biting & itching back and tail area - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2012, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default biting & itching back and tail area

My 2 year old male started biting and itching his back and tail area last week after I took him swimming. I ended up taking him to the e-vet and they said he was allergic to flea bites but that he didn't have any fleas on him at the time. They gave him a steroid shot and that stopped the biting and itching. I can tell the shot is wearing off because his appetite is returning to normal but this morning I saw him biting his tail area again. He is on heartworm medicine and I give the advantix monthly. Any ideas on what else could cause this? I'll take him back to the vet but was wondering what else it could be.
kbella999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

My 16 mos old female had the same problem. I was giving her Frontline Plus and heartworm medicine and my vet decided she may have an allergic reaction to the topical application so he changed her to Trifexis. It's a heartworm, Flea and intestinal worm medication all in one pill. She stopped scratching and biting within a few days.
glg46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Are there any signs of infection near his tail or peri-anal area?
What are his diet and stools like? Do you think he could have full anal glands? Could they be infected?
Did they do a blood and stool test to see if he possibly picked up something from swimming in the lake?
Try a topical hydrocortisone local spray on his tail. I found one at the feed store. It could stop the itching without you needing to resort to a systemic steroid.
qbchottu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

A single flea bite can make an allergic dog itch for weeks, so you don't need to find fleas to make the diagnosis, usually it is based on history and symptoms. Penny has flea bite allergy and she was a mess before while on advantix and frontline- the vet changed her to comfortis and it has worked wonders!

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

www.swingsetsbydesign.com
natalie559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 10:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

There were no signs of infection around the tail or anal area. His stomach looked good also. He had some sores on his back where he had been biting. They didn't do a blood test but I will have my regular vet do one. I'll look for a spray. Thanks.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Knighted Member

What made the vet say it was a flee bite? I mean that sounds silly.. if he saw it ok, but if he assumed it then it might not be the case. Could it possibley be allergies to something in the water or environmnet? I had a dog that needed benedryl every day for seasonal allergies. He also might have develeoped a food allergy.

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan-15 Jan 2010
wyoung2153 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 12:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

He said that was a common area for fleas to hang out at and bite. When I took him in, I told them it started after being in the water and that he had drank a lot of that pond water and I thought he might have caught some bad bug from that. I haven't seen any fleas or flea dirt on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoung2153 View Post
What made the vet say it was a flee bite? I mean that sounds silly.. if he saw it ok, but if he assumed it then it might not be the case. Could it possibley be allergies to something in the water or environmnet? I had a dog that needed benedryl every day for seasonal allergies. He also might have develeoped a food allergy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.