bare spot and bump on tail of puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default bare spot and bump on tail of puppy

Please see attached picture. It's hard to the touch. Any idea what this could be?
Attached Thumbnails
bare spot and bump on tail of puppy-photo.jpg  
td3201 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sebeceous cyst? If it is a cyst, I found that tumeric powder supplement help reduce them(my long coat got a couple from her fish oil supplements)

What part of the tail is it located? The precaudal gland is in the mid part of the tail, most sable dogs show the location prominently. Could be that the gland is causing some discomfort. My male at about a year started chewing that area for a couple months. Tail injury? Or infection?

Last edited by onyx'girl; 08-21-2012 at 10:16 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

It's about 2 inches from his rump on the top left (from dog's perspective). It's sealed skin so doesn't look like an open wound infection.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

How old is the pup? In the link I posted(tail injury) shows the precaudal gland location....is it there? If the pup is growing in the adult coat/usually around 14 weeks it starts, it could be a clogged hair follicle(s cyst) that is irritating him.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

does this mean that you went to the kennel and asked your hard questions and came home with a pup?

quote --For example, when asked the following question: What's been your worst learning experience while breeding GSD?

Here's how one answered:

Our bad experience was we changed dog food to a more natural diet but the feed value was not there; small pups at birth different sizes at birth which made it hard to sell the different size pups. It brought a lot of unnecessary questions that I could not give a good answer to.

This to me shows some vulnerability which tells me a lot. Anyone can make mistakes and no one has all of the answers but showing this vulnerability gives me some confidence in their word.

Okay , the tail, looks like it had a bit of an injury , maybe another pup biting and holding on , or the dog had fleas and gnawed at the itch , the skin was broken and is now fixing itself , hair will regrow.

Carmen
http://www.carmspack.com

Last edited by carmspack; 08-21-2012 at 11:40 PM.
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2012, 11:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

The comments you included below were from a different breeder. This was my top pick of the breeders I looked at. Unfortunately, I missed this spot on him. I already called the breeder. They advised I visit the vet tomorrow to find out what exactly it is and give them a call to determine next steps if we have a major problem.

By the way, the sire was much more active than what I was expecting which was a pleasant surprise.

I will update the forum with my findings just so others can learn from this as well.

Thanks everyone for your replies and expertise.

Last edited by td3201; 08-21-2012 at 11:55 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
How old is the pup? In the link I posted(tail injury) shows the precaudal gland location....is it there? If the pup is growing in the adult coat/usually around 14 weeks it starts, it could be a clogged hair follicle(s cyst) that is irritating him.
8 weeks.

It's very close to that spot. The problem is off center to the side so I am not thinking that's it but what do I know.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I thought that was your top pick for breeder . So are you going to introduce us to your pup .
carmspack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Visited the vet today. She believes it to either be scar tissue or a mass. No liquid to draw from it. She didn't recommend doing anything with it at this time. I will watch it closely.

Haven't named him yet. Here's a pic of him though. He's doing very well. Slept through the night for the most part. Our other dog is taking to him very well, playing, affectionate, etc. I need to get him in a rhythm for house training yet. I imagine that will work itself out quickly with some consistency on my part and him getting used to his new home.
Attached Thumbnails
bare spot and bump on tail of puppy-photo.jpg  
Old 08-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

brand new pup and post 1 pic only? "sad face" very cute pup. house breaking, you understand is all about prevention and having to wait until he has bladder control right. once the pup is old enough to have bladder control, it takes about a week to ten days for house breaking. need more pics!
huntergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.