Dogs just ate M&M's, any reason to be concerned? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
shaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 460
Default Dogs just ate M&M's, any reason to be concerned?

Yes, I know chocolate is toxic for dogs. Somehow my dogs got ahold of 2 bags of the halloween M&M's, the peanut ones. Each bag is 13 grams and probably holds 10 peanut M&M's. Both dogs consumed them I believe, but I have no idea how much each dog had.

I know M&M's don't have a ton of chocolate, and it's milk chocolate so it's not quite as toxic as if it were dark chocolate, but is there any reason to be concerned? Obviously I've made sure the rest are out of reach (I though they were to begin with), but is such a small amount of chocolate any reason to take them to the E-vet? I wasn't planning on it as my google searches seem to indicate they'll be fine, but I thought I would ask here to be safe as well.

I don't have anything here that would make them throw up, so it's either off to the vet they go, or I do nothing.
__________________
Cedar - August 8, 2010
Titan - October 20, 2011
shaner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator
 
jocoyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,744
Default

13 grams, a half ounce bag? I think you are ok. May get a little bit of the runs. FWIW my English Springer Spaniel ate a 2 lb bag of hershey's kisses once and did not really get sick other than that.
__________________
Nancy
www.scsarda.org

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
shaner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
13 grams, a half ounce bag? I think you are ok. May get a little bit of the runs. FWIW my English Springer Spaniel ate a 2 lb bag of hershey's kisses once and did not really get sick other than that.
Yeah that's pretty much what I figured. Hershey's kisses would likely have a lot more chocolate than M&M's.
__________________
Cedar - August 8, 2010
Titan - October 20, 2011
shaner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Nigel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Washington
Posts: 3,452
Default

The yellow bag M&Ms are milk chocolate. It's bad, but a small amount probably won't do much. It's the dark chocolate and bakers chocolate that are very toxic. Our beagle ate a 2 tiered box of assorted chocolates and didn't even show the slightest sign of illness, she was indestructible.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Jax08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NNE PA
Posts: 20,993
Default

Milk chocolate has very little chocolate in it. Our boxers used to CLIMB to get the Easter baskets and always managed to get one with the huge hershey kiss in it. It can depend on the dog but he will most likely be just fine.
__________________
Jax
Seger vom Sitz von der Hose

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
13 grams, a half ounce bag? I think you are ok. May get a little bit of the runs. FWIW my English Springer Spaniel ate a 2 lb bag of hershey's kisses once and did not really get sick other than that.
OMG. My ESS did that back in the 80s when I was in my 1st marriage.
We passed out some then went with our own child, trick-or-treating, and came home to aluminum wrappers all over! I had no idea chocolate could make dogs sick, and she was okay, but the next day her poo was runny and shiny all at once!!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Stevenzachsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,057
Default

When I was a kid, I used to share M&Ms and Hershey kisses with my beagle. Dog lived for 17 years.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator
 
jocoyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 13,744
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
OMG. My ESS did that back in the 80s when I was in my 1st marriage.
We passed out some then went with our own child, trick-or-treating, and came home to aluminum wrappers all over! I had no idea chocolate could make dogs sick, and she was okay, but the next day her poo was runny and shiny all at once!!
Yes that was the year our yard was decorated in Christmas Hershey Kiss wrappers. They were EVERYWHERE. 1993-one of the rare years we had snow on the ground so they REALLY stood out.
__________________
Nancy
www.scsarda.org

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
Rerun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,991
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
Yes that was the year our yard was decorated in Christmas Hershey Kiss wrappers. They were EVERYWHERE. 1993-one of the rare years we had snow on the ground so they REALLY stood out.
Happened to me 3 Christmas's ago. My smallest girl at about 55 lbs ate a 2 1/2 lb bag of the cheap hersheys chocolates. They were all individually wrapped in sparkly foil and I found sparkly poop for awhile after.

The emergency vet said she would have had to eat approx 10 lbs of that kind of choc to even get a little sick.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Scarlettsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA...but longing for CO
Posts: 1,441
Default

My parents had a miniature Schnauzer eat an entire pound of See's chocolates and other than skipping ONE meal and a little lethargy, she was fine. Still, you can't be too careful. The nuts probably caused her more intestinal issues than anything.
__________________
Scarlett WGSD 2/07 CGC TDI(retired)
Paige Husky/GSD mix 2/95-12/08

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Scarlettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com