Missing hair spots on her ear - what could they be? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2012, 10:04 PM   #31 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Our vet looked at the scrapings under a microscope while we were there, and from what I understand, should have shown the mange mites, which she said she doesn't have.
Sarcoptic isn't' always found on scrapes.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
can you post a picture which would show her full body condition?
I could do so tonight, though her coat's perfectly fine everywhere else. I practically went over every inch of her with my bare hands when washing her last week (not gloved, so I could feel every little thing), except for her stomach. It's literally the 3 areas I've described, so very localized. What would you like to see?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheDawgies View Post
could it be ring worm?
That's what the vet suspects / hopes. She used a black light in her office, but it didn't show anything, though it's not totally conclusive, which is why we've sent off for cultures to develop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Sarcoptic isn't' always found on scrapes.
But I hear that it's very itchy, and she hardly itches herself, except on the head (the little blood clots) when she was doing a few times an hour (before I got the cone on her). Every time the little things on her head would heal and scab over, she'd scratch them off again, hence the cone.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:38 PM   #33 (permalink)
Banned

When you scratch her ears (the edges) does her hind leg try to scratch?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
When you scratch her ears (the edges) does her hind leg try to scratch?
No... I read about that tip in the Wiki article. The lab did a cytosis(?) test already with the scrapings, and the results came back with nothing. But I'd hope if a simple case of mange was what is going on, they should have figured it out by now.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #35 (permalink)
Banned

You'd be surprised
Old 10-16-2013, 12:56 PM   #36 (permalink)

A one year update: So about a month ago, to my surprise, she started itching more than usual, and when looking over her, I found another dead patch of hair again on the back, just above her tail. Pretty close to where it was last year. I was blown away it had come back almost exactly to the year. Nothing on her ears though.

I figured maybe it's like GatorBytes above said happens to her dog every year, at the same time, and it's something to ignore.

So we went in to the vet anyway, as she was due for her annual, and we were checking her out, and looked under her belly as well, as I had seen some scabs there, and then we see this little black flea running across her tummy!

So the vet now thinks that it's a flea bite that she's allergic too, and most likely, last year was the same thing, though oddly enough, we ran all these tests on her and took scrapes and checked for fleas, but nothing showed up. She said though unless you get lucky and the flea is picked up in the scrape, it is hard to pick up in the tests.

So we put her on two doses of Advantage II, and I will proactively give her two doses next year in early September, which is when flea season here starts. I think it makes sense, as last year, we ended up putting her on two doses of Revolution, which is for both sarcoptic mange and fleas, and the problem did seem to clear up after, come to think of it.

So it seems at least the mystery is solved! Phew!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.