German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Health Issues (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/)
-   -   Chronic Renal Failure in Senior (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/health-issues/173508-chronic-renal-failure-senior.html)

Jax08 12-29-2011 10:42 AM

Chronic Renal Failure in Senior

Original thread
http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...ml#post2341535

Bloodwork today showed early stages of chronic renal failure. We are moving forward with getting her nasty infected teeth out today to get rid of that poison (and I'm sure that contributed to the CRF).

Diet - Raw diet. Doc suggested reducing protein. BUT..isn't the key to reduce phosphorus more than protein? Any input on this?

Fluid intake - anything special? just increased water? does she need added electrolytes?

Anything else to take out of her diet? Fatty items like pork?

Vege/Fruit to replace part of her meat portion - what ones? Again, is phosphorus a concern? What to keep carbs low due to possible mast cell tumor. So what foods are good and BALANCED?

mysweetkaos 12-29-2011 10:44 AM

No knowledge on any of the diet questions...wish I could help. Just wanted to say sorry you are going through all of this with her.

Jax08 12-29-2011 10:55 AM

Thanks. I think this is our fault. We didn't get her teeth done when she was 10 because she had a re-occurrence of growths that looked like the mast cell she had before. So we decided to let her be, thinking the mast cell cancer would take her long before now. Two years later, here we are and her teeth should have been taken out two years ago. We did this to her by making the wrong choice. :(

Jax08 12-29-2011 11:00 AM

Any opinions on this info?

http://www.windyhollowvet.com/Docume...ailureDiet.pdf

Marnie 12-29-2011 11:16 AM

I have a 20+ year old cat suffering with kidney disease. In my case the cat will only eat certain foods. Hills makes a special canned Kidney diet that is helping. When we started the subcutaneous fluids, the test results swung back to almost normal ranges. These are the things that were recommended to me. Good luck.

carmspack 12-29-2011 12:19 PM

what I am sending you will provide the fats -- high in omega 3 and natural complex 4 tocopherols , 4 tocotrienol Vitamin E. Most vitamin E capsules are alpha tocopherol (for human use) . A complete Vitamin E would have alpha, beta , gamma (high interest in studies for anti cancer) and delta . A sample of some research just to whet your interest
Differences Between Alpha and Gamma Tocopherol

Alpha tocopherol is the best known form of vitamin E and is found in the largest quantities in blood and tissue. It is critical, however, for anyone supplementing with vitamin E to make sure they are also getting adequate gamma tocopherol each day.
The key benefit is gamma tocopherol’s ability to dramatically reduce inflammatory threats, a major cause of virtually all degenerative diseases. Current research supports the importance of gamma tocopherol in preventing numerous components of the degenerative diseases associated with aging.2,3
http://www.germanshepherds.com/magaz...gamma-e_02.jpgAtherosclerosis
Although little known to the general public, gamma tocopherol is the form of vitamin E most prevalent in our natural diets. In addition to it’s impressive antioxidant capacity, gamma tocopherol possesses key functions critical to our well-being.4,5 It is now recognized that gamma tocopherol, like alpha tocopherol, is retained in the body and delivered to tissues.6
Gamma tocopherol has far more powerful anti-inflammatory actions than does the alpha form. Further, it is more potent at inhibiting certain inflammatory cytokines in cell culture and in living animals.7-9 And it inhibits production of stress-related “heat shock proteins” that result from inflammatory stimuli.10 Kidney dialysis patients, with huge inflammatory stresses, show reduced markers of inflammation when supplemented with gamma tocopherol.11
A complete E would have alpha , beta, gamma and delta tocotrienol. Gamma trocotrienol triggers cancer cell apotosis . Tocotrienols " “results demonstrate that gamma-tocotrienol is a potent inhibitor of NF-kappaB activation, which may explain its anti-angiogenic, anti-proliferative, proapoptotic, antimetastatic, anti-inflammatory, and immunomodulatory effects.” Moreover, they pointed out that their “data are in agreement with other published reports that tocotrienol is a superior molecule among the members of the family of Vitamin E” (13).

The new oil has one of the richest sources for omega 3 , and the richest sources for complex E , complete 4 tocopherols , 4 tocotrienols plus gamma oryzanol which has shown to counter the effects of chemotherapy and radiation . Animal studies have shown promising results in cancer .

The Vitamin E used in commercial dog food is alpha tocopherol , most likey a synthetic form , indicated by dl - prefix -- which is just not the same as a natural for --

"Alpha-tocopherol is the most biologically active form of vitamin E, and its natural form consists of one isomer.

In contrast, synthetic alpha-tocopherol contains eight different isomers, of which only one (about 12 percent of the synthetic molecule) is identical to natural vitamin E.

The other seven isomers range in potency from 21 percent to 90 percent of natural d-alpha-tocopherol.

This may appear to be arcane nutritional chemistry, but it is key to understanding how the body absorbs natural and synthetic supplements differently.

Molecular structure determines how the body uses vitamin E. Researchers have found that natural vitamin E assimilates far better than synthetic versions. Specific binding and transport proteins produced in the liver select the natural d-alpha form of vitamin E and largely ignore all other forms."

Carmen
Carmspack Working German Shepherd Dogs

http://www.germanshepherds.com/LEFCM...closelabel.gif

mysweetkaos 12-29-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 2347648)

Seems reasonable and makes sense health wise. Of course the disclaimer is I am a no expert.;) I don't even play one on TV!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 2347642)
Thanks. I think this is our fault. We didn't get her teeth done when she was 10 because she had a re-occurrence of growths that looked like the mast cell she had before. So we decided to let her be, thinking the mast cell cancer would take her long before now. Two years later, here we are and her teeth should have been taken out two years ago. We did this to her by making the wrong choice. :(

I know it's easy to feel at fault....but please don't. There are some things you just can't know. Had I been in the same situation I would have assumed the same thing about the tumor and not opted for dental work . If that helps at all.......You obviously love her very much and take great care of her, so please don't beat yourself up.

Jax08 12-29-2011 12:47 PM

Thanks Carmen. That covers the fatty oils completely. Your Feed-Sentials will cover keeping her diet balanced so I'll have to order that since I only ordered the Sunday Sundae with some samples of feed-sentials and the oil.

so, the only question I have is phosphorus vs protein requirements. I'll have to look up the amounts in all the foods we feed her and figure out what to sub in to keep the phosphorus levels low. I know we have a mix of turkey neck and hearts down there that will be high in phosphorus.

Jax08 12-29-2011 12:51 PM

Thank you mysweetkaos. I wonder if her kidney function will recover some when the teeth are gone and the toxins are removed from her system. I hope so. I'm sure she'll feel better. She was boxing DH and Jax this morning before we left. :)

mysweetkaos 12-29-2011 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jax08 (Post 2347784)
Thank you mysweetkaos. I wonder if her kidney function will recover some when the teeth are gone and the toxins are removed from her system. I hope so. I'm sure she'll feel better. She was boxing DH and Jax this morning before we left. :)

It would stand to reason that once her kidneys are not having the extra toxin from her teeth that that energy could go elsewhere. I used to work as a nurse (before I became caretaker to 3 kids and 2 dogs:D) So from human standpoint yes it would help. I did my grandpa's dialysis for a few years, so I know a "little" about kidneys. As for food....I don't know much. I know wellness core is high in protien, but not sure on phosphorus levels....it looks like you feed raw though....so I have beyond no knowledge, if that's possible:blush: Isn't it nice to see when our seniors get crazy bursts of energy....sounds silly but nothing makes me happier than watching Kaos chase Sherman and trying to fit his whole head in his mouth, that means it's a good day!!