ugh Stella...giardia and now puppy warts! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default ugh Stella...giardia and now puppy warts!

So after a wonderful bout with giardia, Stella has gotten puppy warts. Went to vet today and that is what it is. She has 3 lovely little growths. UGH. The vet said the best way to treat them is to pinch them off while under sedation. This is supposed to create an immune response and will stop any new ones from growing. I am not crazy about sedating Stella for wart removal. They don't seem to be bothering her at all and are small at this point. Anyone deal with warts? Is there any way to make them go away sooner rather than later? I told the vet I wanted to wait and see how it went. He said that was fine.
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Do they look like little black spikey looking things? I guess thats the best way to describe what Im thinking? If they are and they are tiny like little pin heads you can safely pinch them off yourself. The clean the area and put on neosporin. Although it depends on where they are. My girl had them on the tips of her ears (black round spikey things).. vet let the first one grown to the size of a large pencil eraser..our girl shook her head splitting it cauing a spray of blood everywhere and it not stopping. Ended up going into surgery to remove it. From then on anytime I saw them starting to pop up on her ears...tinier then pin heads I'd pinch them off and clean the area. Since them they have stopped coming. Occasionally one will look like its starting but I catch it earlier enough.

If its not what I described hopfully someone else will have better advice.
Diesel-GSD
Old 05-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

my dog just had this and my vet said to wait 6 weeks for them to go away by themselves and for her to get immune by leaving them alone. One got big and ugly but was gone at the end of 6 weeks also vet said if they didn't go away in 6 weeks then we would talk about removing them the 1 I thought was big, pencil eraser size I would not want to sedate my dog if not nessary
Midnight12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh they were kinda white
Midnight12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

yup...whitish. 2 are pencil eraser size. one is smaller. i am going to leave them alone for now. just hope they go away soon and don't get too much bigger.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Been there done that more times than I can count (used to be a vet assistant and now own a dog daycare). Usually we just let them go away on their own and they always have. I'm not sure if this is true for all, but when we've had clients who had them removed in some manner it almost seemed to make a bunch more crop up. Who knows if they would have anyway, but it was pretty obvious. There was 1 or maybe 2 removed and a few weeks later there were a half dozen in that same area. Luckily we haven't had a case around here (ours or client dogs) in a few years so guess everyone has had them who was going to.
We had one dog (client dog) who only ever had the one wart pop up. But it was right on his nose, he looked like that fake witch in Monty Python and the Holy Grail. He had it for weeks and weeks but the owners didn't want it messed with since it was the only one. It really cracked everyone up, and then suddenly one day it was gone and that was it, no more.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I see three at the moment. First noticed them about 4 or 5 days ago. How long will they continue to pop out? Or will the triplets be the only ones????
Old 08-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

My guy had the warts - found this article and followed the suggestion - crushing one of the warts seem to speed things up - only one left now - hope it helps.

Dog Health and Wellness - Puppy warts - oral papilloma - Pointer (German Short-Haired) - WalkDoggin.com
DogTastic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 05:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

Stella has been wart free for over a month now. She only had the 3. I didn't do anything other than give her an immune booster. They just went away on their own.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdog5911 View Post
Stella has been wart free for over a month now. She only had the 3. I didn't do anything other than give her an immune booster. They just went away on their own.
Hi Katdog,

What type of immune booster? My pup has had 2 of them for a couple of weeks now. I think they're a bit bigger. Been trying esterC, l-lysine and vitamin e. Any advice would be great. they look so tempting to cut off
jolieqe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.