Help! open sore on anus- vet said not perianal fistulas or anal glands - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Exclamation Help! open sore on anus- vet said not perianal fistulas or anal glands

Hi all - I know there are a lot of threads regarding similar topics to this however our 4 yr old GSD has been to our vet and the veterinary ER in the last 2 weeks where both said his issue is not perianal fistulas or a problem with his anal glands.

I've posted a picutre of our current issue below - open sore at 5 o'clock on the right -this open sore was NOT present sunday 3/25 when we brought him to the vet ER instead this area was severly inflamed but not open. Also after this picture was taken I went to gently clean up the area with a baby wipe and on the LEFT side white puss leaked out of a pin hole size at 7 o'clock

I would really appreciate any suggestions/ opinions - i have no problem bringing him back to the ER and I've already left a message with our vet (who isn't in until Tuesday)

BACKGROUND:
He's had food allergies all his life (gets injections monthly from us) and is on a hypoallergenic diet.
- Oct 2011 we noticed he had that anal glands smell and chronic loose stool.
- Dec 2011 there was blood and mucous in his stool and he was straining. He was on cyclosporine for 3 months but his stool never improved. Our vet ruled out perianal fistulas and has diagnosed him with Crohns Disease/Colitis.
- March 2012 After stopping the cyclosporine he had acute diarreah and alot of blood. We put him on a bland diet and he was put on prednisone and metronidazole (flagyl). This worked amazing - within 2 days his stool was firm there was no blood and no smell. After a week on the Metronidazole our vet left him on just a maintenance dose of prednisone and his stool became loose and bloody and he was still straining and trying to go up in up to 6 different spots

I would really appreciate any insight into what this might be and if there are any solutions to help make that area less sensitive and more comfortable for him (he keeps trying to lick back there- he hasn't tried to scoot recently)

Thanks so much - K

)
I_Love_Kinz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Hi, welcome to the board. I am not sure what I am looking at/seeing. I can tell you that my female GSD has a weird "alien" that we once had removed - it was a furunculosis/boil/fistula type thing but it didn't have the draining lines and it was not in the right location. I use Desitin when it comes back. She also gets one below her nose/above her lip.

I wonder if your dog could have SIBO/ARD Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency has some good information on it. Or even the EPI part...

My girl had the B deficiency part which was causing loose stools and now gets a monthly B shot with bouncy poop. Fasting test through Texas A/M GI Lab.

A regular fecal to check for giardia, coccidia, etc, has been done right?

Just tossing some thoughts out before I log out. I am sure others will be along as well.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a dog(non GSD) that had something similar to this. Hers was at the 3 oclock position and it was an abscessed anal gland. She had to have a procedure to drain it, etc. I was not allowed to put anything on it, so be very careful what you put on it no matter what it is. The way it was explained to me was that her poop wasn't firm enough(she had some straining too prior to this) to express anal glands causing the problem. The vet also told me that this was the first case he seen like this with a bigger dog--it is not common. Good Luck
Midnite-German Shepherd CGC, TC
Brennan- Golden Retriever CGC
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
llombardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 12:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

sorry but that IS a fistula and open hole like that is called a fistula..

Did the vet give you any antibiotics? Say 'why' he has an enflamed butt area?

I can say what the red 'thing' is right by his anus, but those holes are fistula's.

Fistula's can develop for a variety of reasons, infected anal glands, the gland 'stuff' backs up, has no where to go, so tracks begin/expand and push the fluid out. Blown anal glands will also produce fistulas.

Alot of PF dogs have other issues, allergies/ibd / sibo.

I see your in MA, are you near Angell Memorial?

If my dog, this is what I would do,,shave up the area, take him to someone who is 'savvy' in fistula's. Keep the area clean, pack some Desitin into those fistula's.

He DOES need to see a vet tho, they should have him on an antibiotic, they should shave up the area, go from there..

I'd take him to Angell to..
You can also look here
perianal-fistulas

There should be a section with vet's names in your area that deal with fistula's.

Been there done that with TWO dogs..My vet who's become fistula savvy from my own dogs is Chris Ficke at Chester Vet/ Chester CT..

Definitely back to the vet

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yep, this IS a fistula. This was my first thought, but linked your thread to the PF list for confirmation. Go join, it's here: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/PF-L/messages

Join the PF list and they will help you through all the things that your vet doesn't know. If you don't have a vet that you can bring info to and will listen, then you will need to find a new vet. There is a treatment, a remission is possible, but not with a vet that doesn't have a clue!

Best of luck!!

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you all so much for your replies

I put desitin on the affected area and joined the PF yahoo group

Currently he is on California Naturals Lamb & Rice - I think we will be switching him to a Fish & Sweet potato food

We live 45 mins south of Boston - I am definitely going to look for a vet that specializes in PF

He has the most adorable floppy ear!
I_Love_Kinz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

There is a recall on that dog food right now.

ATLANTA (AP) — Diamond Pet Foods is voluntarily recalling its Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice dry dog food because it may be contaminated with salmonella.

A statement from the company Friday said no illnesses have been reported and no other Diamond products are affected.

Pets that eat the food or people who handle it could become infected with salmonella. Healthy people infected with salmonella should watch for the following symptoms: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or bloody diarrhea, abdominal cramping and fever.

Pets with salmonella may have decreased appetite fever and abdominal pain.

The product was distributed to customers in 12 states: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia. It is possible those customers may have distributed it to other states.

Customers who have purchased the following Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice products should stop feeding it to their pets and discard it:

— 6-pound bag with the production code DLR0101D3XALW and best before Jan. 4, 2013;

— 20-pound bag with the production code DLR0101C31XAG and best before Jan. 3, 2013;

— 40-pound bag with the production code DLR0101C31XMF and best before Jan. 3, 2013;

— 40-pound bag with the production code DLR0101C31XAG and best before Jan. 3, 2013;
— 40-pound bag with the production code DLR0101D32XMS and best before Jan. 4, 2013.
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't think Diamonds and California Lamb and Rice are the same foods(made by the same company)
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
I don't think Diamonds and California Lamb and Rice are the same foods
OMG OMG...I am so sorry, your right.

I feel so bad causing more stress to the OP. Thank you for catching that!
Courtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
OMG OMG...I am so sorry, your right.

I feel so bad causing more stress to the OP. Thank you for catching that!
No problem, I seen it, thought about it, and then I went into freak out mode for the OP
Batman- Husky/Greyhound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.