Rear leg tremors? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Rear leg tremors?

I've become increasingly curious/concerned about Blitz's leg tremors. He's had them ever since I adopted him in 2010 but they don't appear to be getting any worse (that I can tell).

They typically occur when we're out on walks. Once we stop walking, one of his hind legs will shake. It doesn't seem to be related to distance as sometimes we're only a few feet from the house and his leg will shake. Also if he's laying on his side and stretches out his rear legs, one of them will shake. He's not in pain, there's no limping and he doesn't seem to notice it. We still go on 3+ mile hikes and I take him on 2 mile runs with me in the mornings with no pain or stiffness. Since taking him on runs and switching to a higher protein food, his rear leg muscle mass has actually increased somewhat, but it's not as good as it could be.
From what I've read it's something that older dogs seem to experience but I can't find out why. Truth be told, I nor the vets have any idea how old he is as he has unusual teeth wear. Around 5 to 8 is their guess.

I've asked the vet about them and they don't seem to be too concerned, he's due for a rabies shot in a few months so I'll ask again, I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this or knows the cause.
Greydusk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

my airedale has this, its referred to as the terrier tremor. i have never seen this in a gsd, but if your dog acts fine and your vet is not worried abut this, then i wouldn't worry.
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 12:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greydusk View Post
I've become increasingly curious/concerned about Blitz's leg tremors. He's had them ever since I adopted him in 2010 but they don't appear to be getting any worse (that I can tell).

They typically occur when we're out on walks. Once we stop walking, one of his hind legs will shake. It doesn't seem to be related to distance as sometimes we're only a few feet from the house and his leg will shake. Also if he's laying on his side and stretches out his rear legs, one of them will shake. He's not in pain, there's no limping and he doesn't seem to notice it. We still go on 3+ mile hikes and I take him on 2 mile runs with me in the mornings with no pain or stiffness. Since taking him on runs and switching to a higher protein food, his rear leg muscle mass has actually increased somewhat, but it's not as good as it could be.
From what I've read it's something that older dogs seem to experience but I can't find out why. Truth be told, I nor the vets have any idea how old he is as he has unusual teeth wear. Around 5 to 8 is their guess.

I've asked the vet about them and they don't seem to be too concerned, he's due for a rabies shot in a few months so I'll ask again, I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this or knows the cause.
I don't want to be an alarmist but have you had him tested for DM?
shepherdmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
I don't want to be an alarmist but have you had him tested for DM?
I thought about this, but wouldn't it progress quicker? He's had this for at least two years and hasn't worsened.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I thought about this, but wouldn't it progress quicker? He's had this for at least two years and hasn't worsened.
I honestly don't know. I missed the signs in Shadow, so by the time we discovered it he, progressed very quickly. However that being said I've read stories of dogs having it for years before it starts progressing.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepherdmom View Post
I honestly don't know. I missed the signs in Shadow, so by the time we discovered it he, progressed very quickly. However that being said I've read stories of dogs having it for years before it starts progressing.
I hope it's not...
Is the test a DNA test?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I hope it's not...
Is the test a DNA test?
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I, can chime in on the DM. I believe there are a couple of different tests from different universities. Jocoyn one of the moderators on this board had the test done on her dog. I would ask her about it.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Could be magnesium deficiency.

I give my dog 100mg/day split am/pm
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Could be magnesium deficiency.

I give my dog 100mg/day split am/pm
Interesting...
I might do an x-ray or blood work next time we're at the vets.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Magnesium is indicated for smooth muscle contraction, muscle weakness, spasms, as well as seizures and the heart (a muscle). It's an important mineral, with low risk of toxicity (unlike zinc/copper imbalance or too much calcium/phos. etc.)...the only caution I have read is with a pre-existing kidney problem, then it should not be used.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.