Rash on upper lip under nose (Identification needed) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rash on upper lip under nose (Identification needed)

Hi all!
Within the past month, I have discovered a rash on puppy's upper lip. It is located under her nose on the right side (where her whiskers attach.) The rash is a rough, bumpy, light pink color, with what looks to be two "pimples," that do not seem to be pus-filled. (Photo attached.) I have done some research on Pyoderma, and from the pictures I've seen, it doesn't look like that could be it.

For some background information, she is a German Shepherd mix, about 10 months old. We are located in Phoenix, Arizona, and she is an indoor/outdoor dog. When she is outdoors, she is in a 30x30 kennel with our other dog. It's is all dirt with a palo verde tree in the enclosure as well. Let me know if any more information is needed!!

I was looking to see if anyone had an idea as to what this could be! I am trying to avoid unnecessary vet bills by clearing this up myself! Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Rash on upper lip under nose (Identification needed)-img_1702.jpg  
dogowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 04:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

A slightly different angle.. you can see the two prominent dots on the right side upper lip.
Attached Thumbnails
Rash on upper lip under nose (Identification needed)-img_1704.jpg  
dogowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Its hard to tell by the pictures but it could be demodectic mange.

Mange in Dogs | Types of Mange
robk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 08:10 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

There are a number of things this could be...search lupus and zinc responsive dermatitis - you do not want to mess w/zinc suppliments, sometimes it is an imbalance w/copper - either too much of one and not enough of the other.

I would not trust treating for mange in this case without a "definative" diagnosis...in case it's lupus - which is auto immune disease...there are a couple more that are more specific - relate to immune system (I have to take my dog out - will get back, can't remember name), but there would (or still could be) a couple more symptoms - like the nose turning grey and leathery...

There also seems to be a relation to the season change - winter to spring or summer to fall - this is an indication of liver toxicity...
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

kind of hard to see in the pics, but i know that my dog has had something like this...didn't look as pronounced as your dog's tho. when he had it it was more like the skin around his whiskers was slightly red and a bit more visible. anyway, we figured out that it was irritation from chewing on a bone for a long period of time. any possibility it could be that?
Old 09-30-2012, 09:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Here is the other:
Pemphigus complex is a group of very serious autoimmune skin diseases that affects both dogs and cats. There are two main types: pemphigus foliaceus and pemphigus erythematosus. Both start with patches of red skin on the face, including the nose and ears. The foliaceus variety often spreads to other parts of the body, including the feet, central body, core, and paws.
Pemphigus erythematosus involves only the face, head, and footpads. The red patches rapidly turn into blisters, and then pustules, which can become crusty and cause the hair to stick to them. They look like oozing, crusty sores. Areas of skin depigmentation are also seen with both of these disease processes.
There is a third type of pemphigus called pemphigus vulgaris, which is rare. Blisters and ulcers can form on the lips, nostrils, and eyelids with this particular disorder and it can also involve the nail beds, which can cause the nails to fall out.
Discoid lupus erythematosus is another autoimmune disease that can occur in dogs, but doesnít happen in cats. Itís more common in certain breeds including Collies, German shepherds, Huskies, Shetland sheepdogs, and Brittany spaniels. It is thought to be a milder version of the systemic form of lupus, and limits itself only to the face. First the nose loses pigmentation, and then often it develops cracks and sores, non-healing fissures, as well as some crusting.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 09-30-2012, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Another type of nose disorder is called zinc-responsive dermatosis. Itís caused by a zinc deficiency and is prevalent in Huskies, Doberman pinschers, Great Danes, and Alaskan malamutes.
In zinc-responsive dermatosis, the dogís hair thins and a scaly, crusty rash can develop on the face that is most obvious on the nose, around the eyes, even in the ears, and around the mouth.
Crusting also appears on the elbows and hocks in some dogs. These areas can become callused and crack easily.
Itís important to make sure your dog has a confirmed case of zinc-responsive dermatosis before you discuss supplementing zinc with your vet. Zinc toxicosis is actually more prevalent than zinc-responsive dermatosis due to pet owners over-supplementing with zinc, incorrectly assuming their dog has a deficiency.
Other nutritional deficiencies can also cause changes in nose tissue, especially omega-3 fatty acid deficiency, which can cause the nose tissue to become thickened and dry.
Omega-3 fatty acids are sensitive to heat and light, and their potency decreases over time when food is stored. Itís no wonder that most pets consuming dry, kibbled food end up with essential fatty acid deficiencies.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:06 AM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I don't have the exact link for the stuff noted as I just copied and pasted into an email to myself a few months ago...My dog had a similar flare up in spring...it cleared up - I applied a cloth soaked in goldenseal tea, as any other cream or the like will just be licked off - I also used vit. e. He was then attacked by a cat and after the wounds healed he had another round of this hair loss and pink muzzle - lower lips turned red too...did goldenseal again - seems fine now...so it could be bacterial or fungal as well. But meds. will compromise the immune system further so try a natural topical to start. Vit. E after pressing a cloth of some type of berberine herb (do google search - there is a few - I just had goldenseal on hand)....another thing to consider is the vaccines - he/she is 10 months. Vaccines wreak havoc on the immune system. any vax. should be given at least 3 weaks apart. NOT an all in one and only core - Lepto, lyme and bortadella cause more problems then they prevent. Also corona virus. At the 1yr. schedule have titers done instead - this measures antibodies - if the antibodies are present then no need to vax.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Checking your dog or catís nose should be a normal part of your at-home wellness exam. Getting acquainted with the look and shape of your petís nose when itís healthy is important, because then youíll be able to determine when a problem pops up and it becomes unhealthy.
The only supplement I recommend applying to your petís nose while youíre waiting for your vet appointment is natural vitamin E. You can actually poke a vitamin E capsule to open it, squeeze out the contents, and apply it to your petís nose until you can be seen by your vet.
Other creams and salves can be fairly irritating to your petís nose, so I donít recommend you apply other products unless you have specifically been told to do so by your veterinarian.
Dr. Becker is the resident proactive and integrative wellness veterinarian of HealthyPets.Mercola.com. You can learn holistic ways of preventing illness in your pets by subscribing to MercolaHealthyPets.com, an online resource for animal lovers. For more pet care tips, subscribe for FREE to Mercola Healthy Pet Newsletter.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Hard to tell what it is from the pics. It could be anything from just an abrasion to puppy zits to a staph infection to mange. I would try and clean it up with some antiseptic cleaner or soap and water and watch it for a few more days. If it doesn't get better or gets worse, then see a vet. If it really bothers you, see a vet.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.