Puppy has Pneumonia, your thoughts. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Puppy has Pneumonia, your thoughts.

Fortune: Just Adopted, Feedback welcome [Picture]

We just went to the vet and got diagnosed with Pneumonia. Fortune has really alert and showed no signs of being sick for the first 2 1/2 days however she started getting really congested, loosing appetite and thirst. It escalated over the weekend to where she was clearly in a very miserable state.

This morning I took her in and the vet said it was Pneumonia, possibly escalated to that from a small cold or kennel cough that went undetected at the shelter and during her initial shots and spay before she left.

Fortune ate about a 1/2of her food day before yest and yesterday about 1/3 of what I have been feeding and no water

The vet wanted to hospitalize her, and keep her on IV and monitored. I took the second option of a few different meds and some wet, canned dog food she recommended ( as it may be more appealing to her out of smell )

Hills canine critical care a/d canned food
Baytril (half pill dialy)
Pfizer Clavamox tablets (morning/night)

I chose this option and decided to mointor her for 1 -2 days and any sign of escalation to hospitalizer her, the bill was going to be 400$ a day. I of course will do what I need to for her health, but chose the home route just to see.

She went in this morning, after getting home I gave her half of the wet food and she went right for it, I gave her the other half (vet recommended half ) and she finished half of the second round, later finishing. She still is not drinking much.. a few licks here and there, bought some Gatorade ( im sure not recommended ) in hopes of the fluid being more appealing but that did not change anything.

The meds I had trouble with but got them down as well. It has been about 7 hours and I can tell the meds have cleared up her nose enough that she is not as miserable as she was, hoping the 2 doses tomorrow will further treat her well.

She also was willing to walk a few hours ago off leash, urinated and walked with me for about 10 minutes. Other than that she just sleeps.

I think she is a little constipated.

Any advice appreciated, specially about her drinking habit.
ctrl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

Gatorade has too much sodium.
Plain water - syringe it down her! Get the fluid down her. Plain water is fine, especially if she's eating. Just pull her cheek out a bit and use the syringe to fill her cheek and make sure she swallows.

If she can't get it down, ask about Sub cu fluids. You have got to get fluids down her or in her skin.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Gatorade has too much sodium.
Plain water - syringe it down her! Get the fluid down her. Plain water is fine, especially if she's eating. Just pull her cheek out a bit and use the syringe to fill her cheek and make sure she swallows.

If she can't get it down, ask about Sub cu fluids. You have got to get fluids down her or in her skin.
Thanks,

I figured that, specialy about the salt level, but I wanted to see if she would drink anything on her own.

I actually eyed a baby bottle at the drug store but the syringe suggestion is fantastic. I will go grab one here in a bit.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Get as big of one as you can find for oral hydration.
Did the vet not offer a bag of fluids for sub-cu rehydration? It's really ideal, especially in a dog not feeling great. It helps level out the fluid, so it's not like your dog has to digest it to get it in their system.

Another thought - if the dog likes the food you got, which I presume is i/d? Then mix it with water to get her to drink it. You can add a few tbs. to a cup of water (warm-ish so the meat disperses) and let her lap that.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

She did want her on IV if hospitalized but didnt offer any fluids there or to go.

The pharmacist at walgreens gave me a couple syringes like you have said and I just got done giving her the water.

She was a little annoyed but seemed to be glad she got it in her.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Definitely add water to the food.

Do not walk her for 10 minutes. She should be on a crate type rest but able to get up and move - just no playing, no physical activity.

Pneumonia Management read this really good article - I used it a lot when I had a foster puppy with bad pneumonia.

If she continues not to eat, she will probably need to stay at the vet a couple of days to get back on her feet. Still will need to be kept quiet - cannot say that enough. You may also want to ask if you can bring her in during the day and pick her up at normal closing time so that you can cut the bill and also monitor her yourself at night.

Keep puppy away from smoke, pollutants, chemicals - including cleaning types - that will make the lungs work harder and feel worse.

I would ask a vet before using a syringe type thing - I would be worrying that I could do some damage - and cause another type of pneumonia. I think adding water to some canned food will help get the fluids in, but she probably needs some IV fluids to prop her up, and would probably be a good idea to take her in tomorrow for those.

Thank you for taking care of her.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Sorry she is sick! Please be careful about syringing in the water. If you do it incorrectly you can cause aspiration pneumonia.

Jean (who posted before) has a lot of experience caring for a puppy with pneumonia. Her foster puppy Dylan came to her after his previous foster didn't keep him quiet enough and he had a terrible relapse.

I would take him in tomorrow to do the IV and see if you can take him home at night, like she suggested.

Sending many positive thoughts for your little one!

Rafi the malaroo
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/693238
Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
BowWowMeow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 10:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks,

The syringe drinking I will be careful of its 3 ML and I pushed it twice between a break.

The food is a/dŽ Canine/Feline Critical Care - Canned Its definitely pretty watery and moist, souffle like and she is eating it.

The link is great, I will try the percussion therapy as well as sit her outside the bathroom with a little steam going in the tub.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

This is why you use the pocket of the cheek. You syringe in some, and wait for the dog to swallow, it's not like squirting in the back of their throats.

Quote:
Please be careful about syringing in the water. If you do it incorrectly you can cause aspiration pneumonia.
It sounds like the OP has it under control -
Quote:
The syringe drinking I will be careful of its 3 ML and I pushed it twice between a break.
ctrl, ask the vet about the sub-cu fluids and if they'll show you how to do it yourself, at home. It's not difficult and is much better than loading the gut with things when the dog already doesn't feel good. But syringing is better than nothing - unless you can mix up water in the food and get enough in her that way.

The fluids will help loosen the mucous in her chest.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

BTW here is a tutorial for those who don't know how to, or aren't familiar with the process of using a syringe to fluids to a dog and think it'll choke.
You may be tilting it's head accidentally when it should be kept level. I've not had dogs choke when doing this.

Giving Oral Fluids to a Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.