Raising back left leg slightly off the ground..worried - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Raising back left leg slightly off the ground..worried

Hey guys, I noticed my 10month GSD is lifting his back left leg slightly off the ground. Hes not in any pain and always is happy to run with all legs. Just went hes still he will raise it up a little.

It happened 2 days ago, iv felt both legs to compare and put a small amount of pressure along the leg, he doesnt cry or whelp or anything. Hes on orijen puppy (large breed).
He basically was running up and down the garden with me and played fetch that day, but didnt fall or anything.

I will take a picture if possible, but should i crate him? Should I go to the vet asap?
Amrit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Could be pano or ligament. I would rest and if no change go to the vet for a proper evaluation.

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

www.swingsetsbydesign.com
natalie559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie559 View Post
Could be pano or ligament. I would rest and if no change go to the vet for a proper evaluation.
Just went to vet. She said its not a broken bone. She managed to locate it to the knee. She gave me rirmadyl and said if it doesnt improve in a couple of days come back for xray.

Is rirmadyl safe? Im going to feed him in 1.5 hours so need to give it then so would really appriciate if someone knew of any bad reactions with GSD and rirmadyl, doing some googling myself but obviously best to hear it from you lot who i trust more.

Thanks and appriciate any help.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amrit View Post
Just went to vet. She said its not a broken bone. She managed to locate it to the knee. She gave me rirmadyl and said if it doesnt improve in a couple of days come back for xray.

Is rirmadyl safe? Im going to feed him in 1.5 hours so need to give it then so would really appriciate if someone knew of any bad reactions with GSD and rirmadyl, doing some googling myself but obviously best to hear it from you lot who i trust more.

Thanks and appriciate any help.
While no drug is 100% safe, Rimadyl has a long track record and gets used a lot. Physiologically it's similar to tylenol or Advil for humans. Most adverse reactions that do occur, are liver, kidney, or stomach damage due to long-term use. Your first time giving your dog Rimadyl is about as risky as your first time taking Tylenol. Something bad could happen, but most likely not.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I was worried it might be the knee Ligaments in a dogs knee rarely heal themselves as there is not enough blood supply. Usually what happens is either scar tissue forms to support the joint or the dog has surgery to alter the knee mechanics with metal plates, or the surgery stabilizes the knee so that scar tissue can form.

I think starting with conservative management is a good approach but will take more than a few days if it is in fact his knee ligament. Did the vet do a 'drawer test'? If this test is positive it is usually the ligament vs muscle strain/sprain. Rest rest rest, no running no jumping- give time then reevaluate. Lots of info out there on CM of knee ligaments.

Let us know how it goes!

enjoying life with Penny 6/04 & Blaze 11/12
while Sasha watches over us

www.swingsetsbydesign.com
natalie559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie559 View Post
I was worried it might be the knee Ligaments in a dogs knee rarely heal themselves as there is not enough blood supply. Usually what happens is either scar tissue forms to support the joint or the dog has surgery to alter the knee mechanics with metal plates, or the surgery stabilizes the knee so that scar tissue can form.

I think starting with conservative management is a good approach but will take more than a few days if it is in fact his knee ligament. Did the vet do a 'drawer test'? If this test is positive it is usually the ligament vs muscle strain/sprain. Rest rest rest, no running no jumping- give time then reevaluate. Lots of info out there on CM of knee ligaments.

Let us know how it goes!
I think she did do the drawer test, but she said that Jagers bit too tense so she was bit unsure. She said its definatley not a broken bone. His hips were excellent looking at them.
She then said she will give a NSAID and said if he doesnt improve please come back and we will do xray. She gave the leg a good examine, from what i could see.
I have given him the NSAID at around 7pm GMT its 9:34GMT now. Hes fine, hasnt thrown up and have noticed (unless im being too optimistic) that he isnt raising it as much. Im so hoping he hasnt broken his ligament, i dont wanna see him have surgery. The problem I have is that whenever I come to his area he will run about wanting to be next to me, whih ofcourse I love him for but I want him to relax, so I think I have to send my sisters to look after him just so hes relaed and not on his feet.

