We Need help with FHO recovery - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy We Need help with FHO recovery

we are desperate for some sage advice- our 1 1/2 yr old rescue was born with HD ibn both hips- he had a THR last March was released from Dr with good report card in July- in Dec we noticed him not bearing much weight and on occasion 3 legging it- returned to surgeon for radiographs and we were told implant was being rejected- slowly working its way out- an FHO was suggested- had the surgery done in Jan- 40 staples were removed 1 week ago- not using foot at all -we have been to therapy for laser- to weak for water treadmill- Surgeon wants us to come back for more radiographs to see if "somthing else is going on"
somebody please tell me this is somewhat normal???
thanks
Kim and Rococco
kim stack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

He will start using it when he feels comfortable. It can take a month, two months or one week, depends on the dog. You have to remember that once the femoral head is removed and muscle put between the end of the bone and the acetablum, until a false joint forms,is feels funny to the dog and is wobbly at first. Not alot of stability in a floating bone and the hip joint.
If he is not in pain and everything else is fine, just give him time. Do you take him for walks? Take him for slow walks on a bit of an incline, he might start using it, will put down toes first.. I swam my girl, in a pond. she had no choice but to paddle with it, but did not have to put it down. Did you do plenty of range of motion exercises? Stretching the leg back and forth like he was walking?
wyominggrandma is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 08:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

thanks for responding- no Dr had mentioned anything about range of motion exercise- they were very clear on no walking until staples out- only potty- we do walk now- 3-4-times a day with short leash-I try to push him into walking on his leg but he stops dead- he cries in pain when getting up from laying down- does not "sit" at all or lay on side of surgery - still takes pain meds 3 times a day, anti-inflam, muscle relaxer and a sedative - sleeps alot
I thought I had read that it is important to get the scar tissue to form as soon as possible after surgery
kim stack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Well, I did not crate rest at all, I wanted her up and moving immediately and started doing range of motion exercises the day after surgery. I did range motions while she laid down, I moved the leg front to back like she was walking. Did this ten to twenty times 3 or 4 times a day. I let her do whatever she wanted and encouraged her to walk and move around.She had one done, then 12 weeks later the second one, did the same with both legs. I also had a Sheltie with bad HD, did the same surgery and workouts as with the GSD.
Scar tissue starts forming immediately after surgery, doing exercises will not hinder scar tissue at all.What does concern me is that by not moving that leg, the muscles and tendons and ligaments might not be able to stretch out now without pain and that is why he is crying and still taking meds. Now, to make the leg work, the muscles/ligaments/tendons will have to stretch to work right. I imagine they have atrophied and it will take work to get them working.Any pools near you? I would suggest lots of swimming where he doesn't have to "touch" the leg down, but will not just let it hang while swimming. If the water treadmill is deep enough, put him on it and let him walk, he will eventually have to start using the leg to balance and swim..
I think at this point, I would walk and walk and walk and take him up and down inclines and swim him if you can. Its sorta like making a person do physical therapy, its hurts, but needs to be done.
I am not a vet, nor trying to be, just had lots of experience with my own dogs and FHO and plenty of them done at the clincs I work at.
wyominggrandma is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 10:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I need help with my FHO recovery. I think my GS has hurt the good leg!! She is limping very badly and sits down right away when we go out.
sanders1113 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sadie is four weeks out from FHO. She was doing great but something must have happened last night. We were at the park walking and she started limping more than normal. We came home and to the crate for rest. This a.m. still limping. Now after watching her, I think it is the good "non-surgical" leg that is bothering her. HELP!! Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Old 03-20-2014, 07:45 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Call the vet.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #8 (permalink)

I did this a.m. We have an appointment tomorrow at 10. I pray it is just from overuse. She was doing sooo well!! Please say a prayer. She is 7 months old and very active. I don't know what happened....
Thank you for responding to me.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

How are things?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.