GSD with cut Eyelid - Gunk, Swelling, Redness.... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2012, 08:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default GSD with cut Eyelid - Gunk, Swelling, Redness....

So I'm hanging out with my friend while she's housesitting. Earlier today, they took Duke, their GSD, to play with the other dogs at her house. He has a cut right next to his eye and it's got a lot of puss and it's swollen and red. The bottom eyelid looks like it's hanging down a bit (more than it should). If I had my camera on me, I would take a picture, but I can't.

It's on his right eye. It's hard to explain, but it's on the outside corner of his eye, and it's cut.

Unfortunately, vet isn't really an option until Monday, when his owners get back. (She's related to the homeowner, which is why he was taken to her house).

Long story short, until he can get to a vet, what could we do? I don't know if anything would be safe to put in the eye, or anything at least for pain relief.... I know eye issues usually call for immediate vet care, but that isn't an option, like I said....

ANY advice would be GREATLY appreciated. It's obviously causing him pain and discomfort.
-Fastest 2012/2013 U-FLI Pomeranian

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Konotashi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Can she call the homeowner and get funds through a credit card to take the dog to the vet?
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 08:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

I've used petroleum jelly on small cuts for my dogs before. Don't know if that would help...or if it would be safe around the eye?????????

Good luck and I hope somebody with more knowledge will be able to help you out.
jetscarbie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It's 4 a.m. here right now, but she's going to give them a call tomorrow....

"In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."
Old 04-14-2012, 08:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Been reading - a lot of sites say to flush the eye out with saline and put antibiotic eye ointment on the eye. Would you guys suggest doing that? I definitely don't want to do anything to worsen his eye, but want to do what we can until he can see a vet.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

There are vets open on Saturdays.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

The eye is a sensitive area, I would not use anything but warm water just to clean the gunk away. Even putting things around the eye can be dangerous (close proximity).

Usually any issue involving the eye should be seen by a doctor ASAP.

Until we meet again . . .
Bear(rescue)-GSD, my soul mate.
Kai-(rescue)GSD, my forever baby.
Kobie-Pomeranian, my tiniest dog with the biggest heart.
shannonrae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This dog needs a vet now. It sucks that it's a weekend and you will need an emergency vet. Call the owner if you can to get permission but if you can't get a hold of them, most people would want their dog seen.

All you can do would be to very carefully clean it out with water. Unless you have antibiotics specifically for the eye, you can't use it.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I brought a camera tonight.... His eye is worse today. I hate that I can't do anything other than push for a vet, but that's not going to happen until Monday at the earliest.... This is frustrating. They didn't leave any credit cards or anything really for any possible emergencies, I don't even know if my friend told them about his eye at all.... I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here, and I know that if he isn't seen ASAP, his eye could get infected and cause a host of other issues. UGH. If it was me housesitting/babysitting, I would have probably just taken him in. It's hard watching him, because it's obviously bothering/hurting him. He keeps trying to paw at it and blinks that eye a lot. This SUCKS for me, and it sucks even worse for Duke. UGHGHGHGHGH!!!

It looks like it's getting infected where the cut is.... But I don't know if it's infection or eye gunk, but it looks like puss.... I don't know of ANYTHING that would be safe to put on/near his eye.

For comparison, this was his eye before. You can see in the above pic how his lower eyelid is hanging....

Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

In this day and age the owners are absolutely incommunicado? No phone, no phone at a hotel, etc? All they need to do is call a credit card into wherever you take him. That is it. This is his eye, he's in pain and agitated. Yesterday there were probably regular vet offices open, today, most likely, only e-vets. Or find a way to cover it with your own funds/funds of friends, etc (you on Facebook? people on FB give money to people all the time - they can just call in payments to the evet) and get him seen today.

You are not going to get any helpful advice here other than to get him to a vet today.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.