|11-08-2012, 10:55 PM||#12 (permalink)|
Join Date: Jul 2009
To the OP, furweed is an awesome resource and knows this issue well.
SBD Posejpal's Leyna, HCTs 6/16/2010
SBD Posejpal's Hades, 5/9/12
At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
|11-09-2012, 12:58 AM||#14 (permalink)|
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Buffalo, NY
It is very scary but please don't despair! There are great resources out there for you! I fostered a puppy who had MegaE, secondary to PRAA (corrected with surgery). He did fine on a slurry diet, didn't even have to eat elevated. He was active and had no other health problems.
Good luck and keep us posted!
Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang
Rafi the malaroo
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
|11-13-2012, 01:46 PM||#17 (permalink)|
Join Date: Aug 2012
Hey folks.. my apologies for not checking back sooner. It has been a total whirlwind of activity since this was diagnosed and we both took some time off work to try and get a handle on things.
First things first... we are very touched and thankful for the support and advice offered here. It is much appreciated.
Kira is doing quite well and is adjusting to her new routine. Her meals and water are only fed to her while she is upright and thankfully she is no longer regurgitating. Holding an 11 week old puppy still after she eats is no small matter.. yikes! The vet has her on antibiotics to fight off pneumonia but from all accounts this is a pretty serious case of MegaE.
So, after weighing all our options and discussing with vets, the breeder and our family, we have made the heart-breaking decision to return her to the breeder They are just far better able to monitor and manage her condition since they are at home and have all the resources readily available.
I cannot overstate how helpful and supportive the breeder has been throughout this process. Their offer to look after her was of great relief as we were completely at a loss over what to do. We both have fulltime jobs, I run a business and our walker and daycare facility are just not able to manage this. I do not want to risk an issue developing and no one available to respond.
We are both devastated at the idea of letting her go and trying to reconcile the guilt we have but those around us support our decision and feel like we do that it is in Kira's best interest.
I will say one of the most amazing aspects of this development was watching my better half who never had a dog before and is "not really a pet person" step up to make Kira as comfortable as possible. Taking time off work to research the disease, downloading recipes, running out to stores and fashioning a makeshift Bailey chair. When I couldn't find them a couple nights back, I went into the room where we keep the puppy's crate and found her in there sleeping on the floor beside Kira.
Over the next few days we will get her ready for the flight back and I don't know if I can properly prepare myself for that day. Reading your comments here definitely helps though so thank you again.
Here are a couple recent pics... Kira grabbing a meal with her buddy Caesar looking on and her in the backyard after some playtime.
|11-13-2012, 02:04 PM||#19 (permalink)|
Join Date: Sep 2012
Please let me know if the breeders would like to place Kira in a home that specializes in caring for MegaE GSDs???
I have 3 MegaE GSDs now that are in varying forms of the disability and there will always be room for more in my home and life. I train and compete with my guys. I am a vet tech at a vet hosp near were I live so I always have a vet on call when needed
|11-13-2012, 02:26 PM||#20 (permalink)|
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Make sure your breeder doesn't put the dog down. Fur is amazing, she takes these dogs. Hopefully they can talk and maybe send the dog right to Furweed
My boy has mega and is doing amazing as well.