Help - My GSD is chewing her hair out. - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2012, 01:33 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBytes View Post
Thanks! I will research Clostridium - good info. Not to sabatoge the thread (but people read and learn so it can't hurt but will keep it short)...
Re: symptoms - back arch, have read sign of acute pancreatic inflammation, Kidney pain, and Bloat or bowel issue. May also be a cramp in his hind end due to injuries from last year (has been on the slow side)...I have used a Chiro x 2 but not recently and not acupucture don't think he will tolerate staying still, but then I'm sure they know and apply to calming meridians...I suffer from P.V.S.D. (post veterinary stress disorder) now...I really feel my dog was let down.
I agree about this thread. May I pm you with more info on pancreatitis?
Clostridum....NASTY little bugger, hard to get rid of, if at all. Lays dormant in the gut. 2 kinds... you can Google the names for info and there are homeopathic's to control them:
Clostridium difficile and Clostridium perfrigens.
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Hey OP,
One thing that helped my rescue dog with her severe allergies was adding Olewo to her diet. Olewo is a dried carrot supplement that you rehydrate before you feed with food. I add Salmon oil with it because the oils/fats help with absorption of the vitamins/nutrients in the carrots. My rescue used to have trouble with runny stools as well. After Olewo, bowel movements are solid and consistent. Highly recommend it! In addition, coat is soft, hair is thick and color is vibrant. I would give it a try
www.olewousa.com/
They carry Olewo on amazon.com now as well.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:57 PM   #23 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto2gsds View Post
i agree about this thread. May i pm you with more info on pancreatitis?
Clostridum....nasty little bugger, hard to get rid of, if at all. Lays dormant in the gut. 2 kinds... You can google the names for info and there are homeopathic's to control them:
clostridium difficile and clostridium perfrigens.
yes please!
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
GatorBytes is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #24 (permalink)

Wow again! Thanks SO much for all the great ideas and considerations! I have to really dig into these reccomendations as this is really the first time I am dealing with this. Again, you all have been a boon to Lola and I!

Thanks again and God Bless!
-Walt
Titanium5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #25 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium5 View Post
Wow again! Thanks SO much for all the great ideas and considerations! I have to really dig into these reccomendations as this is really the first time I am dealing with this. Again, you all have been a boon to Lola and I!

Thanks again and God Bless!
-Walt

Cheers big ears!
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Old 07-28-2012, 07:52 AM   #26 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanium5 View Post
Hello everyone. First time poster and GSD owner!

Let me introduce myself, my name is Walt. My wife and I rescued our lovely Lola in March of this year from http://northwestgermanshepherd.org/.

We believe we found a great companion to our family (we have no kids and are previous dog owners) and that is still the case as she has bonded very well with my wife and I but I can really use an expert GSD owners opinion on some of the things that I have concerns about.

Lola is a 5 year old GSD of the "Czech" variety and was believed to be bred at this breeder http://vombanachk9.homestead.com/.

We've noticed a few things off the bat after the rescue.

She yelped in pain when jumping up into the back of our car (about 3/4 feet). An x-ray later by our vet said that there was some mild Hip Dysplasia and some narrowing of the discs in her lower back. No worries, we'll work around it. Nothing that exercise and some glucosamine should be able to help (at least for the hip). We just have to be mindful about her “lower” back.

We also noticed that she was prone to a lot of scratching and chewing. We believe that this is the result of allergies (and the vet also believes it). It could be a combination of environmental and potentially food.

Before I go any further, we have her on a 100% Raw diet consisting of 2 Vital Essentials turkey patties a day (http://www.vitalessentialsraw.com/html/Feast/products/FZTurkeyPP.html) and 2 cups of regular off the counter oatmeal. So 1 patty and 1 cup of oatmeal (prepared with warm water) twice a day.

We had her on dry dog food before but had some issues with her having diarrhea. From the research I’ve done, I understand that GSDs stomachs can be a bit sensitive so my wife and I have had her on this raw diet for the past 2 months now.

Things seemed to be going well until we noticed the uptick in her biting and chewing herself. She also has had really bad flakey (white) skin – some serious doggie dandruff! Note that she gets bathed with an oatmeal shampoo and rinsed very well at least once every 3 weeks or so (give or take a week).

Here is what her back right quarter looks like now

Note: the shortness of the hair on her legs, this is because she is chewing them down to almost just stubble. Maybe it's just me but it seems like her hair is getting a lot lighter (almost white) if you compare the pics from above to below.

Also she used to have an opaque somewhat string liquid coming from her female parts and has since turned to yellowish (indicating possible infection).

I will not post a picture because it’s graphic but if anyone wants, they can examine it and let me know what it may be at this link: https://zuttfg.blu.livefilestore.com/y1pVqfqLutP0Z1YiFk7fRqUH2bazEB2DKJUhx0Y5Wd93kLifsa pMNvaqDiWlbAtGgID5QMUqpMGUClron9Y10BvYTZqDjZFAxVH/WP_000294%20(2).jpg?psid=1
Note: when it was just opaque I asked the dog to check her for a urinary infection, he did the urine extraction right from the bladder and the results came back negative for any infection so I am thinking this is a female ‘tract’ issue.

