Infected anal sac: any experience with localized antibiotics? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default Infected anal sac: any experience with localized antibiotics?

Yesterday my puppy had his sac expressed for the second time in 2 weeks. My vet said that there was only half as much fluid as last time, but to come back in a week and at that point if it hasn't cleared up, he'll be given antibiotics.

She mentioned one that is given directly into the anus, with the applicator being a little 'cup' so I'm imaginging a pill? I'm reading through all the old posts and it sounds like the usual treatment is more of a jell, and inserted into the sac itself. I should have asked more questions...

She also said that it's up to my puppy, lol, because if he's squirming around too much then he'll have to have oral abx, but said the localized one worked better at clearing up the infection.

Do any of you have experience with this? Was it hard to get your dog to sit still for it? I'm in the room holding his ribcage between my knees while a tech holds him under the abdomen when the vet is expressing the glands. Does this sound like it might work for the insertion too? Yes, he does squirm - hey, who wouldn't?
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

My guy had a persistant infection that 2 rounds of abx didn't cure so he had the gel infused into his anal glands directly. He had to have mild sedation for this b/c it is uncomfortable. My vet said he would try the gel twice and after that would recommend removal of the glands if that wasn't successful. We've been fine now for 2 years. Never heard of a pill being used - maybe someone else has had that experience.

Quinn, Mar. 8/2007
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
Quinnsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I'm glad things went so well for Quinn - I'm getting a bit freaked out (me? no!) reading those posts because PF keeps getting mentioned - thanks for telling me about your good experience. Maybe I'll just ask her to give him the sedation and go that route if he can't stop squirming.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

Yes, PF was my concern also. I wanted it cleaned up and finished. Check again with your vet re: procedure. There may be something new out there that doesn't need sedation. Our experience was 2.5 years ago.

Quinn, Mar. 8/2007
Shadow, 1995-2007, always in my heart
Quinnsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
DWP

Default No problems, it just never worked for long

Our 9 yr old White GSD had infections off and on for three years. On the advice of our Vet, we had them removed and she has been much more comfortable, and none of the staining. Our Vet used several treatments with antibiotics before we had them removed, but never had any issues with administering the medication. (Pyzon is very calm at the vet, donít ask me why)

Philip Perkins
DWP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Thanks DWP, I'll also opt for the surgery if this seems to be something that he deals with constantly. The more I read about this, the worse it sounds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.