Beware the Rope Toys - And More Things You Haven't Thought Of! - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
So, Moxy and Crow have this giant ball that has a tug o' war rope through the middle. After a year of playing with it, the rope frayed today. After picking up several pieces off the floor, I finally put the ball away.
Is this the Jolly Ball you are talking about? My boy loves his. I had to throw the first one away since he destroyed the ball. This is good to know. He isn't really interested in the rope but I'll definately keep an eye on this now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
FYI about tennis balls. Not good for their teeth, wears them down like sand paper. And at some point becomes to small and can be swallowed. It does happen.
Are the Kong Squeeky balls bad for the dogs teeth also?

Belinda
Rusti EAC, TN-N, TG-O, WV-N, NCC, NJC, CGC, GSD Diva
Jerry Lee AXP, MJP, OAC, TN-N, WV-N, NCC, NJC, SPJ, UAG1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbella999 View Post
Is this the Jolly Ball you are talking about? My boy loves his. I had to throw the first one away since he destroyed the ball. This is good to know. He isn't really interested in the rope but I'll definately keep an eye on this now.

Yep...the Jolly Ball. My dogs love it. I still have to get another one. I think they were saying the squeeky balls are bad for their stomach since they can swallow the pieces after tearing them up.

On a positive - I bought the breast cancer awareness tennis balls made by Wilson, and Moxy hasn't destroyed one yet....even our friends' GSD didn't destroy it when the two of them played with one this weekend. Weird, right? They don't catch it in the air, though...so I haven't been worried about them swallowing it whole.

Ashley
Beulaville, NC

Moxy - GSD 6 yo (rescue)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Crow - Bassett fauve de Bretange 4 yo (adopted)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mew - Maine Coon mix 6 yo (adopted)
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 12:20 PM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbella999 View Post

Sand, grit and dirt can still get caught in the covering and act like sand paper. I use the JW balls, so far they are tough enough that Woolf hasn't torn them up and there is no cover for the grit to be caught in.

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Crowned Member

Sticks: a dog carried it by the top of the stick, stumbled over something and it went right through his brain, killing him instantly.
Tennis ball size hard rubber ball (Kong?)lodged in a GSD's throat, they couldn't get it out and he died on the way to the vet from suffocation.
Dried out bones, even uncooked, become too hard and can break their teeth.
A friend's dog ran up to a metal faucet with running water and broke her tooth.

I don't let them play freely with toys they can take apart. Rawhide under supervision only.
I know we can worry about many things but the ones we can prevent help.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 01:20 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
Sand, grit and dirt can still get caught in the covering and act like sand paper. I use the JW balls, so far they are tough enough that Woolf hasn't torn them up and there is no cover for the grit to be caught in.
Good point. I'll definately watch this more closely now. I have a JW ball and a Orbee Tough ball. He likes both of them but the Kong Squeeky balls are his favorite.

Belinda
Rusti EAC, TN-N, TG-O, WV-N, NCC, NJC, CGC, GSD Diva
Jerry Lee AXP, MJP, OAC, TN-N, WV-N, NCC, NJC, SPJ, UAG1
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 11-02-2012, 01:02 PM

No idea

My husband had a cat that ate some floss and they had a problem so I knew about eating long stringy things can be bad. We have a few tough rope toys that we have gotten for Blitz and just recently I caught him tearing at the ends of it some. I have never thought about it being bad for him since it has always been minor pieces but this really caught my attention and now has me worried about him. He is not an avid chewer so we haven't had a problem before. I will definitely be checking his toys more often now. Thanks.
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-18-2014, 08:50 PM

I don't think people should freak out and ban everything. Eventually your dog will have nothing to chew/play with because everything has an inherent risk to it. People die in bathtubs and sinks. Ballpoint pens kill people. Both people and animals can choke and die on even soft foods.

And not always because they were being irresponsible. Accidents sometimes happen. Millions of people chew on ballpoint pens. Should they all stop because a few accidentally swallowed a piece that tore their insides apart?

That being said, I do agree that we should be responsible and certain toys/chews should not be left unattended with your dog.

I don't use tennis balls because I wouldn't like the way they feel on my teeth, or even in my hand, so I don't even bother.

But ropes? I will let my older dog play with her rope. Why? Because it is the ONLY toy I can actually get her to play with. With my puppy, I'll let her play with ropes, under supervision, but she enjoys them and they are great tugs. HOWEVER, I will only use cotton ropes that I make myself. More biodegradable, easier on their teeth, and if some is accidentally swallowed, poses a much smaller risk than a polyester rope.

But no matter what toy, there will always be a risk. Kongs can be torn and pieces swallowed (yes, even the black ones), jolly balls can pose a risk, raw bones can damage teeth, etc.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 01:02 AM
Knighted Member

One of mine has this thing about dryer sheets. I have found them in his poop, he must find them if they fall on the floor when I take clothes out of the dryer and don't see them right away. So I have become totally anal about them and search every load of clothes to find them and throw them away! I sure don't know what the attraction is, but i don't want an impaction!
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 02-19-2014, 06:42 AM
Master Member

Penny shreds her ropes. I always have to stay on my toes trimming the excess strands with scissors until its too damaged to use any. Penny has however swallowed some because i find it in her stool occasionally

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 07:57 AM

My vet says he has done more surgeries for rope toy ingestion than probably any other obstruction! He recommends no rope toys, there's so much that is safer!!!!! Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page