Limping questions with 9 month old - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2012, 06:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Limping questions with 9 month old

I know the vet is who I need to talk to first. But yet again its been a tough month (especially since I'm out of town and don't have any opportunities to make extra $$) so I wanted to check with those of you who are experienced first.

Kaiser played for about 2 hours yesterday at the dog park. That's a little less than what he normally needs, however we left after I saw him limping.

I THINK he hurt himself when he made a ridiculously crazy jump into the air for a frisbee. Now, don't think that I'm intentially trying to get him to jump, because I'm not. The frisbee was half chewed and by no means able to fly properly. It mostly just dive bombed into the ground, which was totally ok by Kaiser because all he cares about is the plastic and not so much the catching/jumping/whatever. At any rate, a gust of wind catches this broken frisbee and by some miracle it starts to float. So Kaiser runs up to it and jumps straight up into the air. Like a kangaroo. I've never seen anything like it. He landed, and went on about his business.

Now, the limping could also be from running along rocks (silly dog) instead of up the ramp when he was swimming. It could be from him sprinting up and down hills and around other dogs. Heck, who knows what its from.

At any rate, I noticed the limping soon after the broken frisbee "incident" (maybe 5-10 mins), when it appeared he had slowed down and was getting tired. I immediately left so he could get some rest.

Upon getting "home", I took him to potty and noticed that he was definitely limping on his right front leg. He was putting weight on it, and did not whimper or cringe when I felt it, but he was certainly favoring it and moving much more slowly.

I kept him in yesterday afternoon/night (no walks or OB) and aside from moving about randomly through the night he has more or less been immobile due to sleep.

This morning I took him out and he was walking pretty slowly (although he completely ignored it when he saw my roommate's door open, as he tried to run into the room). He is still walking gingerly but again is not holding his foot up. He is putting weight on it and still no signs of tenderness. The limping does worry me though, obviously.

I'm worried about a break, but even though dog's don't always show signs of pain I would think that he would show at least SOME? If its a muscle pull or strain, when should I expect to see improvement?

He will be in his x-pen all day while I'm at work, so that doesn't leave him much room to be baserko puppy (which is a good thing in this situation). Should 9ish hours of being lazy help any?

Even though I just posted the other thread, I don't plan on exercising him at all today aside from going out for potty breaks. I don't want to put any more stress on him if that will help.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jsnail17/
Kaiser2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 03:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

well, dogs dont fake pain but it doesnt sound like a break. usually with a break, the dog will not put ANY weight at all on it and if you try to touch or move it whine, be resistant, and even aggressive. my dog had a limp from a funny jump after catching a ball in the air and landing in a small divot in the ground. she yelped and was immediately keeping pressure off of it. the next day it had swelled up (a sign of a break). but we kept watching it and the swelling went down and she slowly put weight on it again and now it is completely healed and normal (it was a sprain, which can also be painful). it took about 2 weeks for it to heal completely but we saw improvements in about a half or week or so.
my other dog has had a limp too because she got something stuck in her paw pads. she will limp around to keep any thorns or prickers from going deeper in her paws and then she usually rips her fur all out of her paw pads (we have pricker things in our grass in texas) and her skin becomes a bit raw and she will limp around for a little while.

i would say check your pups paws in between the pads to rule out anything being stuck inside, then check the joints, one by one moving up to find the part that is hurt (your dog should respond to the one that is hurt as it is being moved). no swelling, your pup putting any weight at all on it, and being willing to move/ run around are all good signs. i wouldnt try to restrict all activities because then you wont be able to spot improvements and your dog wont be able to test placing weight on the limp.

and if it is a break, your vet will splint the bone that is hurt and maybe prescribe some pain meds. anyways, hope it works out well for you both
Isha.Bop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.