Just ate gauze wrap - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Kev

Default Just ate gauze wrap

Ahh maybe I'm being paranoid but my puppy just ate his gauze wrap and thankfully not the sticky yellow bandage. He just got his tooth extracted cause it broke off and exposed the pulp. Here's some info: His last meal before the surgery was yesterday night and he pooped, came home this afternoon and let him twinkle a little bit of pee and pooped normally. After that he got the gauze off his leg and ate it. It was time for his water and meal so I gave him the normal with his meds and just now he pee'd and pooped two small strands that were solid and dark No sign of the gauze wrap so far. Anyone have experience with puppies that ate gauze wrap?
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I have had puppies eat stuff-not guaze wrap but other things like bed stuffing, socks, etc. Most times it passess without an issue but sometimes you can get in real trouble and this kind of thing has serious potential to cause trouble. I would monitor him like a hawk. Even make him sleep in your room tonight and set the alarm for halfway through to check on him. How old is he?

Have your ER vet number and directions on hand so it is not a stressor if you do get problems and can fly out the door. Look for any unusal lethargy, vomiting, and abnormal or lack of pooping. When you say two small dark strands......did his poop look normal for him? How is he acting?

Not knowing his size, I would be inclined to call your vet and ask for feeding directions - sometimes they want you to give pumpkin or bread to help move things along.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Gauze scares me, along with dental floss and the like. Thank God none of ours is a chronic eater of non-food things although they rip things up occasionally.
Gauze could wrap around something and strangulate intestine quickly.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

Was it just the bandaid from the IV. If so..was it just a small piece? Like a couple inches? If so..,in my opinion, this too shall pass...but do kesp an eye out for bowel movements and vomiting.
TaZoR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Yeah.....I would watch him closely too......I don't like gauze either.....a dose of paraffin oil wouldn't hurt.....gauze is funny stuff and like msvette2u said it can get wrapped around things on the way out....how much of it did he eat??
sparra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Kev

Ok guys right now i have goodnews and bad news. Good news is that my puppy just pooped solid, bad news is it's very little maybe like 3 small strands. Im getting a little worried. Its been 8 hours since he ate the gauze
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2012, 05:27 AM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

What do you mean by "strands" -since it is out of the ordinary, I would be on the phone with the vet. Whatever you do, do NOT pull on anything that is coming out.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.