Bitch eats pups, Is that hereditary? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bitch eats pups, Is that hereditary?

I have just got a puppy, and I am concerned she may inherit a behavior her mom displayed.

I met the parents of my puppy before the pups were born, and both had amazing temperaments. The breeder was affiated with a woman who trains guide dogs, and his dogs were very well trianed and appeared to be very healthy. They had level backs and he assured me there were no health problems. The mother was so nice, and didn't show a hint of aggression. She was a total sweetheart and I put a down payment on a puppy. Since the pups were born I have learned a few other things about the mom.

From what I know, the mother of my puppy is two years old and has had atleast two, possibly three litters. The first i am unsure if it really happened. The breeder has said she was a great mom with a previous litter, and thats all i have to go by( this could have been bull****) The second (or first litter i know 100% has happened) she ate the pups, two of ten were saved, and then the breeder decided to breed her again and low and behold she ate a pup again. This time he took the pups away from her.

I had no idea that she had eaten pups in previous litters before. Im pretty pissed off about that. So, the situation is complicated, but where I am now is I have one of the four puppies saved from the third litter, and I am bottle feeding her. She is two weeks, doing amazing, very stong and growing well.

My question is, could my little girl inherit the trait the mother had of eating the pups? I know some dogs are just not good mothers, but does that mean the saved pups will be bad mothers also?
Pendo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla

Others who definitely know more will come in with excellent answers.

What I can say is WOW, you've taken on a huge job. And you are typing coherently for the lack of sleep there is no doubt you haven't had.

Congrats to the proud new parent
Twyla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 10:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendo View Post
I have just got a puppy, and I am concerned she may inherit a behavior her mom displayed.

I met the parents of my puppy before the pups were born, and both had amazing temperaments. The breeder was affiated with a woman who trains guide dogs, and his dogs were very well trianed and appeared to be very healthy. They had level backs and he assured me there were no health problems. The mother was so nice, and didn't show a hint of aggression. She was a total sweetheart and I put a down payment on a puppy. Since the pups were born I have learned a few other things about the mom.

From what I know, the mother of my puppy is two years old and has had atleast two, possibly three litters. The first i am unsure if it really happened. The breeder has said she was a great mom with a previous litter, and thats all i have to go by( this could have been bull****) The second (or first litter i know 100% has happened) she ate the pups, two of ten were saved, and then the breeder decided to breed her again and low and behold she ate a pup again. This time he took the pups away from her.

I had no idea that she had eaten pups in previous litters before. Im pretty pissed off about that. So, the situation is complicated, but where I am now is I have one of the four puppies saved from the third litter, and I am bottle feeding her. She is two weeks, doing amazing, very stong and growing well.

My question is, could my little girl inherit the trait the mother had of eating the pups? I know some dogs are just not good mothers, but does that mean the saved pups will be bad mothers also?
Wait... the breeder gave you the puppy after taking it away from it's mom? Are the other pups with their families now too or are they together as a litter? Also, are you planning on breeding your girl and that's why your asking?

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wouldn't worry about it being inherited, just dont breed your girl and you never have to worry about it.
TheNamesNelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNamesNelson View Post
I wouldn't worry about it being inherited, just dont breed your girl and you never have to worry about it.
This

Tango, lab mix 10/01/2000
Scarlett, cattle dog mix 04/01/2007
Sasha, GSD 02/01/2008
sashadog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 11:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes. He gave me. The dog tO bottle feed. I know, he should be doing it but like I said its a complicated situation. I never planned on breeding the dog before I got her, and even now I don't plan on it, I just wonder if I decided that I might like to would the option be there. Bottle feeding one dog has been difficult, I couldn't imagine doing it for ten. But even so, it's just something you wonder you know? Her mom seemed like such a great dog, and then did that. I just wOnder if it is hereditary.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

There were five pups. One was eaten,I have my little Pendo, Two others had down payments on a dog and those two went to other families also bOttle feeding. The lasts dog died in the breeders care at three or four days old.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

...people PAID for two week old puppies?

I would not breed any dog from this litter. As nice as they may seem, they obviously aren't coming from a breeder with any knowledge or compassion for GSD's if they are SELLING two week old puppies.

Good luck with your girl, I hope she does well with you.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:51 PM   #9 (permalink)
Elite Member

That "breeder" should be paying *you* to take on that task. In many locations, it's illegal to sell a dog at that age--even if they had to take her away from her mom.

It *may* be inherited--in general, if a bitch kills her puppies, she should not be bred again.

BlackthornGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It is certainly uncommon, but not unheard of. If the dam is under stress she might kill or even eat her puppies. The lady who was performing Physical Therapy on my dad's shoulder, told me that they rescued a pregnant bitch and she ate her puppies. But then they let her be bred again and she was fine with the second litter. Personally, I do not think that it is indicative of good character. GSD bitches tend to be awesome mothers, and often foster other species. I would think that the risk that a pup out of such a situation, who did not have the experience of being in the litter with a dam, would be too high to breed her.

I do not think this really happens often enough to prove it as a heritable trait. Genetic, environmental, stress -- no matter how it comes about it does not sound like a good idea to breed her again or her offspring.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.