New to EPI advice needed - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 06:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New to EPI advice needed

My 7 year old male Oscar has just been diagnosed with EPI, i have bought the enzymes and the new dry food required but need advice on the dose of the enzymes i should be given him, the enzymes bought are TRYPLASE 500mg the dosage states the contents of 2 -5 capsules per day which is enough to digest 500g of dog food however I am given Oscar 300g 3 times a day so should i be given him 3 capsules every time he has his food? also he still seems to be having lose stools he has been on the enzymes for 3 days now is this okay or should they be getting back to how they use to be before he got EPI. Over all since he has started the enzymes he seems a lot happier within himself and getting back to how he used to be.
Any advice would be much appreciated
regards
Aaron
aaron 1087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Welcome to the board!

Overview - EPI * Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency also has a forum and they are all about EPI. I joined there when I had a foster who was diagnosed with EPI.

I would also ask your vet the specific questions, but in general, every time the dog eats, they need their enzymes.

Did they happen to check to see if he may also have SIBO/ARD at the same time? My foster needed a month of Tylan before he had bouncing stools. He's doing really well in his home now on the enzymes.

Glad that Oscar is feeling better!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Also, be aware - the capsules don't usually work nearly as well for many dogs as the powder does on the actual food.

Check out enzyme diane (google). Much better pricing, fast shipping; a lot of us have used her for years. My GSD was DX'd with EPI when she was 3 yrs, and a couple months old. It hit hard and fast. I only used the vet enzymes for a short time until I found out about enzyme diane and have used her ever since. My girl is 8 1/2 yrs old now.
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hi Aaron,
Where are you located, in the UK? I believe Tryplase is used there. K9EPIGLOBAL has quite a few Europeans as members that could help you out with the dosage.
k9-EPIGLOBAL : Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency Dogs
It has been used by quite a few of the members.
Jan
jan630 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
I am given Oscar 300g 3 times a day so should i be given him 3 capsules every time he has his food?
I don't use the capsules, we use the Viokase powder but Oscar will need the enzymes with every meal and I even put enzymes in Nikki's treats.

Please join the two groups that were recommended, lots of good info. I am sorry that Oscar has EPI and hope that he responds to treatment real soon

Heidi Mouse 02/10/1995 - 02/21/2009
Heidigsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a 3 year old GSD with EPI, we used to use Tryplase but have switched to Chemeyes now, could never get hold of the Tryplase capsules and they were really expensive. Also switched to buying in pots of powder instead of capules which is much easier to administer, I can pass their details on if you like but I think their website is www.chemeyes.co.uk
dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron 1087 View Post
My 7 year old male Oscar has just been diagnosed with EPI, i have bought the enzymes and the new dry food required but need advice on the dose of the enzymes i should be given him, the enzymes bought are TRYPLASE 500mg the dosage states the contents of 2 -5 capsules per day which is enough to digest 500g of dog food however I am given Oscar 300g 3 times a day so should i be given him 3 capsules every time he has his food? also he still seems to be having lose stools he has been on the enzymes for 3 days now is this okay or should they be getting back to how they use to be before he got EPI. Over all since he has started the enzymes he seems a lot happier within himself and getting back to how he used to be.
Any advice would be much appreciated
regards
Aaron
Hi Aaron, you need to have enough enzymes to digest each meal so base it on how much weight each meal is, the amount of enzyme in the powder will make a difference too, the chemeyes stuff we use is stronger than Tryplase I think so we don't need to use so much which makes it cheaper aswell
dizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.