Limping on Front Legs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Limping on Front Legs

I am brand new to this website. I made an account, because I am worried about my 7 month old German Shepherd puppy, Krueger. For about two weeks now Krueger has been limping off and on. He mostly limps on his front right leg. When he sits down, he puts his paw in the air and will not allow it to touch the ground. He will also try to give me his paw as much as possible. Over the weekend, the limping has been getting worse. He is barely putting any pressure on his front right leg. I currently have him laying on a heating blanket to see if warmth would help if it's a muscle issue.

I have looked at his paws, and nothing seems out of the ordinary. I touch, rub, and squeeze his paw and legs to see if I can find the area of pain. He hasn't given me a whimper or anything when I touch his paw/leg.

We do have a year and a half year old Rottweiler who weighs about 130 pounds. Krueger and him play rough at times. This could be a cause if something is strained or pulled.

I am just writing this entry to see if anyone else has experienced this sort of problem with their German Shepherds. I will take him to the vet in two days (my day off) if the problem does not get better. He's my little baby and I just want him to feel better.
kayciep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

My first guess is Pano...growing pains.
Old 02-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBaman View Post
My first guess is Pano...growing pains.
That is a possibility! Didn't think about that. He is the perfect age for that and I think the limping has switched. I believe it started in the left leg.
kayciep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

I would recommend x-rays, only way to tell for sure.
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2012, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

i am having the same issue as you, exactly. Sarge (almost 9 months) has been limping for close to a week now on his right leg. I have been told it is growing pains, but i am getting a little worried. He seems a little better today and i will keep my eye on it. At least I am not the only one

Sarge vom Buchonia 5/20/2011

Jackson-----------JRT 2/14/2000
Smoktya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 05:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

well here we are waylon not doin well again what a rough young life he has lived he is 1 year 1 month old now he has done well since having part of his intestine removed we now have him on blue food cause he itched so bad on other foods he now is not feeling well and not eating anytime he is left outside very long he comes in limping on his right rear leg he has now been limping for like 3 days last time i took him to vet for his leg they found nothing give him some meds for discomfort after a couple days he was ok any suggestions think he is not eating cause of his leg
waylon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2012, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

I had the same exact thing happen to my girl when she was about 8 months. However, the limping only lasted about a week. It eventually just went away. I was sooo scared and angry at the same time because she had just came back from the vet. I was thinking they did something to her. Anyways, I hope everything goes well for you. Best of luck!
GSDkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 02:49 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Limping on front leg

We are experiencing the same issue with our 8 month puppy. He holds his left front paw up when he sits and limbs when he walks. He whines, pants, and wants to be held. We gave him an anti-inflamatory pill and made him a calming tea which he mixed with beef broth so he could drink it.
pusenka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

What kind of anti-inflammatory pill?
Old 02-25-2013, 09:36 AM   #10 (permalink)

If it is a gradual onset the two biggest rule-outs would be elbow dysplasia and pano. The treatment is quite different so a trip to the vet would, IMO, be in order.
-and- on the web
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.