Beware the Rope Toys - And More Things You Haven't Thought Of! - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
Apparently, they weren't so crazy after all. Lol
Apparently not!

We could change the title to rope toys and other things you don't think of as dangerous (or something like that) and people can add in for a sticky?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Apparently not!

We could change the title to rope toys and other things you don't think of as dangerous (or something like that) and people can add in for a sticky?
That would work!!
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyla View Post
FYI about tennis balls. Not good for their teeth, wears them down like sand paper. And at some point becomes to small and can be swallowed. It does happen.
Oh yeah. We don't use them for chew toys. We use them for fetch. We have to put them away when she isn't playing because we've seen her annihilate them.

Changing the title is fine by me. I just want people to know the dangers.

Ashley
Beulaville, NC

Moxy - GSD 6 yo (rescue)

Crow - Bassett fauve de Bretange 4 yo (adopted)

Mew - Maine Coon mix 6 yo (adopted)

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Crowned Member

This dog ate (there used to be pictures) a few pencil eraser sized pieces of kong toy:
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...jessie-er.html

God I am pissed!!!

TLI test results - any input?

post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
Oh yeah. We don't use them for chew toys. We use them for fetch. We have to put them away when she isn't playing because we've seen her annihilate them.

Changing the title is fine by me. I just want people to know the dangers.
I'd be careful with fetch with them too. I've heard enough stories of a dog swallowing them to be a little paranoid. I use balls that are too big to fit behind my dog's back teeth when playing throwing games.

My current favorite are these: http://www.amazon.com/KONG-Squeezz-Ball-Dog-Large/dp/B004YCJPT2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1345044980&sr=1-1&keywords=KONG+Squeezz+Ball+Dog+Toy%2C+Large
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 07:56 PM

GET RID OF ALL ROPE TOYS BURN THEM !!
i had a dog named bear and me family loved hi sooo much we would never do anything without him, i didnt know someone could love a dog that much!! One day he swollowed string and a week later we saw somthing was wrong, He had to get 4 operations because a 3 foot long string was wraped around all his instesines and it killed his insides. We paid $6,000 for everything and we dont regret it !!! He might have died anyway but that $6,000 was best $ 6,000 we ever spent!!
I MISS THAT FREAKING DOG SOO MUCH AND I MISS HIM EVERYDAY!!
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM
Banned

My dog has broken teeth on nylabones and antlers, both. Just saying, watch your dog's teeth when you give them something new like that. He's an OCD chewer, so regular toys/regular chewers may not be an issue.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 12:46 AM
Crowned Member

I've always put their toys up when we are done playing, but I was careless a couple weeks ago and let Zoey hang on to a chuck it ball while I paid the pizza guy and just that quick she ate almost half of it. We got lucky and she is fine, but that kind of stuff scares the crap out of me.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Elite Member

Saber tried to eat rope toys too. I have an alternative for those interested, that I think is safer. Target has these toys that are the same shape/length as a rope toy but it is 3 strips of thick fuzzy fabric woven together in a braid with a knot at each end. We use those for tug in training. Saber never has gotten any pieces off of it and it holds up well (but I still wouldn't leave it unattended, we only use it for tug). They are only $3.

Also be careful fetching with sticks with your dog. When I was a kid we threw sticks for our dog Scooter to fetch. One time we threw the stick and it landed stuck into the ground, she ran to fetch it by the end and jabbed the stick all the way into the back of her throat where it got stuck with blood gushing out. A vet was able to fix it, but I never fetch with sticks due to this.

Shawn
Mom to five kids and
"Saber" Jette vom Wildhaus BN RN CAX JJ-N HIC CGC
Kira vom Snoozhaus ZZZ CGC!!!

Saber's Blog:
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:25 AM
Crowned Member

We only have two, which were made in Germany. No China-made rope toys. And he always has to be supervised when he plays with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page