Cost for a gastropexy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2012, 02:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Cost for a gastropexy?

I just inquired at the DFW Veterinary Surgery center about the cost for a laparoscopic gastropexy. The difference between a laparoscopic procedure and the conventional one is that it is done with only two 1/2-inch incisions (one for the scope and one for the instruments) instead of having to cut the abdomen open. They quoted me $1500-$2000 for the procedure.

Those of you who have had a gastropexy done, how much did you pay? Does this sound reasonable?

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I guess location is everything. My vet has performed many gastropexies with success. Hogan was recently pexied for 190.00

It was not lapeoscopic. I liked that he was open and things gotten to easily. His recovery was quick and easy.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

OK, I just called Texas A&M teaching hospital and they quoted me $450. Yikes what a difference! It's a ways away but worth it.

I really prefer the laparoscopy. I had to have a laparoscopy myself two years ago and surgery was a breeze and recovery was quick. The surgeon told me mine was difficult because they had a hard time finding what they were looking for, but from my prospective it was immeasurably easier than open-abdomen surgery.

At the Bridge:
Old 01-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

That sounds like a much better deal! Glad you looked around.

As director of surgery, I have do understand the advantages and disadvantages of laparoscopic versus open procedures and the skills required of surgeons of in the respective procedures. Lap is incredible technology. It is just with my experience with so many dogs and open pexies, that I could not find a great advantage in this instance. Recovery so easy in the healthy dog with minimal discomfort as long as you have a vet knowledgable in post op pain control. The recovery to feeling good is so quick... almost too quick!
Old 01-05-2012, 05:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Interesting, I'll keep that in mind. Would you suggest sticking with a teaching hospital or surgery center, or is this something that can be trusted to your average vet like a spay?

At the Bridge:
Old 01-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

How common is it for GSD owners to have this procedure done? I talked with a friend who had it for his GSD. However, I approached my vet about doing it and he didn't particularly rec for GSD, though for deeper chested dogs like Great Danes he felt it should always be done.

I'm torn about the issue.
kitmcd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2012, 05:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would not go to an average vet for this. One vet in town has had his gastropexies fail one after the other! You want to go to someone with a good track record with their gastropexy technique. I know it is difficult finding out about practitioners in larger met areas.

The university should be good. Ask the surgeon how many they have done and if they have seen failures resulting in torsions. I would take one of mine to the university if my vet could not do it. I have found the university vets here very easy to talk to and forthcoming with information. Hope you experience the same.

My vet has GSDs and all his dogs are pexied. After all the years, I can not tell you how many GSDs I know who have died from torsion. I lost one to it and saved one with expensive surgery. My friend who shows has all of her GSDs done. I sleep much better at night now that Hogan is pexied. My friend just had both of his pexied. Nothing worse than an emergency trip with torsion or the awful event of finding them deceased from a horrible death of suffocation and pain.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitmcd View Post
How common is it for GSD owners to have this procedure done? I talked with a friend who had it for his GSD. However, I approached my vet about doing it and he didn't particularly rec for GSD, though for deeper chested dogs like Great Danes he felt it should always be done.

I'm torn about the issue.
Well, my pup's sire died a few months ago of bloat. He was only 5 years old. When I found that out, I did a little more digging and found out that his paternal grandsire's litter and their offspring had a relatively high incidence of dying young from bloat. Of course we don't know all the causes of bloat, but with a family history like this I feel like it's good idea to get the gastropexy.

At the Bridge:
Old 01-05-2012, 05:28 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

With that family history, I would certainly have the procedure done.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:33 PM   #10 (permalink)

We have a university with a vet school a couple hours away. I will contact them for information. Thanks
kitmcd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.