Anyone know if it was just a pulled ligament when I should expect a significant improvment with the NSAIDS? She only gave a few tablets (4 to 6 i think) Is that long enough?
Ahhh im going mental worrying
Old 04-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just to keep everyone updated, jagers seems to be better. Hes not got worse, but still not fully recovered although today i see him resting alot better on the affected leg.
Been such a heartbreaking time not letting him be free like he normally is. The foxes outside are taking over his yard haha so he saves his wee to distribute around which i dont mind at the moment since hes been locked up for ages in his area. I try to spend as much time as I can in the area with him but hes got such a drive that he wont stay still and then I have no choice but to leave him by himself since thats the only way he will chill out and lay down. TOUGH LOVE!

Looking to buy a deep enough pool for him so he can swim for the next few months instead of run about. Much less pivot action on the knee but still will be making muscle.

Can dogs swim straight away lol? Can he be left along in a not too deep pool but enough to just slightly larger than his height so he is floating above the floor?
Old 04-09-2012, 04:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J

Hope it's not a torn CCL. Just went through two surgeries on Lilly for that.

These pools may be what you are looking for. I have one that is 15ft x 36 inches. As you can see, they come in multiple depths.
They are sometimes available much cheaper at Walmart, Target, and Big Lots.

Amazon.com: 12 x 30 Intex Metal Frame Pool: Toys & Games Amazon.com: 12 x 30 Intex Metal Frame Pool: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: INTEX 15' x 42" Metal Frame Swimming Pool Set - 56948EB: Toys & Games Amazon.com: INTEX 15' x 42" Metal Frame Swimming Pool Set - 56948EB: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: Intex Metal Frame Pool Set 13' x 39": Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Intex Metal Frame Pool Set 13' x 39": Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Intex Round Metal Frame Swimming Pool - 16 Feet x 48 Inches - 1000gph Filter: Sports & Outdoors Amazon.com: Intex Round Metal Frame Swimming Pool - 16 Feet x 48 Inches - 1000gph Filter: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Intex 15-Foot by 48-Inch Family Size Round Metal Frame Pool Set: Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com: Intex 15-Foot by 48-Inch Family Size Round Metal Frame Pool Set: Patio, Lawn & Garden

LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
M&J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
Hope it's not a torn CCL. Just went through two surgeries on Lilly for that.

These pools may be what you are looking for. I have one that is 15ft x 36 inches. As you can see, they come in multiple depths.
They are sometimes available much cheaper at Walmart, Target, and Big Lots.

Amazon.com: 12 x 30 Intex Metal Frame Pool: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: INTEX 15' x 42" Metal Frame Swimming Pool Set - 56948EB: Toys & Games

Amazon.com: Intex Metal Frame Pool Set 13' x 39": Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Intex Round Metal Frame Swimming Pool - 16 Feet x 48 Inches - 1000gph Filter: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Intex 15-Foot by 48-Inch Family Size Round Metal Frame Pool Set: Patio, Lawn & Garden
Was lilly in pain when it happened? What symptoms did she have before xrays etc?
From a human doctor I was told a crucialte ligament damage you wouldnt be able to walk at all on the leg and would be in a significant amount of pain.

Im guessing since jagers about 70cm tall he needs a meter minimum in water to float about right?
Old 04-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
M&J
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to M&J

She wasn't in pain when her knee was manipulated. When she had a partial tear, she would limp. When she sat she put that leg out straight, would sometimes go out in the yard and sit against the fence--which was weird.

When it became a full blown tear she would not use the leg at all. She would let me manipulate the leg etc with no reaction.

Not sure what to tell you about the depth of the pool. If you get the deeper one you are going to have to come up with some sort of ramp or steps to get your pooch in and out. My dogs can touch the ground if need be, but I hold them so they swim. They don't like the water.

PS. Regarding the knee ligament---it was explained to me as a fraying rope. The tears won't repair themselves, but scar tissue will form. When Lilly had the partial tear I knew it would eventually tear so I did not restrict her. Within a few weeks it went to a full tear and she had surgery.
I didn't bother with conservative management either time she tore her CCL. We went straight to surgery for both knees. She had an extracapsular traditional surgery each time.

LILLY and RUDY
In Memory of MADISON, The King 12/89-6/04
In Memory of JAKE, The Perfect Dog 9/01-11/02
M&J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.