Bad day .. my puppy has MegaE - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I will keep your little girl in my prayers.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 11:55 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furweed View Post
Hello,

I hope Kira is doing ok at home.

I have three MegaE GSDs and I train and compete with them in obedience, rally and agility. One of them has PRAA with the MegaE, she is my worst case. All of my guys are doing great.
One is 2 years old, one is 18 months old and the other is not quite 6 months old I love these guys very much.

I don't think I could take in and care for these very special GSDs if I did not work as a vet tech at a vet hosp that helps me with these guys

If you would like to email and talk please feel free to email off line.

Furweed
Furweed, it is awesome you are on here! I love reading your posts and advice in the mega e yahoo group. Thank you for joining!

To the OP, furweed is an awesome resource and knows this issue well.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 12:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm sorry this is happening. I hope it turns out to be a mild case.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is very scary but please don't despair! There are great resources out there for you! I fostered a puppy who had MegaE, secondary to PRAA (corrected with surgery). He did fine on a slurry diet, didn't even have to eat elevated. He was active and had no other health problems.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 07:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How are you today, Frank? Thinking of you and praying for baby Kira.

Hugs!
Jan
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hello Frank, just checking to see how you and Kira are doing.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 02:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Hey folks.. my apologies for not checking back sooner. It has been a total whirlwind of activity since this was diagnosed and we both took some time off work to try and get a handle on things.

First things first... we are very touched and thankful for the support and advice offered here. It is much appreciated.

Kira is doing quite well and is adjusting to her new routine. Her meals and water are only fed to her while she is upright and thankfully she is no longer regurgitating. Holding an 11 week old puppy still after she eats is no small matter.. yikes! The vet has her on antibiotics to fight off pneumonia but from all accounts this is a pretty serious case of MegaE.

So, after weighing all our options and discussing with vets, the breeder and our family, we have made the heart-breaking decision to return her to the breeder They are just far better able to monitor and manage her condition since they are at home and have all the resources readily available.

I cannot overstate how helpful and supportive the breeder has been throughout this process. Their offer to look after her was of great relief as we were completely at a loss over what to do. We both have fulltime jobs, I run a business and our walker and daycare facility are just not able to manage this. I do not want to risk an issue developing and no one available to respond.

We are both devastated at the idea of letting her go and trying to reconcile the guilt we have but those around us support our decision and feel like we do that it is in Kira's best interest.

I will say one of the most amazing aspects of this development was watching my better half who never had a dog before and is "not really a pet person" step up to make Kira as comfortable as possible. Taking time off work to research the disease, downloading recipes, running out to stores and fashioning a makeshift Bailey chair. When I couldn't find them a couple nights back, I went into the room where we keep the puppy's crate and found her in there sleeping on the floor beside Kira.

Over the next few days we will get her ready for the flight back and I don't know if I can properly prepare myself for that day. Reading your comments here definitely helps though so thank you again.

Here are a couple recent pics... Kira grabbing a meal with her buddy Caesar looking on and her in the backyard after some playtime.

-Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Bad day .. my puppy has MegaE-kiramealtime.jpg   Bad day .. my puppy has MegaE-image-2-.jpg  
FrankieC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm really sorry you and Kira are going through this. Kira is adorable. I know you will miss her dearly.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #19 (permalink)

Please let me know if the breeders would like to place Kira in a home that specializes in caring for MegaE GSDs???
I have 3 MegaE GSDs now that are in varying forms of the disability and there will always be room for more in my home and life. I train and compete with my guys. I am a vet tech at a vet hosp near were I live so I always have a vet on call when needed
Than you,
Furweed
furweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master Member

Make sure your breeder doesn't put the dog down. Fur is amazing, she takes these dogs. Hopefully they can talk and maybe send the dog right to Furweed

My boy has mega and is doing amazing as well.
kr16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.