Missing hair spots on her ear - what could they be? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Missing hair spots on her ear - what could they be?

I've noticed in the last few weeks she's been scratching her ears a bit more than usual, and when I looked at them closely, I see (both are like this, though the other's not as bad) that there are spots without hair about the size of your pinky fingernail.

For a few days, I sprayed them with Vetericyn Wound and Infection Control, but it's made no difference. This is the first time ever she's gotten this, so I'm stumped.

A couple of months ago she got spayed, and right after it, developed a hot spot on a cheek (it had pus leaking too though, and these are totally dry) , which we treated with some stuff from the vet (antibiotics I believe as well as some Vetericyn), and the hair had fallen out, but was fine in a few weeks. That's the closest thing to this I've seen.

Thanks for any help. Hoping to avoid a vet visit! Pic attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Missing hair spots on her ear - what could they be?-img_0934.jpg  

Last edited by Lotus99; 11-04-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Lotus99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would get them scraped at the vet. My neighbor's GSD had the same thing and it turned out being sarcoptic mange. It could also possibly be an allergy, but I would rule out the other first.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Blimey... Thanks for the input. Been going to the vet every freakin' few months it seems for one thing or the other...

I'll look up this mange thing to see what i can find. So it's not something you can leave for a week or two and see if it resolves itself?
Old 11-04-2012, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

No, if it is mange you have to treat it. Sarcoptic mange is also highly contagious to people and can cause scabies.

If it is a food allergy, you will need to change the food.

At the rainbow bridge:
Zappa 12/27/00-1/23/12 You are my heart, my soul, and my best friend. You will be with me always.
Zeus 5/9/12-8/13/12 You taught me strength. Run free.
jaggirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thx. Will get her in soon then. Shouldn't be a food thing as her diet hasn't changed. Or could a one off feeding of some snack (we occasionally give her a bit of our food) cause this?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

I would be worried about mange before food allergies. Given that it itches it could very well be sarcoptic mange which can get ugly quickly (Google "Sarcoptic Mange" and click images to see what it can and will become left untreated) and spread to other pets and people. Skin scraping would be my first step before anything else!
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
A couple of months ago she got spayed, and right after it, developed a hot spot on a cheek (it had pus leaking too though, and these are totally dry) , which we treated with some stuff from the vet (antibiotics I believe as well as some Vetericyn), and the hair had fallen out, but was fine in a few weeks. That's the closest thing to this I've seen.

Thanks for any help. Hoping to avoid a vet visit! Pic attached below.
How old is she?...Was she spayed, vaccinated and given fle/heartworm prevention within 6 months of each other? Was she given rabies vax. at/around same time as spay? Was she given 5 in 1 shot or leptosporosis.

What food is she eating? What table scraps? Have you had her thyroid tested?

My dog lost his fur on the backs of his ears from scratching every year for the first 4 yrs. I had him.

Always started in Oct. and as the fall winter season progressed, so did the itching.

Come May it stops...as seasons change, it can affect certain organs, and if the organs are struggling with enviro. toxins and other things like vaccines, the adjuvants in them (mercury, formaldhyde, aluminum), the pesticides (heartworm/flea treatments), anesthesia from the surgery, the hormone changes and then the abx. post surgery....then you have to factor in processed food...this is likely a symptom of toxicity.

If you want to test for mange, take your thumb and forefinger and rub together along the ear margins (edges) to the tip, if mange the back leg will start kicking like you hit the sweet spot
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

She was only spayed two months ago, at the age of 1.5 years. She got her rabies shot a year ago, and when they did the spay, they tested her titre dp/v levels, and she was fine, so she didn't get anything else. Unless the vet has missed something, all her shots should be up to date.

I actually came across the home test (like you say, running your fingers along the ear) which is supposed to be 95% accurate, and got nothing. She maybe scratches her ears a few times an hour. I'd think with this mange stuff, she'd be scratching it a lot more frequently?

I wonder if it's just some wierd food thing, or other thing, like you say, seasonal itch. She's been doing it a few weeks, and if it was mange, it should have gotten a lot worse by now I'd think? The only change I'd say is the little spots have grown in number on her ear in a few weeks. So like there's 5 of them now on one ear.

She's otherwise healthy, exercises well, eats raw almost all the time (other than a meal of kibble occasionally) and the scraps only amount to a couple of leftover tablespoons of food here and there.

So I'm thinking it's probably not mange, but what the heck is it... And a $70 vet bill. If they test it, they need to check the scrapings under a microscope - and I wonder if a lab charge would be on top of the vet visit too... That's why I didn't want to just jump the gun and panic.

Do healthy dogs, who live indoors almost all the time, living in urban areas, get mange? I want to see if I can assign a probability to this...
Old 11-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I think it's related to the spay.

Baldness and Hormone-Related Skin Disorders in Dogs | petMD

Look into Evening Primrose Oil as an omega supplimental oil
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You should have a vet do a scraping to see if it is mange or not.
Tulah v Maringaland- puppy in training!
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.