German Shepherds Forum banner

What the heck is this thing on his chin?

11K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sunflowers 
#1 · (Edited)
Hans is 13 weeks old.

Two weeks ago, a red bump appeared on his chin, which at the time the vet said was puppy acne. Not really sure it was.

I do recall it appearing the day after he was sitting in a field of grass in Florida and all of a sudden he yelped for some reason. There were ants...maybe an ant bite. I don't know.
The redness is gone, but this remains. Looks to me as if the pigment is gone...:eek:will it come back?

Have any of you seen this type of thing before? Please let me know.
Second photo is included for cuteness reasons :) Thank you for any help you can provide.

#2 ·
That's a lot of cuteness! It's not all that uncommon for pups to have demodetic mange and many times they outgrow it, but some vets choose to treat it either topically or internally. If Hans continues to lose fur around the mouth or eyes then take him back, but if the vet said it's just puppy acne it probably is

#5 · (Edited)
Thank you for your replies.

I did ask the vet about mange and was almost laughed at.:paranoid:

It was red and inflamed, now it is no longer, but the spot has remained lighter in color and you are right, hair loss, I hadn't realized that! :eek:
It does not itch, nor does it seem to bother him.

When it was red I quickly ordered and used
Duoxo pads.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Douxo-Chlorhexidine-3-Pads-Count/dp/B002LO0MGU[/ame]

Those took care of the redness, but this remains. I have stopped using them, because I don't want to overdo anything on his skin, and the spot has not gotten any bigger.

Would you leave it alone, or continue the Duoxo?

Anyone know if the pigment will return?
Here is a closer look:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.