Senior Peeing in the house - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2011, 01:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Senior Peeing in the house

Banshee, 12 years, has started peeing in the house in the morning. This morning, while I was laying the couch after surgery yesterday, she refused to go outside for DD. But then within 15 minutes peed on the floor. She has been doing this for quite some time. No reason too. Water is picked up at 9pm, all dogs are taken out at 10pm. This is not a dribble. This a full bladder release. She does this at all hours of the night. It could be anywhere from 1am-6am.

Is this a common problem? How do you handle this? Is this a health issue or a dementia issue? Diapers?
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 01:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

We haven't gotten there yet. Although our vet said to watch for it. It often can signal a lack of muscle control....common if they are already having hind end issues (displasia, arthritis, etc). I think it can also be typical with cognitive function loss. Does she seem to be aware she is doing it? I would do a vet call at least...chances are they will want to see her.

Can I say I feel funny answering your question...I feel underqualified. You seem so knowledgeable and always have good answers. Is this a test
mysweetkaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetkaos View Post
We haven't gotten there yet. Although our vet said to watch for it. It often can signal a lack of muscle control....common if they are already having hind end issues (displasia, arthritis, etc). I think it can also be typical with cognitive function loss. Does she seem to be aware she is doing it? I would do a vet call at least...chances are they will want to see her.

Can I say I feel funny answering your question...I feel underqualified. You seem so knowledgeable and always have good answers. Is this a test
Very good advice and I completely agree with everything you said.

When was banshee's last checkup? At that age, especially when they start losing their bladder control, I say a vet checkup is an absolute must.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

mysweetkaos - I'm just a really good faker!

She just had a check up in November with full bloodwork done and everything was really good. She is a little stiff sometimes but I'm not seeing any signs of debilitating arthritis. We didn't realize it was her that was doing it. We thought it was Sierra (who just does it for kicks, I think) so it was not brought up to the vet at the time.

Banshee has had a couple of accidents during the day right after DH is home to take them out to potty. I have never seen her do it so can't say if she's aware but my guess is yes because it is a full bladder release and a flood. So my guess is she is not going when she's out. The last couple of months she has gone to the door every time someone stands up. It's almost like she doesn't remember that she's been out or just thinks she has to go out. I know her vision is starting to go and I'm guessing she's getting some dementia as well.
Old 12-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
mysweetkaos - I'm just a really good faker!

She just had a check up in November with full bloodwork done and everything was really good. She is a little stiff sometimes but I'm not seeing any signs of debilitating arthritis. We didn't realize it was her that was doing it. We thought it was Sierra (who just does it for kicks, I think) so it was not brought up to the vet at the time.

Banshee has had a couple of accidents during the day right after DH is home to take them out to potty. I have never seen her do it so can't say if she's aware but my guess is yes because it is a full bladder release and a flood. So my guess is she is not going when she's out. The last couple of months she has gone to the door every time someone stands up. It's almost like she doesn't remember that she's been out or just thinks she has to go out. I know her vision is starting to go and I'm guessing she's getting some dementia as well.

Does sound more cognitive to me. Growing up we had an indoor cat who only went out to use the bathroom (my mom refused to have a litter box). As she got older she would meow by the door to go out....come right back in and go in the house. Like you said almost as if forgetting what she went out for. My mom eventually caved and got a litter box when the cat was 18. I know for dogs with beginning dementia, they do offer meds. Although they can not be taken with pain meds if memory serves me right. Be worth checking with your vet about. As for the faking....you're pretty good at it, keep up the good work
mysweetkaos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ChancetheGSD Send a message via Yahoo to ChancetheGSD

You may want to get her tested for a UTI. :/ Zoey will start acting like that when she gets them. (which she's had several in her lifetime) Maybe start her on a triple strength cranberry pill supplement if she does have one, something I prefer to keep my girls on even when they DON'T have them. I've found over the last couple years this has virtually eliminated all Zoeys previous bladder problems. (Knock on wood with my luck lately) While you're there, you can also consult the vet with more options and advice. Because of her age and possible dementia, I'd to take her out more often and make sure she goes when she's out. I'd start treating her about like a puppy again. :/ Make sure she goes out at 10 and then again at 1 and then again at 5 and then again whenever you get up for the day. If that works, stick with it, if she keeps peeing in the house at night then go out even more than that. During the day I'd take her out at least every 2-3 hours to potty if you can. (Maybe hire someone to come let her out if you can't get home due to work, ect) Because of how she's acting, I'd say it's time to go back to pretending you're potty training.

Last edited by ChancetheGSD; 12-09-2011 at 03:32 PM.
ChancetheGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Maybe it is an incontinence thing, has she ever done this while she is laying down? If this is the problem they have a pill that works really well for incontinence, my deceased girl Blue was wearing a diaper untill I started her on those pills, they were a miracle.
dixie-shep/lab 2/21/2013

baby-terrier mix (waiting at the bridge)
1sttimeforgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChancetheGSD View Post
You may want to get her tested for a UTI. .
Possible but I doubt it. I've dealt with UTI's on several occasions and she is not consistently peeing. And it's only at night with the exception of a couple times during the day as stated above.

Quote:
) Maybe start her on a triple strength cranberry pill supplement
This might be a good idea anyways.

Quote:
Because of her age and possible dementia, I'd to take her out more often
She is taken out often. As stated above she will go to the door anytime someone stands up. We let her out then unless she's just been out.

Quote:
make sure she goes when she's out.
Absolutely! Now...please tell DH that. Banshee does not pee on command so you can take her out all day long and if she decides not to go, then she's not going. And I can guarantee you it is not easy to teach her any new tricks.

Quote:
Make sure she goes out at 10 and then again at 1 and then again at 5
We work for a living. She goes out at 6am, 12pm, 5pm. Inbetween 5-10 and again at 10. Since this is not a potty training issue but more of a cognitive treating her like a puppy is not going to do the trick. She does not pee on command like Jax does.

Quote:
(Maybe hire someone to come let her out if you can't get home due to work, ect)
umm...no. Not with a people aggressive dog
Old 12-09-2011, 05:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimeforgsd View Post
Maybe it is an incontinence thing, has she ever done this while she is laying down? If this is the problem they have a pill that works really well for incontinence, my deceased girl Blue was wearing a diaper untill I started her on those pills, they were a miracle.
No. She doesn't dribble either. She was on the DES years ago and we stopped it because she stopped dribbling and peeing when she was unaware of it. This isn't a dribble. She's choosing to pee inside even after she's just been out. This is all recent in the last few months. The more I think about it, the more I think it is dementia.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysweetkaos View Post
I know for dogs with beginning dementia, they do offer meds.
Thanks! To you and Chance! I'll look into this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.