My friend is fading away... - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 01:34 PM   #21 (permalink)

WolfStraum, he has her scheduled to have a CBC Thursday, however I don't know if a Total Blood count is considered a CBC or included.

I have little faith in most Doctors as it is, I've heard of to many getting taken for a free ride, so I'm always a little freaked out when taking myself or my animals to the Doctors. Phd or not.

To whom ever it was that posted in reference to the kibble earlier. I've thought about switching her to a Raw/barf diet for some time now. I've found a Co-op in my area that have prices that look fairly good. However, when it comes to numbers, I've never been good ( must be why I'm a history buff), and didn't want to take the chance of screwing her up nutritionally. My main reason for thinking about the Raw/Barf is due to her coat, it's just always looked a little dry and dull to me. The Vet I just seen told me to feed her a cup of Oats/Oatmeal with some water to help with the dry skin/Coat issue. I've kept her off Kibble with Grains because I figured if it looks this bad, I can't imagine what feeding her the grained stuff would do.
SouthernNdN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 01:38 PM   #22 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernNdN View Post
I must admit, reading the signs of diabetes, I thought for sure and still do think she may have it. Frequent urination, frequent drinking of water, dehydration, unexplained weight loss and there has been an increase of appetite.
If that's the case, I would INSIST that your vet performs whatever tests would confirm this or rule it out. If he won't, make him explain why not. And then find a vet who will listen to you, and will actually talk to you.

My vet has a pretty crappy bedside manner - he can be irritable, he's sometimes short with his staff, and he's almost always overbooked so even with an appointment I usually have to wait, but he KNOWS that I know my dogs, and no matter how minor the symptoms may seem, if I'm concerned, he takes that seriously. And he ALWAYS fits me in if it's important. He takes the time to explain what he thinks it might be, what he's fairly sure it's not, and he tells me what tests he wants to do, and why, and has no problem giving me copies of test reports when I ask for them. That's the kind of vet you should be looking for, one who treats you as a partner when it comes to the health of your dog, not an adversary.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

CBC stands for Complete Blood Count. Can you get that done earlier than next Thursday?
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 02:16 PM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Why would they wait until next Thursday to do a CBC??

Sorry font is orange, don't know what I did. lol
blackshep is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 02:23 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Perhaps w/the urinalysis a glucose test was done at the time and why the Vet didn't go in that direction. Maybe suspects UTI only as the incontinence problem, but is looking at the weight loss as a seperate issue...Maybe suspects anemia therefore the B12...either way b12 is a great adjuvant to health.

With EPI, the symtoms don't always present the same with all. Although I don't know why there is a focus on fecal parasite if there is no symptom of diarrhea.

However...you paid for his service. I would contact them today and ask for a written report of the findings of the urinalysis as well as what the future diagnostics are for, and what he is suspecting based on symptoms...Ask what the PH drug is for i.e - stones? and if infection showed up in urine test or if it is a "just in case"...He owes it to you - you paid for answers.

here's a link on urine glucose (you shouldn't have to go seeking out this info, he should be telling you)
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/urine-g...ogs/page1.aspx
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.