Brain tumor? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Brain tumor?

Hey everyone...I wasn't sure where to put this topic...As some of you know, we lost our Jazzy to a splenic mass in January of this year...We got Mono a few weeks after and he has done wonders to help heal our hearts...However, just 7 months later, we may be facing the same sadness...He's been seeing the vet for facial paralysis, ear issues and now he seems to be having "focal siezures," is what the doc said...We are currently waiting on blood/urine test results and we are going to be getting a consultation with a Neurologist...However, we can't afford an MRI so we have to go on what the Neuro doc says without the brain scan...What I'm getting at, is that our vet said Mono may have a brain tumor...It was horrifying to hear that C word again, as we just went thru it 7 months ago and may lose Mono as attached to him as we are...
Has anyone had experience with brain issues? Any help, info and of course hugs and prayers are always appreciated, we are devastated and so, so sad...Thanks...
JazzyLuv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Those also could be signs of epilepsy. Although serious, definitely not a death sentence. They could manage him with meds. For now, try to stay positive, as hard as that is after what you went through.

Cheyenne von der Price-Sable GSD-12/20/10-CGC
Faegan vom Johnson-Haus "Panzer"-Black GSD-12/31/11-S.T.A.R. Puppy
jprice103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I don't have experience with brain tumors but our golden had cancer and I feel your pain .
jewels04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

My GSP/Heeler mix died in September of a brain tumor. It was very sudden. She would complain alot about her ears and shake her head. I would take her into the vet and they said their was no infection and maybe it was cleared up now. I did that like three different times in the course of a year. She was almost 10 years old. One evening she woke us up and she was having a sezuire the first one ever. We could not get her out of it. We took her to the Evet and they gave her every thing they could to sedate her and she still was sezing (msp) - they found out that she had a tumor pressing against her brain and they said their was nothing they could do. We had to put her down. One of the most heart breaking things I ever have had to do. Hug the pup as much as you can, sorry you are going through this.
Bear-Lasa-poo (Our energizer bunny) RIP
chloesmama2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 11:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It can be epilepsy. How old is Mono? I don't think brain tumors are that common in dogs, especially younger dogs. Hemangiosarcoma is a common cancer. Or lymphoma.
Aspergillosis can cause strange symptoms.
Beaming positive thoughts yor way.
RebelGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 01:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I got my black lab because his owner passed away and he had a brain tumor before I got him. He literally had a half a brain, that side was all sunken in where they removed the tumor and part of his brain. I know that the lady that owned him paid about $5000.00 for the surgery. I had him for a couple years and another tumor formed in almost the same area(about 5-6 years later), but he was about 10 or 11 when that happened. I took him in and there wasn't to many options because of his age, prior cancer, and his size(he was huge). So I just monitored it and he lived about a year after that. He had a stroke and some kind of infection and we had him put to sleep..I don't think any of that stuff was related to the tumor. Before I got him, he was trained to be a mobility dog. He never really barked, he never gave kisses..I got maybe 4 kisses from him the whole time I had him. He never got to experience fun things labs do because he had a job and the lady who owned him was very old. I got to take him camping, swimming, to the beach, for long walks and I feel he enjoyed his last years and I'm happy I gave that to him. I hope everything turns out well for you, age will play a factor and your dog is young, its worth looking into what can be done for him. Good Luck.
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 12:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hey everyone, thanks so much for your support, experiences and care...Blood work on Mono came back normal, except his thyroid result is low, so now we are doing a super duper thyroid test next...Vet said its very possible this is the cause of all this...Would it be awful of me to say I HOPE this is what it is? From what I gather, a thyroid problem is a lot easier to treat than that "other" awful issue...
Old 07-29-2012, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

that would be great news! my best friends dog has a thyroid problem..and i am a thyroid cancer survivor..and it is so easy to treat and live with!!
rooandtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 12:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyLuv View Post
Hey everyone, thanks so much for your support, experiences and care...Blood work on Mono came back normal, except his thyroid result is low, so now we are doing a super duper thyroid test next...Vet said its very possible this is the cause of all this...Would it be awful of me to say I HOPE this is what it is? From what I gather, a thyroid problem is a lot easier to treat than that "other" awful issue...
I'm happy its that too and I don't think its wrong to be happy its that. I'm sure everything will be fine once you get it taken care of and learn more about it
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well Monos Thyroid result is normal...our next (and last) step is a Neuro consult but no MRI...The vet doesn't want to believe its a brain tumor but she isn't sure...It may be Idiopathic, she also mentioned possible ear scarring from infections? All this I DON'T KNOW I very, very frustrating...=(
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.