Diet for Allergies? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Diet for Allergies?

Well, I was too hopeful, I think. Gabe's skin irritation has continued and spread. He can't stop biting and he must be miserably itchy.

I'm convinced it's allergies, and I'd love some advice on where to go from here. I assume that it's something in his diet since I removed his collar, etc. and have had them off for a few days.

He's raw fed, so it shouldn't be hard to manipulate his diet, I just don't really know what I should start with.

Advice, please?

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

What I'm hoping for is some kind of elimination plan to isolate the culprit.

Gable: Black and Red GSD: 03/02/2012 -
Suki: Russian Blue: 03/02/2013 -
Anitsisqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

first thing you might want to do is control the symptoms. talk to your vet about otc benidryl.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Take him down to one source of protein. If after a couple of weeks/month he does well, then add another source of protein. Food allergies is a long hard battle but once you find out what is causing it it is easier to control. Make sure if you are feeding him ANY treats they are only from the protein source you are using.

Benedryl will help in the short term. And will probably give him some relief.

Kya - GSD 7/15/00
Phinneas - Min Pin 2/4/08
Milla - Orithia Z Diehlomov 2/10/12
TJ - GSD 2/27/99-8/7/11
TimberGSD2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Why do you think it's food related? What have you tried to eliminate environmental causes?

First, if you even think it could be seasonal/pollen related, try local raw honey at 1 tsp per day. Worked like a charm for Jax and I know of other dogs that it's worked for.

Second, if you are going to do an elimination then you feed one protein, and no carbs, at a time. I would start with pork or venison or a fish. Dogs seem to be less likely to be allergic to pork. Do that for 2-3 weeks. If no reaction, add another protein.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 10:20 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

I don't have any allergy issues with Kyleigh (raw fed) but one of my friends has a dog with allergies and the only protein she can eat is chicken.

Chicken's pretty bland (unlike pork which can be quite rich - Ky doesn't do well on pork LOL really runny poops on just 3 tablespoons of pork, so she doesn't get it) and is generally used as a base for all dogs when they are not feeling well (for whatever reason).

You could try just chicken for a while and see if that makes a difference. At least there's lots of chicken parts LOL
Old 11-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)

After adopting two dogs with allergies, I did a lot of studying on the subject. The first thing I did was put them on a commercial limited ingredient diet. The most common foods that cause reactions in dogs are grains, chicken and beef. LIDs use uncommon meats and starches; like buffalo meat and sweat potatoes. I had been warned that it often takes more than two months for the dog to stop showing symptoms so I waited and the itchy skin and ears did go away. I added back raw chicken and the symptoms flared up again so I put them on Taste of the Wild lamb that has no chicken and no grain. So far they are maintaining very well on that.
Marnie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Here' something to look at also

Canine Allergies and Your Dog's Health - Whole Dog Journal Article

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

I agree that chicken would be good to start with also. Are you feeding any supplements? Those can cause allergies too depending on what is in them. I would be careful with treats also.
kbella999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

So you've had two posts that say chicken, and one that says stay away from it ... are you confused yet?

I'm certainly no allergy expert, and haven't dealt with any with Kyleigh, but I would try and pick the easiest protein for you to have access to (in abundance LOL) and one that isn't super rich (like pork) or fatty (like pork).

Here's some info:

Food allergy is the third most common cause of allergic itching and scratching in dogs. It occurs in dogs of all ages. Unlike canine atopy, food allergy is not seasonal. Dogs can develop allergies to chicken, milk, eggs, fish, beef, pork, horse meat, grains, potatoes, soy products, or dietary additives. A dog must have been exposed to the allergen one or more times to become allergic. Typically, the dog has been on the same diet for at least two years.
The principal sign is severe itching, sometimesaccompanied by the appearance of small red bumps, pustules, and raised patches of skin. Characteristically, the rash involves the ears, feet, backs of the legs, and underside of the body.
Since food allergy is less common than canine atopy and flea allergy dermatitis, the dog is often thought to be suffering from one of those diseases. Many dogs will start by showing signs just in their ears, with a red, moist rash.
Treatment: The diagnosis is made by placing the dog on a hypoallergenic test diet and watching for a definite reduction in itching and scratching. A hypoallergenic diet is one that has a very limited number of ingredients. It should contain no added coloring, preservatives, or flavorings. Most important, it should contain ingredients that the dog is unlikely to have encountered in the past.
taken from: http://pets.webmd.com/dogs/dogs-and-...y-or-allergies

Good luck, it must be super frustrating for both you and Gabe.

Last edited by Kyleigh; 11-08-2012 at 02:30 PM.
Kyleigh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.