She gets a moderate amount of exercise a day but mostly is an inside dog and her only companionship is myself, my wife and friends that come by. I hope none of this is psychosomatic as I’ve also read that when they are bored, they can do this to themselves – but to this extent?!

So far we’ve spent quite a bit of money at our local vet and things have gotten so bad that I am reaching out to you all and will see if anyone can recommend a Seattle / Bellevue vet that KNOWS GSDs. I would prefer a vet located on the east side since I live near Snoqualmie.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. We love her and want the best for her so please, if you have suggestions, I would really appreciate it!

-Walt
Have they scraped for mange or considered that - either the demodex or the sarcoptic - which doesn't show up so well but is itchy. There is a poster on here called middleofnowhere who had a similar situation with a dog and may be good to PM.

For some reason I can't see the pictures - have her anal glands and back end area been checked well?

Also, sometimes dogs will chew their hind quarters if they are experiencing pain - like in the hips.

There are allergy tests - I cannot remember which are typically thought of as more effective but you may want to check out: Home for that and the thyroid as well.

Thanks for adopting!
Old 07-28-2012, 08:03 PM   #27 (permalink)

Just another quick update. Lola went back to the vet today. Oh, the female problem (oozing from her vaggie) is in check and the antibiotics are helping. Vet said that her back part was a bit “recessed” and potentially prone to infection so we just have to make sure it’s really clean. Most likely it started when she had the runny stools.

My wife was getting really worried about her constant chewing so back to the vet she went. The vet gave her a shot of steroids to give her some relief. My wife was adamant that she needed instant relief.

Anyway, we asked the vet to do a skin scrape. They checked her for all types of topical issues (mites, fleas, mange, bacterial, fungal, etc.) but they all came back negative. They are also doing a blood test for thyroid issues (our golden had hypo thyroid and would exhibit itching when it wasn't in check), i.e. her levels needed to be adjusted. We will also be taking her to a doggie allergist to get the skin test in the next few weeks. I have bad allergies myself and have to get shots (for the past 5 years) once a month in order to help with the watery / itching eyes, runny nose, etc.). So hopefully we can see if 1) it's environmental and / or 2) food borne. Wish us luck and thanks again for the helpful suggestions.
Titanium5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2012, 12:37 AM   #28 (permalink)
Knighted Member

HI there Walt...

I can understand your wife wanting instant relief for your girl. The stress she's under also put strain on the adrenal's which are responsible for the production/release of hormones and including the body's natural Cortsol...this leads to adrenal burnout...further taxing immune system so for temp solution it's the right thing to do.

(a natural steroid'ish' is Licorice Root...some literature says "DGL" version.(some component removed to do w/blood pressure)......

anyhow...couple things now that she's on abti'B's AND had a steroid shot on top of an already compromised immune system...on top of hormonal release from stress your going to have to help her out a bit...

Definately give her a Probiotic but not w/abx...get a good quality from the refriderator, not shelf stable one....away from food away from meds.

Suggest a D-zyme w/pancreatin

a broad spectrum mult vit./min. mix, one that contains anti-oxident blend too, like a greens plus for dogs...this will help detox/strengthen...

At least these three...no 4 - KELP, not meds. and if not doing green mix... if it's functioning but sluggish...NOURISH...meds. will eventually lead to lazy thyroid and will loose it's function and will need meds. for life. Ashwaganda is a safe herb and indicated for thyroid/adrenals as well stimulates the immune system and is calming (for the stress, good for sep. anxiety),

Contact the Holistic vet sent by Mom's...even if too far, they could recommend, or consult w/your vet (hmmm???) or at least suggest qualities to look for in a holistic one and costs...you have a few weeks for the derm...research (I know you are overwhelmed)

Holistic offers hair sample testing for heavy metal/mineral toxicty...like aluminum, mercury, zinc oxide...Enviromental!!! conventional testing (scrapings) just signals a possitive result and calls it an allergy (which is fine for food testing) but doesn't determine a toxicity!...there are vitamins and things like apple pectin that bind toxins and remove from the body...give her apples - organic if keeping skins on...great treat! NO seeds they have traces of arsenic!

I think I had one more thing but it will come later.

Now I am not suggesting the herbs as a "you should do" and you don't want to jamb it all in her...so Consult w/an Integrative Vet DVM...I am only suggesting to show you there are usually options...Skin issues are a gold mine for steroid companies!

I do however suggest at least do the first two...d-zyme and probiotic you don't want to run the risk of another poop problem - loss of nutrients, body gets weeker.

Not sure about a good "doggie greens" but I'd stay away from soy.

Keep us in the loop...it's kinda like a journal of what you did for your dog and when!

G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.