Hip dysplasia - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2012, 01:00 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Hip dysplasia

Hi i have a purebred german shepherd named Zoey

and lately she hasnt been so confadent with her hips! When she is sitting down she doesnt just stand up like most dogs her chest has to pull her bum up.When she is sleeping ( she sleeps upside down with her feet up in the air) her back legs wont go back, the wont go under her bum and back, you might not think thats possible but my sister has a austrailion shepherd cross kelpie and it sleeps that way,btu it might just be because of the breed. When Zoey runs her back legs go up in the air together, ther dont spread apart. When she got her shots we got her some dog glucosamine ( im sorry i spelt it wrong) btu our vets didnt give much info they said it will help her be more confedant with her hips but they never said if she had hip dysplasia.
i hate thinking that my best friend ( Zoey) might have hip dysplasia, but if she does i will do EVERYTHING i can to help it!!
What really makes me sick is that she just turned a year old the 1st of June
thats young for hip problems .

So im just wondering if u guys could say your opinion do u think she has hip problems??do you know what could help?? do u have a happy hip story i could hear LOL ! thank you
Megan
meg-girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow your vet didn't do an examination or have an explanation for her troubles?

Do a search on this health forum for hip dysplasia, lots of good information here.

Ultimately, to diagnose your vet should do an exam and if HD is suspected X-rays to confirm.

If it is HD the sooner you start managing it the better.

Best to you and Zoey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meg-girl View Post
Hi i have a purebred german shepherd named Zoey

and lately she hasnt been so confadent with her hips! When she is sitting down she doesnt just stand up like most dogs her chest has to pull her bum up.When she is sleeping ( she sleeps upside down with her feet up in the air) her back legs wont go back, the wont go under her bum and back, you might not think thats possible but my sister has a austrailion shepherd cross kelpie and it sleeps that way,btu it might just be because of the breed. When Zoey runs her back legs go up in the air together, ther dont spread apart. When she got her shots we got her some dog glucosamine ( im sorry i spelt it wrong) btu our vets didnt give much info they said it will help her be more confedant with her hips but they never said if she had hip dysplasia.
i hate thinking that my best friend ( Zoey) might have hip dysplasia, but if she does i will do EVERYTHING i can to help it!!
What really makes me sick is that she just turned a year old the 1st of June
thats young for hip problems .

So im just wondering if u guys could say your opinion do u think she has hip problems??do you know what could help?? do u have a happy hip story i could hear LOL ! thank you
Megan
Old 06-09-2012, 01:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I'm having some trouble picturing the movements as you describe them, but in any event, the only way you can diagnose hip dysplasia is with an x-ray. Are you planning on getting her spayed? If so, you can ask the vet to do hip x-rays on her while she is under sedation, to help save you some money. Or just get her in for x-rays whenever, at one year old, you should be able to get a good idea if there is anything going wrong.

If you can't afford x-rays now, you can put her on joint supplements now. There are lots of different ones out there, and you may need to try a few before you find what works for your dog. It certainly won't hurt.

My female GSD mix was diagnosed with severe HD at about one year old (we had her x-rayed). She had a total hip replacement done, and now two years later you would hardly know she had any joint problems. She is on a couple different joint supplements, and we try to keep her lean and limit the amount of jumping she does. Other than that, she is unrestricted in the things she can do. HD is by no means a death sentence, it is a manageable condition and there is no reason why your dog can't live a happy and comfortable life with it.

Get those x-rays, and feel free to PM me with any questions you might have.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Our vet did not take any x rays btu did give us gluecosamine ( spelt it wrong again) Zoey was spayed at age 7 months but thanks
i am thinking im going to bring her to the vet soon because doesnt seem to want to even walk up the steps on our deck but i dont think that she cant, i think she thinks she cant ( sorry that was confusing).
im going to look in the HD forum for help thanks guys!!!
plz keep on answering lol i need allt the help i can get
Old 06-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You really need to get x-rays done to know exactly what shape those hips are in and which route to take. I highly recommend you get them done.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Let's see if I can link this for you Meg, if you click on the link below it should bring up topics from the health forum discussing Hip Dysplasia.

German Shepherd Dog Forums - Search Results
Old 06-09-2012, 01:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you for the link
my family owns a tack shop ( saddles and horse health stuff) and in our store we sell stuff called next level . I think im going to get her x rayed then put her on some of that
in the meantime does anyone know somesort of exercises that could help her hips?? i am never jumping her lol but some fun games that might work?
Old 06-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Walks are good. If she will swim, I have heard that is good too (mine won't go in water, lol). You can let her run off leash, just no on leash forced running. Let her tell you when she is tired out.

Keep her trim and not heavy. Extra weight is not good for joints.
Good_Karma is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2012, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

i agree, get xrays now, that is the only way to know for sure. also i would introduce a glucosomine/condrotin supplement into her daily diet as well (i can't spell either), i get my girls from springtime health and she loves them. (she does not have any issues, but i want her to be in tip top shape forever)
good luck and if you can get the xrays done, it is the sooner the better.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

yup im keeping her on gluecosamine ( horrible spelling)
and i do let her loose everyday thanks soooo much people
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.