DM - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Dainerra, I am so sorry to hear this. I wish there was something I could do but know Leyna, Hades, and I are sending prayers and thoughts your way.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Dainerra

thanks everyone who suggested treatment for the DM.
I had a meeting with the vet today. I am taking him in for a blood workup on Monday but treatment for the DM really isn't an option because of the hip dysplasia.
She said that, even with the best scenario on the DM, we would be looking at a limited quality of life due to pain.
Dainerra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm feeling pretty hopeless today.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Actually stem cell treatment has worked well for dogs with hip dysplasia as well. There were some movies on line of a dog that could barely walk before treatment and could run after the treatment.
You can research it.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainerra View Post
thanks everyone who suggested treatment for the DM.
I had a meeting with the vet today. I am taking him in for a blood workup on Monday but treatment for the DM really isn't an option because of the hip dysplasia.
She said that, even with the best scenario on the DM, we would be looking at a limited quality of life due to pain.
I don't understand why they can't treat the DM because of the HD?

And are you talking about the pain b/c of the HD?

Don't feel hopeless! If the HD is bad enough and you can afford the surgery- then that can be cured! And if it isn't too bad, it can be managed! I would get the dog on Adequan, if not already. Also chondroitin, MSM, high levels of fish oil and Ester-C, hyaluronic acid, turmeric. You can try a natural anti-inflammatory supplement like Zeel (by Heel) and use the hard stuff on bad days. I would also do a raw or home cooked diet with anti inflammatory foods. Maybe get some acupuncture too. Obviously keep the weight down and swimming is great for muscles!

I don't know much about DM treatment except for what I have read on here in reference to the stem cell treatment- I don't understand why that can't be done?

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 06:53 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

He can't have surgery because his elbows are also bad. That is why it want done years ago.
Very also said that the dm is so progressed that he probably shouldn't be sedated again. They have him a bit of ace to take thexrays and he almost didn't make it through the night.
He lost all muscle control in front and rear, urinated all over himself, eyes sunken, he couldn't even lift his head.
Not to mention I honestly dont have the $3000 it would cozy for stem cell therapy.
His vet said that the muscle mass was almost entirely gone. In less than a month he has lost over 10 lbs. 2 Weeks ago, he was running around the yard posting. Then he went from occasionally dragging his feet to falling down the stairs. He is constantly dragging his feet and occasionally "crossing over"
There are signs that there its kidney and or liver damage. He has a fever. His left rest hick is swollen to the size of my forearm and they can't figure out why.
The muscle its what WA holding his hip into place and now it its grinding off bits of bone with every step.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm so sorry that you're going though this, I wish there were words to make you feel better.
I will be sending healing thoughts and prayers to you and your boy.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Have they riled out tick-borne diseases. They can give similar symptoms.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #19 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Yes, that sounds very odd. Like a tick thing or MMM or even Tetanus or a lot of other weird stuff with the eyes doing that.

That is not what I understand (and do not know for sure) the progression of DM to be like. I would imagine there is something else going on - whether it is something good/treatable or something just as bad/worse - it would be impossible to say, but a tick test, or even just starting on aggressive doxy dose might just get somewhere.

I would see if I could get that and start it today just to see - it's not going to hurt (? I don't think! As long as it isn't expired) and could get some results (I always like to hope). I wouldn't even bother to test, just treat.

Doxy: https://sites.google.com/site/tickbo...dogs/treatment
Quote:
The dosage we recommend on Tick List is an aggressive one: 5 mg. of doxy per pound of body weight given every 12 hours for 8 weeks. For those who prefer to figure body weight in kilograms, this is approximately the same as 10 mg per kg, the difference being not enough to mention.
This is twice as high as the dose that is generally recommended - and here I should probably remind you that I am not a veterinarian or a medical professional. Well, that's true. At the same time, I should tell you that your vet is the one to decide what dosage to use. Well, I would concur if your vet is familar with tick-borne disease and knows it inside out. If not, he or she should consult with a colleague who is before deciding on the dosage.
Doubtful but something to read: Masticatory Muscle Myositis - Page 1

Tetanus in Pets (Group I/II)

Reasons Why a Dog's Eye Would Sink in | eHow.com includes ticks

Very doubtful: Horner's Syndrome in Dogs

I feel for you.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

So sorry you are going thru this. I know how much it hurts! My Shadow went downhill so fast after the sedation for the X-rays. It seems that for some reason it made it so much worse.

Last edited by shepherdmom; 11-09-2012 at 10:53 AM.
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.