German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Degenerative Myelopathy...treatments/medications/diet

9K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Rocky89 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I just joined today. I am the proud dad of a 11 year old husky named Rocky.

I decided to join this forum as DM is unfortunately a lot more common in the german shepherd breed.

I was wondering what the consensus is on the type of diet to help slow down or stop the progress of DM.

Also, are there any medications out there that could help as well? I know there is the stem cell surgery nowadays and i am very much looking into that.

Below is an article i was referred to by a stem cells vet who recommended this as a good read regarding DM:

Degenerative Myelopathy of German Shepherds

Looking forward to all your help! Thanks everyone.

#2 ·
Thanks for the link! This is not something I'm familiar with & I like to learn about things that can affect my animals.

The article states that DM is MS in dogs. It makes me wonder how many dogs that have DM are fed a diet with grains in it.

In humans, gluten/grains has been linked to MS, causing inflammation & auto immune problems.

#3 ·
#4 ·
I had a GSD with DM and I did switch her diet over to the grain free and did give her some dietary supplements. My vet told me that she probably wouldn't be walking within the next 6 months. So I started the new diet with the supplements and she walked for another year and it was about 1 1/2 years later that I had to put her down. I thought the diet/supplements gave her the 1 year extra to walk and have fun. :D

Sorry that your dog has been diagnosed with DM. Its a very hard disease to watch your dog go through. :(

#5 ·
Thanks Pattycakes, which supplements did you give her?

RebelGSD, that is great news!! What do you mean by donor stem cells? Was it not from your dog? his own stem cells? Also, I know that the stem cell procedure is not really a full-on surgery and can be done in a couple of hours, what do you mean when you say there was no surgery?

#6 ·
You may find help researching MS or seeing a human Naturopathic/Nutritional Doctor...the vet profession is scarce in this field...

A few things he (Clemmons) touches on is Cartilage - make homemade chicken stock (chicken contains type 11 collagen - huge for rebuilding the soft tissues damaged by compression of the discs)....here is a link on the whys and what is in bones that make them so important...will PM you the recipe to make the stock...It is more bioavailable to the body then suppliments like Gluc./Chond.

Another was B-Complex...That along with 1000mcg of B-12 in sublingual (under the tongue - you can get liquid form) methylcobalamin as opposed to cyano-version, as is more absorbable....this supports the myelin sheath that protects the nerve endings...

Addressing the "possible causes" enviromental (metal toxicity), Iatrogenic (vaccinosis - HW prevention), food intollerances (grains), along with the natural degeneration of wear and tear of aging...then address those things individually to bring the body back into balance.

Too many to list but you get the idea...also consider foods as detoxifying agents..e.g. Apples - for pectin, binds to and removes heavy metal deposits, Vit. C an antioxidant and heavy metal chelator and is required for over 300 metabolic functions in the body (you may want to look at theraputic IV doses of Vit. C these would be in the 10-20,000mg range ~ I don't have a link, but there are holistic vets that offer this, not sure if would apply in this instance however...

Here's the link about bone stock..but chicken is the main focus

The Healing Power of Bone Broth Transition Now

#7 ·
Personally, with DM, I would go research the stem cell therapy if my dog was healthy enough that it would significantly prolong his life WITH quality of life. I am a big believer in stem cell therapy and am excited about the prospects. If you read Riley's thread, it would appear this is a CURE and not just management.

#8 ·
Personally, with DM, I would go research the stem cell therapy if my dog was healthy enough that it would significantly prolong his life WITH quality of life. I am a big believer in stem cell therapy and am excited about the prospects. If you read Riley's thread, it would appear this is a CURE and not just management.
I've heard wonderful things too about it...I'm not sure about the donar part, I had read that fat cells were removed from host, sent to California and shipped back and applied to known affected areas...this was an article on HD however. Which surprises me that I haven't seen in HD threads as an alternative...supposed to be approx. same price.

I later learned my old Vet. from years ago (had two cats) is now doing this procedure and they have the equipment to do what ever it is that has to be done to isolate the cells w/o having to send to the US...so that is a plus!

However, like all procedures, if you don't address the root cause, then you are putting a band-aid on it! Health comes from within

#9 ·
For Riley they used bone marrow stem cells. Dogs with DM do not produce sufficient number of these on their own. The stem cells came from dogs that were euthanized at the shelter because of overpopulation. The stem cells were removed from the body several hours after the dog was euthanized.

#10 ·
Interesting, Rebel. For arthritis in horses, they use the horses own stem cells extracted from their fat. Same for HD in dogs.

So if DM dogs do not produce sufficient stem cells of their own, is that part of the root of the condition? Is that what the mutated gene is doing to their body?

#11 ·
Interesting, Rebel. For arthritis in horses, they use the horses own stem cells extracted from their fat. Same for HD in dogs.

So if DM dogs do not produce sufficient stem cells of their own, is that part of the root of the condition? Is that what the mutated gene is doing to their body?

Hmmmm...you may be on to something! Read a theory that something to do a defect of the DNA (a broken link)...What caused the defect in the first place?

#13 ·
Are the stem cells diseased? My understanding of stem cells is they are "neutral". If the stem cells were diseased, wouldn't more parts of the body be in failure? Or is the mutated gene responsible for the low production of stem cells which in turn affects the regeneration of new cells to sufficiently protect the spinal cord?

Don't you just hate it when my brain gets like this, Jean? :D

#14 ·
Thanks for the info GatorBytes, Ill def look into it...My main issue tho is that I am kind of losing hope in traditional medicine or home remedies as I am already giving rocky Greenies joint support in the morning and Liquid Health supplement in the afternoon and also added some tramadol and it doesnt seem to be helping. Since it is a nerves issue, it seems to be harder to treat via regular medicine/supplements.
I've read about the cough medicine helping in treating this disease as well, from someone on the other thread
Component of common cough medicine may help treat multiple sclerosis

Not sure how helpful that is.

I appreciate the discussion going on and all the feedback, it is very informative and I'm sure as a collective group together, we can find the best solution for this.

I also strongly support and believe in stem cells as the future of medicine in treating any and all diseases...We are lucky enough to be living in this day and age where such a treatment is available for our pets, I have strongly been looking at stem cell treatment for almost a year now and have been in contact with the main doctor in charge of stem cells at medivet america, I think its time to take the next step...Good to know about the stem cells from donors I think that sounds like a better approach for Rocky...

#16 ·
Hey....
Re: the link you posted

In tests using animal models, the drug, dextromethorphan, was found to significantly reduce the loss of the fatty sheath (or myelin) surrounding nerve fibers in the central nervous system and to minimize the development of paralysis during multiple sclerosis attacks.

THAT is what B-Complex AND additional B-12 is for (along w/supporting that with specific amino acids)...you don't want to put a drug into an already ill body... that taxes an already weak immune system..you have to provide the body what is natural to it with what iyt already uses to fight disease

You need medicinal doses, not what come is an over the counter dog treatish minimal suppliment for "healthy" dogs

There is no "one" thing that is going to help, this has to be addressed from many angles...food, suppliiments, physio/chiro, acupuncture, massage...as well what you can afford, and have time for

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.