Best age to spay or neuter? - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 09:43 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
Interesting - because pups we have in rescue that we do prior to adoption already have HD - dx by x-ray. I think if we xrayed pups consistently we would find that the ones who have it after 2, have had it.
OFA states there is pretty good correlation with prelims and the actual 2 year "official" grade:

Quote:
A recent publication* compared the reliability of the preliminary evaluation hip grade phenotype with the 2 year old evaluation in dogs and there was 100% reliability for a preliminary grade of excellent being normal at 2 years of age (excellent, good, or fair). There was 97.9% reliability for a preliminary grade of good being normal at 2 years of age, and 76.9% reliability for a preliminary grade of fair being normal at 2 years of age. Reliability of preliminary evaluations increased as age at the time of preliminary evaluation increased, regardless of whether dogs received a preliminary evaluation of normal hip conformation or HD. For normal hip conformations, the reliability was 89.6% at 3-6 months, 93.8% at 7-12 months, and 95.2% at 13-18 months. These results suggest that preliminary evaluations of hip joint status in dogs are generally reliable. However, dogs that receive a preliminary evaluation of fair or mild hip joint conformation should be reevaluated at an older age (24 months).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 09:53 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I think there is some logic for a male. Muscle development is better with testosterone and good muscles hold hip joints together better. Same reason my dysplastic female is given a lot of excercise.

But, I am a strong advocate of each person needs to weight the pros and cons and come up with what they will do. I do not think there is a clearcut answer.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #33 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 09:56 AM
Crowned Member

Right - that it's not a causation by spay or a neuter - that the HD is already there. We just don't x-ray that many puppies/young dogs at the time of their spay or neuter to know that.

post #34 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

True, I have never heard anybody argue that the surgery causes the condition; the only argument I have heard is muscle development.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #35 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:23 AM

Another reason my vet wants to wait with my particular female is that he said her vulva is "tucked up there pretty tight". With sexual maturation he said that would cause vulva to enlarge and come into a better position......he feels that old age incontinence is much less in female dogs when they were allowed to reach sexual maturity.
post #36 of 84 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 10:30 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
True, I have never heard anybody argue that the surgery causes the condition; the only argument I have heard is muscle development.
Unfortunately I think the way people read some of this stuff is that it does cause it. But I think that's why it's so important to read who is sponsoring/posting the studies - those advocacy groups can make things read that way a little more. We need the "pants on fire" ratings!

post #37 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draugr View Post
Ack, my edit timer ran out before I could hit post. Or, the 10-minute post timer. Y'all know what I mean .

Anyway to confirm my suspicions (because I didn't want to be a negative nancy from just reading a rebuttal paper) I did a bit of digging on Lisa M Howe, DVM, and came up with this:

Association of Shelter Veterinarians: VTFASN Members

Lisa M Howe

Frequently Asked Questions - Texas A&M Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences (her answers are at the bottom - and she also incorrectly claims that dogs and female cats don't have secondary sex characteristics)

I think there are certainly some motivations there that would not necessarily make her 100% objective but I will let you decide on that one. Always be sure to look up the author of a paper and see what you can find on him/her. What sorts of things they are involved with, areas of interest, where their money goes or who is giving them money, etc. What you find does not necessarily make them biased/unbiased on principle but it can help to confirm suspicions if something doesn't "sit right" with you. For instance I found several research papers she has published in the subject at hand with major methodological flaws that were not controlled for.
Indeed--Dr. Howe seems to have spent her entire professional life devoted to the spaying/neutering of shelter animals with no direct interaction with these animals past post-op.
Dr. Zink is an award-winning research biologist/veternarian at John Hopkins with an extensive background in training and competition in canine sports.
post #38 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 AM
Banned

how do you know that it won't???

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Yes, you can spay before her 1st heat to avoid the possibility of breast cancer later on.
Please discuss with your vet.

>>>>It won't cause the earth to stop spinning or the sun to stop rising if you spay now.<<<<
post #39 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Banned

if i were going to spay or neuter
i would wait untill the dog is 2 yrs
to 2&1/2 yrs old.
post #40 of 84 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 10:08 AM
Elite Member

There are tons of threads on this topic. It all comes down to personal preference. I neutered Deuce this past July at 13 months and he's the same dog and growing like a weed. He's 18 months now and weighed in at the vet yesterday at 71 lbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page