Best age to spay or neuter? - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Knighted Member

Give her time to grow up. At least one year, ideally two years. She won't die of cancer one day because you waited for her to finish growing.

SG S-Hunter vom Geistwasser CA CGN TT ATD (Airport Wildlife Control K9)
Zenna vom Geistwasser NTD

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
It won't cause the earth to stop spinning or the sun to stop rising if you spay now.
Nor will it cause the earth to stop spinning or the sun to stop rising if you wait and spay later.

I am of the opinion that hormones are for more than reproduction. If I am going to spay, it is AFTER they have reached maturity.

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #43 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Crowned Member

Had to kick the hornet's nest, didn't you Anthony?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 4 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM

post #44 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 05:37 PM

My girl is 2 years now and I am only just considering neutering her. I am so happy I didnt take vets advice and get her done as a puppy. She hs matured beutifully with each season - was quite a difficult puppy - so this has made a massive difference to her concentration levels, training and our relationship. I initially held off neutering because I wanted her to be physically mature (lots of research indicate much healthier choice) but it has been the emotional maturity which has benefited us both.
post #45 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-12-2012, 06:41 PM

they say 6 months before they go into heat is best to spay or nuter them. If your not planing on bredding i would do it very soon or you will have watch when she goes in heat.
post #46 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 02:42 PM

have male & female 14 weeks not siblings

We have 2 GSD pups, Kina (female) & KC (male) & they are 14 weeks. They were born a day a apart in the same household - two different sets of parents!

Was ready to get them both "fixed" but have read a lot and spoken to many people about it & it seems that we should wait until they have matured, maybe a couple of years.

Any advice on how to protect Kina from getting pregnant? The obvious way would be to keep them apart but knowing when she'll go into heat is one issue as would be totally keeping them separated.

This may sound dumb (& maybe I haven't read far enough into this thread) but do "they" ever do tubal ligations on dogs instead of hysterectomies? (or vasectomies instead of whatever it is they actually do to neuter a male.)?

Kris -
Kina & KC 14weeks GSD
Bo - female pit bull (5y)
post #47 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Crowned Member

You might look into zeutering the boy. I guess they stick a small gage needle into each testicle and put in a drug that causes swelling and the swelling and scar tissues will prevent anymore sperm from being passed, but the testosterone levels will be higher than if you did a complete neuter. They say they have results on dogs for up to ten years, but personally, for my dogs, I think I will pass. But then, I don't spay or neuter without a medical reason to do so.

Yes, keeping the puppies separate, once she shows signs of being in heat, actually once she hits 6 months, you better supervise interaction, because you can miss the first signs of heat as she will most likely clean herself.

The safest method would be to board the boy for three weeks, but who wants a youngster in a boarding facility for close to a month when they still need training and socialization?

If you cannot keep them separate, your best bet would be to spay your bitch around six months to prevent pregnancy. Puppies having puppies is just not kool. If you neuter or zeuter, remember that your boy, if sexually mature, will be able to pass viable sperm for about a month after the zeuter and days after a neuter.

Good luck.

Jenna, RN CGC & Babs, CD RA CGC HIC
Heidi, RA CGC
SG3 Odessa, SchH1, Kkl1, AD
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Hepzibah
post #48 of 84 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kina&KC View Post
Any advice on how to protect Kina from getting pregnant? The obvious way would be to keep them apart but knowing when she'll go into heat is one issue as would be totally keeping them separated.
A friend on the forum recently had an accidental litter because her bitch went into season and didn't show signs. Your best bet is to either spay your female or neuter your male. It's really the only way to make sure she doesn't get pregnant. Females go into silent heats, humans can miss the signs of heat, etc etc.

- 4 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #49 of 84 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 10:52 PM

My GS was neutered just under a week ago. He seems to be healing well. But About 70% of the time when he raises his leg to pee He doesn't pee. He will just stand there with his raised leg for 10 even 20 secs and nothing will come out. I'm wondering of this is normal because it doesn't seem to normal to me. (he's 14 months old)
post #50 of 84 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 AM
Knighted Member

Let us take a step back from the dog world, because overpopulation and spay/neuter due to homeless euthanasia causes too many biased views.

Let us instead look at HUMAN studies. How does castration affect HUMANS? There ARE SOME health concerns in castrated humans, largely bone density loss as they age in many women.

In eunichs castrated during boyhood, numerous health concerns were noted some years later in several studies. Enlarged pituitary glands, thin bones (thinning of the skull), curving of the spine, decreased prostate size...

The body produces hormones for a reason. Not JUST for sexual activity. Hormones, or the lack of, have effects on the body. I think neutering/spaying before sexual maturity CAN cause problems! You remove crucial hormones from the body.

Spaying after the first heat causes a 0.5% increased risk of mammory neoplasia... That is not a risk I would be concerned about, to be honest.

I think many vets recommend early spay and neuter because it is all they have been taught, and because it is preached left and right! And I think many owners are rather naive and unintelligent, and probably SHOULDN'T handle an intact animal, and therefor should spay/neuter early. However, for the responsible owner, I think it is much better to wait.

I fight with the doctors I work with CONSTANTLY because I will NOT neuter my next puppy before 2 years of age. Partially because it is in the contract, but partially because I see no point. And honestly, I may NEVER neuter my next puppy. Again, I don't see a good reason to.

Long-Term Consequences of Castration in Men: Lessons from the Skoptzy and the Eunuchs of the Chinese and Ottoman Courts

http://www.naiaonline.org/pdfs/LongT...uterInDogs.pdf

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville 1/13/13
Zeke
5/25/07 - 2/9/15
Luther
2008 - 7/23/12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page