acute onset of foot knuckling over and hind end weakness - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2012, 04:20 PM   #21 (permalink)
Elite Member

This morning, in my vet's office, Max could not flip his back feet when they were turned over. I could have cried. He can flip them over when he walks, but not when he stands still.

Sabra - female GSD - born April 30, 2012
Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Max - rescued GSD - Dec 22, 2010 to March 7, 2012 - at the bridge
Sable - rescued GSD - at the bridge
WVGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

But he can walk. That's really something. It's not going to get worse, btw. It can only get better from here, or stay the same but as long as his legs work (to walk) and as long as he has bowel and bladder control, that's way more than our boy had...be grateful it's not worse because it could sure be worse.
Keep him rested for now but when the dr. gives the go ahead, get him moving and keeping his strength up.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #23 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

What is the recovery course for this? Is it over time slowly and then rebuilding or is it dramatic. I know when my vet gave steroids he was looking for very noticeable resolution in a few days.

We can still look at Grim (no dx but that is a possibility maybe) and see something is not right but it is MUCH better. [two weeks]

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #24 (permalink)
Elite Member

The recovery possibility for Max is everything from slight impairment to a full recovery. He is up, walking, eating, happy, trotting around and still very clumsy. The most difficulty that he has is with getting his hindquarters and legs under his body from a lying down or resting position. When he trots, his hind legs go all over the place to the left and right sides. He is happy, trying to jump and his affect is no different than it was prior to Sunday. On Sunday, he was very worried about his physical abilities and, at times, looked panicked when trying to move around. He is noticeably improved from Sunday, yet remains clumsy and with the inability to turn his hind feet over when they are flipped. He hesitates when going up and down stairs, but can still do this and my vet encouraged me to have him continue doing this as it makes him think about where his hind feet are.

I am thankful that he is doing as well as he is because it is not an option for me to have a 90+ pound dog that can not ambulate on his own long-term.

Sargeant - rescued senior GSD male/foster failure - approximately ten years old (August 2013)
Old 02-28-2012, 10:09 AM   #25 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am so glad to hear this. Please keep us posted about his recovery.

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 02-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Caja's Mom

Caja had an FCE and has almost completely recovered. We sent her to a rehab place which made her movement much better. She now has made it into the top 100 for GSD's in flyball, which has happened after the FCE.

Ziberia (Panther) v alten Wingertshaus, BH, IPO 1, AD, CGC

Caja v. d. bosen hohle BH, SchH 1, TR2, OB2, WH, FDCH-S, CGC, TDI.
Caja's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVGSD View Post

I am thankful that he is doing as well as he is because it is not an option for me to have a 90+ pound dog that can not ambulate on his own long-term.
Quite honestly this is why we chose euthanasia for our dog. His impairment was quite a bit worse than yours, my husband could barely lift him and assist him in a sling, and Yaeger would fall over backwards when attempting to have a BM. His urine was leaking all over, he developed a rash rather quickly from that. It was felt that he'd heal best being crated and because of everything else and his legs were useless, he'd just injure himself further if we tried.
It was an extremely difficult decision on one hand but simple on the other. He was traumatized, mentally, as he couldn't hold his bladder (and barely hold his bowels) and it is tough for an 8yr. old dog who has been housetrained his whole life, to be in that position.
Our daughter, whom Yaeger had taken it upon himself to be "her dog" years earlier, took it hardest, she was 14 at the time.

We were told also that recovery could be up to 8-10 weeks. But if the dog has less damage than apparently Yaeger did, the prognosis would be fairly good.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #28 (permalink)
Elite Member

Unhappy Update

When I came home this evening, Max was uncoordinated all over again. He is falling, staggering, has no balance and is partially dragging his hindquarters. I managed to get a call in to my vet just before they closed at 6 p.m. and he told me to give him an increased dose of Prednisone which I did. When his office opens in the morning, we will be waiting for him to walk in the door. At this point, I am beyond worried.

I was just about to post that Max was recovering and improving before I got home today. He was still "different", but was vastly improved from last week. Now, we are back to square one all over again.

The worst part of it is that Max knows that something is wrong. His eyes say it all.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:00 PM   #29 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

OMG, I am so sorry to hear that. Please keep us posted. I will put Max in my prayers tonight.

Old 03-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am so sorry you and Max are going through this. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
mysweetkaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.