How much exercise is too much? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default How much exercise is too much?

Another thread in a different forum has me wondering. How much exercise is too much for a GSD? The reason I ask is couple of friends of mine would run their Golden Retriever 30-40 or more miles a week. They loved it, the dog loved, everyone was happy. At around 7 or 8 years old, the dog became crippled with major joint problems. The vet said the running caused the damage, which devastated my friends even more. What is a reasonable amount of running, at say between a 7 and 8 minute mile pace, depending on the length of the runs?
ChiliD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Grandmother passed away from lung cancer and she never smoked. My point is, I don't think you can just say, you run a lot, the dog has joint problems... must be the running. Especially just running. 5 miles at a human joggers pace is barely a trot for a dog. Lots of jumping, running down hills, etc... is a different story.
Lenny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 03:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

It completely depends on the terrain, the age the dog was started, how the dog was conditioned and most importantly GENETICS!

A lot of people recommend only free play, with small walks for puppies, to keep the stress on their bodies down. As they age, you slowly build up endurance and types of activities(hiking, swimming, jumping, running, biking etc). Waiting until joints are fully formed before repetitive activities are practiced is also key, young dogs need diversity in their exercise routines, to break up repetitive stress on joints (swimming being one of the best!). But one of the biggest components is going to be genetics. Having dogs bred from dogs that have low incidents of joint issues/malformations, is the best way to reduce your dogs chances of having them.
N Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

We have an 11 month old GSD. Her main type of exercise is ball retrieving and walks. I am concerned that we may be over doing it with the ball. We use a chuck it and throw the ball as far as we can, she will fun full out to get it and run back to us. She really loves it. We will throw the ball for about an hour interspersed with a few periods of a moderate walk. We have done this since she was about 5 months. Recently we have also taken her to a parking lot to throw the ball.(after hours- no cars not near any roads) when it is too muddy or icy to go to the park. She comes from a good line with no hip or joint problems, but now I am concerned that we could be causing joint damage.
Bavitale@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2014, 01:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

As noted, it depends on what type of exercise, what intensity, and what terrain. One good way to resolve it with an active dog is swimming. It's pretty hard core cardio, but without the risk of joint and other types of damage...
dcg9381 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.