Neopar Vaccine - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2012, 03:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
I don't get the part about giving it at 3 weeks. I have heard there are some new strains of Parvo in the past few years so a new vaccine that covers the new strains is great but how would this vaccine be any different than any other vaccine with regard to recommended age of the puppies? I don't see the point in even giving a vaccine at 6 weeks if the puppies have not been weaned unnaturally early? Wouldn't the maternal antibodies still have the same effect as on any other vaccine?

I think that is where the question lies. I have a call into my vet to get some information from her. Also - I have a co-worker who just bought at GSD puppy. She is taking him in today for his well puppy check. She is going to ask her vet as well regarding the Neopar. Her breeder didn't give the vaccine. Hope to find out more today.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #12 (permalink)
Doc
Elite Member

Neopar can be given as early as 3 weeks - it does not have to be given at that age. Several breeders are experiencing Parvo out breaks with pups that were vaccinated at 6 weeks or later. If a breeder has had Parvo in the past, Neopar offers an option for earlier vaccination.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 03:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Thanks Doc!
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 01-30-2012, 04:21 PM   #14 (permalink)
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

I'd love to learn more about this thing as well. I'd never heard of the Neopar until very recently when another breeder I was visiting mentioned that she'd started using it, but she really didn't know much about it.

We've always just done distemper/parvo at 8, 12, 16 weeks. Never had a case of parvo. Never want to. And the talk of new strains is concerning.

For those using it, or who know others who use it, what vaccination protocol are you following then? Neopar for the first parvo shot early (3 or 5 or 6 weeks or whatever) then Neopar again for the rest of the puppy shots? Or Neopar early, then a regular combo vaccine with distemper for the standard puppy shots?

If the Neopar really does cover additional strains that the common parvo vaccines don't, that would be good reason to use it for the rest of the puppy shots. Only problem there is that while different parvo vaccines can be purchased separately, I'm not aware of any company that makes a distemper only vaccine. Distemper seems to always be packaged in combo shots with other things, including parvo.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My co-worker just returned from her clinic. Her vet stated from what he understood there is a new strain of Parvo. Many infected dogs were sent to Texas A/M and they found a new European strain of Parvo. Because it's new, the old parvo tests do not hit positive for it.

However, not all vets offer it yet. Mostly vets in Texas as that is where the outbreak has come from.

Her vet warns that Neopar isn't a magic drug and there should still be caution taken with puppies until they receive all of their scheduled shots.

Disclaimer: This is is third party information. My co-worker's vet told her, and she told me.
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Neopar can be given as early as 3 weeks - it does not have to be given at that age. Several breeders are experiencing Parvo out breaks with pups that were vaccinated at 6 weeks or later. If a breeder has had Parvo in the past, Neopar offers an option for earlier vaccination.

The puppies were vaccinated at 6 weeks but at what age did they come down with Parvo? It would be pretty devastating to have the puppies come down with Parvo while at the breeders so much contamination to be concerned about with future litters. I think I would be more concerned with keeping future litters isolated from any areas the parvo puppies had been in contact with than taking a chance that earlier vaccinations will take.

My friends puppy is just recovering from Parvo the puppy was a little older when she got her. I think about 12 weeks and she thought the puppy had got its puppy shots up to the 12 week ones. It turns out the puppy had had shots at 6 weeks and 9 weeks I think. In this case I think the problem was that the shots were given to early. Isn't that the reason the 12 week shots are recommended because often the earlier shots don't "take" due to the maternal antibodies?

I know for puppy classes in my area it is common to accept puppies after a 12 week shots but not earlier.

Last edited by Clyde; 01-30-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwenhwyfair View Post
Nope, southeast.

The breeder I mentioned her sister is in TX though. She had her dogs UTD vaccinated (NOT with neopar) and still had an outbreak of parvo which is how she learned about neopar being better.....
What age of dogs were affected? Adults also?
Clyde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 08:10 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I *think* some were adults...I will e.mail our Aussie breeder and ask...I'll let you know what she says.

Quote:
What age of dogs were affected? Adults also?
Old 01-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #19 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
The puppies were vaccinated at 6 weeks but at what age did they come down with Parvo? It would be pretty devastating to have the puppies come down with Parvo while at the breeders so much contamination to be concerned about with future litters. I think I would be more concerned with keeping future litters isolated from any areas the parvo puppies had been in contact with than taking a chance that earlier vaccinations will take.
That's what I am wondering too.

I know there are parvo outbreaks all the time in shelters because it just keeps going around and around.

I had not heard of it "starting" somewhere. Yikes. Always more to be parvonoid about.

Canine: Parvovirus (CPV) | UC Davis Koret Shelter Medicine Program

Baker Institute : Animal Health : Canine Parvovirus

How Parvo Infection Happens

I am googling and trying to find information on a new strain beyond the one that was discussed in 2008? (http://www.petconnection.com/blog/2008/02/08/parvo/ and http://www.avma.org/animal_health/ca...ovirus_faq.asp) Well, I am seeing stuff on "F," but not anything that seems legit?

Would love to see some research on this Neopar beyond what the company is marketing and selling.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:01 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Update:

I got a letter back from our Aussie breeder. Her sister is in Texas.

She wrote that her sister's dogs were young when they contracted parvo, between 4 and 6 months old. They DID have their full series of shots completed. This was the first time any of her dogs have had parvo.

The odd thing is she lives out in the country, no close neighbors and not a lot of vistors.

They think a coyote or skunk may have been a carrier.

Our Aussie breeder gives the first neopar shot at 6 weeks.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.