Dogs just ate M&M's, any reason to be concerned? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 10:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dogs just ate M&M's, any reason to be concerned?

Yes, I know chocolate is toxic for dogs. Somehow my dogs got ahold of 2 bags of the halloween M&M's, the peanut ones. Each bag is 13 grams and probably holds 10 peanut M&M's. Both dogs consumed them I believe, but I have no idea how much each dog had.

I know M&M's don't have a ton of chocolate, and it's milk chocolate so it's not quite as toxic as if it were dark chocolate, but is there any reason to be concerned? Obviously I've made sure the rest are out of reach (I though they were to begin with), but is such a small amount of chocolate any reason to take them to the E-vet? I wasn't planning on it as my google searches seem to indicate they'll be fine, but I thought I would ask here to be safe as well.

I don't have anything here that would make them throw up, so it's either off to the vet they go, or I do nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 10:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

13 grams, a half ounce bag? I think you are ok. May get a little bit of the runs. FWIW my English Springer Spaniel ate a 2 lb bag of hershey's kisses once and did not really get sick other than that.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 11:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
13 grams, a half ounce bag? I think you are ok. May get a little bit of the runs. FWIW my English Springer Spaniel ate a 2 lb bag of hershey's kisses once and did not really get sick other than that.
Yeah that's pretty much what I figured. Hershey's kisses would likely have a lot more chocolate than M&M's.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

The yellow bag M&Ms are milk chocolate. It's bad, but a small amount probably won't do much. It's the dark chocolate and bakers chocolate that are very toxic. Our beagle ate a 2 tiered box of assorted chocolates and didn't even show the slightest sign of illness, she was indestructible.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Milk chocolate has very little chocolate in it. Our boxers used to CLIMB to get the Easter baskets and always managed to get one with the huge hershey kiss in it. It can depend on the dog but he will most likely be just fine.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
OMG. My ESS did that back in the 80s when I was in my 1st marriage.
We passed out some then went with our own child, trick-or-treating, and came home to aluminum wrappers all over! I had no idea chocolate could make dogs sick, and she was okay, but the next day her poo was runny and shiny all at once!!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When I was a kid, I used to share M&Ms and Hershey kisses with my beagle. Dog lived for 17 years.
Stevenzachsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
OMG. My ESS did that back in the 80s when I was in my 1st marriage.
We passed out some then went with our own child, trick-or-treating, and came home to aluminum wrappers all over! I had no idea chocolate could make dogs sick, and she was okay, but the next day her poo was runny and shiny all at once!!
Yes that was the year our yard was decorated in Christmas Hershey Kiss wrappers. They were EVERYWHERE. 1993-one of the rare years we had snow on the ground so they REALLY stood out.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Yes that was the year our yard was decorated in Christmas Hershey Kiss wrappers. They were EVERYWHERE. 1993-one of the rare years we had snow on the ground so they REALLY stood out.
Happened to me 3 Christmas's ago. My smallest girl at about 55 lbs ate a 2 1/2 lb bag of the cheap hersheys chocolates. They were all individually wrapped in sparkly foil and I found sparkly poop for awhile after.

The emergency vet said she would have had to eat approx 10 lbs of that kind of choc to even get a little sick.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

My parents had a miniature Schnauzer eat an entire pound of See's chocolates and other than skipping ONE meal and a little lethargy, she was fine. Still, you can't be too careful. The nuts probably caused her more intestinal issues than anything.

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Scarlettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.