tennis balls. They wear down enamel.

There are a few things he can have:
Bully sticks
Rolled cow cheeks. Yes. Cow cheeks. I get them from bestbullysticks.com. They look like rawhide, but they are fully digestible and don't pose a health risk.
Chicken feet, chicken necks, turkey necks (more of a treat and good for the hips. I freeze them so they act as a toothbrush).

As far as toys, the only stuffed toys Rudy hasn't destroyed are the replacement packs for the Hide A Squirrel and Hide a Bee. You can just buy the squirrels and bees. For some reason, Rudy doesn't tear them apart. In fact, more have died from my lawnmower than Rudy.

This has also survived. He loves it b/c he loves anything that squeeks:
Squeezz Ball - Kong

LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
M&J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
I wish I had seen the original thread earlier. My dog has a dental disease and he can't have bones etc.
No tennis balls. They wear down enamel.

There are a few things he can have:
Bully sticks
Rolled cow cheeks. Yes. Cow cheeks. I get them from bestbullysticks.com. They look like rawhide, but they are fully digestible and don't pose a health risk.
Chicken feet, chicken necks, turkey necks (more of a treat and good for the hips. I freeze them so they act as a toothbrush).

As far as toys, the only stuffed toys Rudy hasn't destroyed are the replacement packs for the Hide A Squirrel and Hide a Bee. You can just buy the squirrels and bees. For some reason, Rudy doesn't tear them apart. In fact, more have died from my lawnmower than Rudy.

This has also survived. He loves it b/c he loves anything that squeeks:
Squeezz Ball - Kong

YES that is the ball Kaiser has. He loves it.

So, even though the raw "treats" help clean teeth, there isn't any concern of them wearing down Kaiser's canines any more? (or at least not so rapidly)

He loves bully sticks too, but they get expensive so they are a once-in-a-while treat. Plus I can't leave them with him when I leave for work

I used to have a hide-a-squirrel for Dakota. Its long since gone, but maybe I'll get another one for Kaiser. He does love squeakies, and I'm sure he'll love trying to get the toys out of the tree. I don't think it will challenge him, but I think he'll still play with it.

Wow, I thought I'd heard of it all...but rolled cow cheeks? lol. I love all things natural so I'll give them a try! Dakota may like them also

Thanks!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 AM   #6 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

The chicken feet/necks won't wear down his teeth b/c they don't chew them that much. The short time they do chew, the cartilege is surrounded by meat. They are more treats, but I like that they are good for the hips.

I don't leave my dog unattended with anything they chew. I'm too paranoid.

LILLY and RUDY
Old 11-10-2012, 05:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I'm pretty paranoid also, but Kaiser is a thinker, not a sleeper, lol. I mean yes, he does sleep during the day when I'm gone, but if he doesn't have something to focus on he will find (or try to find) a way to escape his cage or x-pen. I've seen him even chew on them when he didn't realize I was still around (this was when he was much younger though). He's not to the point where I can trust him to be free since just a month ago he destroyed and partially ate the dust ruffle to the bed. And might I add that this was AFTER he escaped from his x-pen. In the rented apartment my company is paying for while I'm at this school. Soooo needless to say he needs at least something while I'm away. I'm paranoid also, but I'm stuck between two rocks trying to figure out which is the worse of two evils

Old 11-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

Years ago, Jake ate the back off a couch, while he was still in his crate. I have no idea how. He must have torn it out piece by piece.

LILLY and RUDY
Old 11-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

thats actually pretty impressive! wow!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.