Common health issues in the GSD breed? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2012, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Skype™ to Jessiewessie99
Default Common health issues in the GSD breed?

I am just curious what sort of health issues are VERY common in the GSD breed? I am thinking of things such as cancer, epilepsy, and DM. I am just curious how common are these things in the breed? Like how high are GSDs on the list to get cancer? Same for epilepsy and DM?

Also, Dwarfism? Has any breeder here have had the issue within their line? Or your dogs? Is Dwarfism common in GSDs? I know I have heard of Dwarf GSDs, such as from this site: Shawlein Fine Art & Purebred German Shepherd Dogs

Don't worry none of my dogs have cancer or anything bad. I am just curious. As someone who wants to get more involved and learn more I was just curious in the health side. Plus I think it would be good for anyone looking into the breed.

Thanks in advance!

Molly-GSD ✔ Certified Ninja Dog
Tanner-GSD ✔ Certified Lovebug
RIP:
Max & Simba
"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible."-George Chakiris, as said by Agent Derek Mogan
Jessiewessie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I just saw the title, and my first thought was, that's a pretty long list. I don't read this forum much any more, but I'll throw in my first thoughts...

Yes, cancer - search for hemangio on this forum, you'll see. Also lymphoma, various others including anal sac, osteosarcoma, and various others

A zillion digestive disorders, which then creates other problems

Immune deficiency (IgA), contributing to a tendency for infection, including fungal and chronic tick diseases

Pannus of the eye, boith types

Heart issues (may be less then the others in this list)

Back issues

DM

Hypothyroidism

Perianal fistulas

....Those are the ones I thought of in the first 30 seconds, I'm sure there are more...

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2012, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

This is a little outdated but:
Most important
These disorders are relatively common in this breed, and where possible, efforts are being made to eradicate them. Ask your breeder about these conditions in his or her dogs. These disorders seriously affect the health of your pet and may require medical or surgical intervention.

Degenerative myelopathy
Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency
Hemophilia
Hip dysplasia
Nodular dermatofibrosis
Pannus
Panosteitis
Perianal fistula
Other disorders which have an increased incidence in this breed
These disorders occur less commonly or are less devastating than those mentioned above.
Acral lick dermatitis
Aortic stenosis
Cataracts
Cervical vertebral instability (wobbler syndrome)
Cleft lip/palate
Corneal dystrophy
Cutaneous asthenia
Demodicosis
Dermatomyositis
Dermoids
Elbow dysplasia
Epilepsy
Familial vasculopathy
Footpad disorder
German shepherd pyoderma (seen more commonly in dogs bred from European lines)
Glycogen storage disease type III
Hemivertebra
Hyperadrenocorticism
Hypertrophic osteodystrophy
Lupus erythematosus
Masticatory myositis
Megaesophagus
Mitral valve disease
Myasthenia gravis
Optic nerve hypoplasia
Patent ductus arteriosus
Pemphigus erythematosus
Persistent right aortic arch (vascular ring anomaly)
Progressive retinal atrophy
Retinal dysplasia
Seborrhea
Selective IgA deficiency
Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth
Tricuspid dysplasia
Vertebral stenosis (lumbosacral)
von Willebrand's disease
Disorders associated with conformation
These disorders are directly related to the conformation or standards for the breed. Although these conditions have in many cases become so common that they are accepted as normal for the breed, they can still cause serious physical problems and discomfort for the dog. One component of responsible breeding is to breed away from the extremes of conformation that cause these physical problems.
none documented in this category.
Other disorders which may be inherited in this breed
These disorders have been reported sporadically, and may be inherited in this breed.
Cerebellar abiotrophy
Deafness
Gastric dilatation-volvulus
Lymphoedema
Pulmonic stenosis
Sebaceous adenitis
Vitiligo
germanshepherd

Compare to Schipperke:

Most important
These disorders are relatively common in this breed, and where possible, efforts are being made to eradicate them. Ask your breeder about these conditions in his or her dogs. These disorders seriously affect the health of your pet and may require medical or surgical intervention.
Other disorders which have an increased incidence in this breed These disorders occur less commonly or are less devastating than those mentioned above.
Black hair follicular dysplasia
Color mutant alopecia (blue schipperke)
Diabetes mellitus
Pemphigus foliaceus
Disorders associated with conformation
These disorders are directly related to the conformation or standards for the breed. Although these conditions have in many cases become so common that they are accepted as normal for the breed, they can still cause serious physical problems and discomfort for the dog. One component of responsible breeding is to breed away from the extremes of conformation that cause these physical problems.
Other disorders which may be inherited in this breed
These disorders have been reported sporadically, and may be inherited in this breed.
Cataracts
Progressive retinal atrophy

Old 03-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jean's lists, and other's like it will be more definitve, as they are taken over all gSDs somehow. My list is just anecdotal from being on the forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post

Yes, cancer - search for hemangio on this forum, you'll see. Also lymphoma, various others including anal sac, osteosarcoma, and various others

A zillion digestive disorders, which then creates other problems

Immune deficiency (IgA), contributing to a tendency for infection, including fungal and chronic tick diseases

Pannus of the eye, boith types

Heart issues (may be less then the others in this list)

Back issues

DM

Hypothyroidism

Perianal fistulas

....Those are the ones I thought of in the first 30 seconds, I'm sure there are more...
Forgot to type: tendency towards several autoimmune and inflammatory conditions, or just plain inappropriate inflammation that may be localized.

=====

Worst thing, multiple issues can occur in the same dog. My boy had about 8 of them.

A local breeder/trainer says she's had GSDs for 25 yrs with no major health problems. Envious. I don't think that's the norm.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Yahoo to Jessiewessie99 Send a message via Skype™ to Jessiewessie99

Would you guys say that the unhealthy GSDs outnumber the healthy GSDs? Or are the unhealthy ones just talked about more?

Molly-GSD ✔ Certified Ninja Dog
Tanner-GSD ✔ Certified Lovebug
RIP:
Max & Simba
"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible."-George Chakiris, as said by Agent Derek Mogan
Jessiewessie99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.