rimadyl - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default rimadyl

My dog has been limping. and we took her to the vet Wednesday. she prescribed some rimadyl as an anti imflammitory, which seems to be working fine, but she still was limping. so we took her back to the vet to get xrays to see if anything serious was causing it, (without sedation) they were able to xray her and were not able to find any major abnormalities. she said for a german shepherd she was very pleased with her hips and knees. so that being said, she prescribed us some more rimadyl to get through the week... as soon as i told my father this he went on saying that rimadyl kills... i have done research and can find no such study, just he- said she said claims about the product.

I just want to know if you have had a personal experience in which the only thing that changed about your dog was adding rimadyl and your dog has passed or is worse off...
or if you have had your dog take it and no problems what so ever.
thanks for your time.

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

chobahn has been on it a few times and did just fine. somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe in older dogs it can affect kidney and or liver function so it's important to do blood work before it's given to the dog. obviously, like any other drug, there are a whole list of side effects like lethargy, upset stomach, etc. but like i said i've never seen any of this from chobahn. maybe i'm just lucky, i don't know. the last time he was on it i raised my concerns about it to a friend of mine that is a vet and he told me that because chobahn is young and is in good health that i shouldn't worry about him taking it for a short period of time. i have heard some scary things about the side effects, but like i said, my dog was always fine.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cta View Post
chobahn has been on it a few times and did just fine. somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe in older dogs it can affect kidney and or liver function so it's important to do blood work before it's given to the dog. obviously, like any other drug, there are a whole list of side effects like lethargy, upset stomach, etc. but like i said i've never seen any of this from chobahn. maybe i'm just lucky, i don't know. the last time he was on it i raised my concerns about it to a friend of mine that is a vet and he told me that because chobahn is young and is in good health that i shouldn't worry about him taking it for a short period of time. i have heard some scary things about the side effects, but like i said, my dog was always fine.
yeah, dia has taken 3 so far, but my as soon as i told my dad thats what she was on he was like "do not give that to her, that killed king...." king had a crazy load of health issues (byb) so i don't think that it was the one pill that caused him to die. but she is 8 months and otherwise in perfect health, just suspected to have sprained or something that can't be seen..

Thanks for taking time to reply, its more helpful than you think
Old 11-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

My girl Crusher was on rimadyl for years--we switched to Deramaxx because of concerns about liver function. Crusher lived to be 14 and a half and never suffered any side effects.
blehmannwa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 04:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yes. Rimadyl can kill, sometimes after a single dose. It is used more cautiously nowadays, but it is often still not used corrextly.

Look for the rimadyl links over at The Senior Dogs Project

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2011, 05:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It should also be noted that veterinarians should be running blood work before prescribing this drug (and other NSAIDs!), and that when prescribing rimadyl in particular, there is a client handout that they are supposed to hand to you.

Shame on every vet that doesn't follow this procedure.

For those of us that remember the many dogs that were dying, a frequent occurrence on the forum, when Rimadyl was being handed out like candy, it's important that we don't let those deaths be in vain.

What to look for, what to do:
http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadyl.ade.steps.html

If you recognize it in time, there is a good chance you can save your dog. Middle aged dogs have died too, young dogs have died. Haven't seen many pups, but I'm not sure if that's because it hasn't been used as much in younger dogs than in more senior dogs, so that skews the stats.

LisaT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

Rimadyl has been associated with a higher level of ADEs (adverse drug experiences) than most most other drgs. You need to have liver monitoring done while on it. And yes, there have been cases of one does of rimadyl causing toxicity in a dog. Vets should discuss possible adverse affects before prescribing and let the owner decide.

This is the actual FDA CVM from 2000

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/.../ucm130903.htm

and a article in 2005 in USA today

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ain-usat_x.htm

Bindi - GSD (standard coat)- High School
Jingles Bell Doyle - (12/1993 - 08/2004)
Binky - my Long Standard Coat GSD dog (1999-2009)
Romeo Bär - Long Hair GSD
Bella Biscuit - GSD mix Rescue born 4/1/2012

Last edited by VegasResident; 11-26-2011 at 04:32 PM.
VegasResident is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
cta
Master Member

i'm just curious about something. when drugs for humans are advertised i know they need to report every single side effect somebody may have experienced during the drug trials. does the same thing go for medications for dogs?
Old 11-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT View Post
It should also be noted that veterinarians should be running blood work before prescribing this drug (and other NSAIDs!), and that when prescribing rimadyl in particular, there is a client handout that they are supposed to hand to you.

Shame on every vet that doesn't follow this procedure.

For those of us that remember the many dogs that were dying, a frequent occurrence on the forum, when Rimadyl was being handed out like candy, it's important that we don't let those deaths be in vain.

What to look for, what to do:
http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadyl.ade.steps.html

If you recognize it in time, there is a good chance you can save your dog. Middle aged dogs have died too, young dogs have died. Haven't seen many pups, but I'm not sure if that's because it hasn't been used as much in younger dogs than in more senior dogs, so that skews the stats.
My vet just prescribed rimadyl to my pup, never mentioning the side effects. Now he has diarrhea and it's making me nervous. I might stop giving it to him altogether as it was just for a soft tissue injury that's on the mend.

I am going to email my vet clinic too--I wasn't given a handout or told the risks related to this prescription. At the very least they should tell their clients to keep a look out for adverse reactions.
ollie_leyna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2011, 07:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have my previous GSD Rimadyl for about a year and she never had any side effects from it. My current GSD was prescribed Rimadyl for an injury when she was younger for about a week and she never showed any side effects or had any problems either.
Pattycakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.