Caring For A Retired Breeding Bitch - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2012, 08:45 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She definitely got her butt kicked in a dog fight. The rest of her actually looks pretty good for just weaning a litter of pups. I would like to stangle anyone that causes an embedded collar on a dog though.
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2012, 09:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elaine View Post
She definitely got her butt kicked in a dog fight. The rest of her actually looks pretty good for just weaning a litter of pups. I would like to stangle anyone that causes an embedded collar on a dog though.
She is much skinnier than what the pictures make her look like. She has no layer of fat at all over her spine, you can see and feel every rib she has and her hip bones are also very prominent. I've never once seen a decent looking female from weaning pups look like she does. She was just neglected and these people were just irresponsible owners that neglected her; plain and simple.
bethany.cole2013 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Default Updated Pics and Information

So it's been about roughly a week or so since Grace found us. Its amazing what quality food and deworming and love will do for a dog. We've been feeding her Canidae ALS 1 cup twice a day with a raw egg edded to her food in the afternoon. Her coat is already twice as good as what it was when she first got her and she's already starting to pick up a little bit of weight. Her milk is also drying up great and her cuts are healing great. We've been using the Vetericyn twice daily on her cuts and putting anti-biotic ointment on them once daily. She's such a lover and will literally shower you with kisses if you let her. She's also getting better about respecting my space, but we still have to work with my husband and getting her to accept him and bond with him. I'm thinking it was a man that harmed her with her last owners so that may be why she's slower to trust him than women. She doesn't know a stranger and welcomes everyone in the house with open paws lol. We just have to keep taking things slow and wait for her scars (both emotional and physical) to heal. I also started working with her on some basic obedience stuff and she's actually pretty fast at learning considering she's an older dog. She's picked up sit and we are working on down now. She's very food motivated so we've been doing great with food rewards and also clicker training.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #24 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She is so pretty. I love the coloring of her face.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 06:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
She is so pretty. I love the coloring of her face.
Thanks. She's really becoming this gorgeous and happy girl. I typically don't care for saddle back coloring, but with hers being as extensive as it is and her dark full mask, I think I'm in love all over again She's smitten by me and so am I by her. I'm really quite amazed at the difference between a week ago and now.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #26 (permalink)
Crowned Member

She's a blanket back. I have one and love the coloring on their faces.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #27 (permalink)

such a pretty girl, I'm sure she is VERY happy to be with you vs her previous situation, thanks for rescuing her and giving her a good home

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-25-2012, 07:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

I love her!

http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1275860

Failure *is* success, if you learn from it.
PatchonGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 08:15 PM   #29 (permalink)

So an update on Grace. She was cleared by the vet to be okay to find a suitable adopter. Her infection was completely gone, all parasites were gone and she was spayed a week before she was adopted. My friend that got her and myself conducted a VERY rigorous search for a suitable adopter and worked with a rescue in finding an adopter. She left with her new family approximately a week ago healthy, happy and like brand new shiny toy. My camera broke a couple of weeks ago so unfortunately I didn't get to take any happy adoption pics to share. All her cuts and bruises had also healed completely and the hair on her face was starting to fill in, but the vet did tell us and we told the adopters it may never fully regrow and she may always have physical and emotional scars from her previous life. They understood this and were so loving and patient and I couldn't have asked for an adoption to go any smoother. They were required to sign a contract stating they would never give her away, sell her, or take her to an animal shelter without first letting us know so we could take her back and find her a different home. They also had no qualms about us conducting a background check and doing a home visit and reference checks. They do keep in touch and they say she's doing great! Just wanted to update you guys and let you know the happy ending.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:41 PM   #30 (permalink)
Elite Member

what a great thing you have done!
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.